Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MSH Pro Shop closing from 8/26 til first week of September Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

Greetings- 

Has anyone here had an ileostomy? I did on May 3 after complete colon removal.

Hopefully, in 2 months and 2 weeks, I will have my J-pouch reversal operation. The hope is that I will not have a bag after that time. Then a minimum of 6 weeks recovery from surgery, then the slow road to goal tending. I do not see my return to a full 1.5 hour drop-in or game happening until January, going on the slow road to recovery.

If there is anyone here who has experienced anything like this, your input would be most welcome. Thanks for reading.

Edited by bunnyman666

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds brutal! You know about my medical history and it’s not much better, but definitely not the same thing. I wasn’t actually playing hockey yet when I had my surgery so recovery time wasn’t as big a deal. 

Whats the biggest barrier to your return? Pain? Potential of damage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

That sounds brutal! You know about my medical history and it’s not much better, but definitely not the same thing. I wasn’t actually playing hockey yet when I had my surgery so recovery time wasn’t as big a deal. 

Whats the biggest barrier to your return? Pain? Potential of damage? 

If I knew that I was done at the ileostomy bag, I would just buy the $350 “law enforcement rated” ostomy guard and be done with it. If it weren’t for returning to surgery a bit later (I hope!), I would probably just start my return in a few weeks.

I am an instruction follower. If the doctor told me to brush my teeth with a pink toothbrush in order to heal faster, I would. I am going by what others have advised me (and have been through major abdominal surgery) to do as far as major abdominal surgeries go for the time table. David Backes went back in a few weeks, but he is in SUPER shape and would have an abnormally brief healing time. Also- he did not end up with a bag, just some colon resectioned and reattached. I would say potential of damage for the barrier. As long as I have an ostomy, I have potential of hernia. That scares me. 

As far as the long time table for return goes, my aerobic system is shot. I also need to rebuild the strength to shoulder my bag. Even wheeling will be hard at first. Stamina will also be something I lack. 

But I am determined to return.

Edited by bunnyman666

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Age is a big factor. 10 years ago (was 45) I had bilateral hip replacements, was back skating in 3 months, playing again in 6 months. Last September I had right heel achillies surgery and I still walk with a limp after a skate or any exercise (just can't load the tendon up). My surgeon said 6 months for full recovery but another surgeon (looking at getting a bump removed from my left heel) said at my age it will be at least a year before I can put it behind me and get full strength back. For us males, when we go past a certain age and fall off that performance cliff everything slows down really fast. Take it easy, I hope your next op goes to plan and you get back on the ice bag free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Age is a big factor. 10 years ago (was 45) I had bilateral hip replacements, was back skating in 3 months, playing again in 6 months. Last September I had right heel achillies surgery and I still walk with a limp after a skate or any exercise (just can't load the tendon up). My surgeon said 6 months for full recovery but another surgeon (looking at getting a bump removed from my left heel) said at my age it will be at least a year before I can put it behind me and get full strength back. For us males, when we go past a certain age and fall off that performance cliff everything slows down really fast. Take it easy, I hope your next op goes to plan and you get back on the ice bag free.

Thanks for the perspective.

I am just wanting to be certain I do this right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually- I have TWO more surgeries:

1) remove rectum and make pouch in August

2) stoma reversal/ pouch hook up in 3-6 months after pouch is made

So, I have a bit of time to wait. I am going to skate with no hockey for awhile, it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sickwilly said:

I don't have any insight to add, but I hope that your surgeries go well and that you have a smooth recovery. 

I appreciate that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Just wishing you the best....  sounds like you have been dealing with allot.

I appreciate that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: It looks like it may be longer with the bag than anticipated. I ordered an ostomy protector rated for hockey. It looks like if I don’t end up with my J-pouch in August, I may as well play some hockey whilst waiting.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy,

I had no idea that "ostomy protector rated for hockey" was a thing.  That's awesome.  :-)

Happy to hear you'll be getting back out!  None of this sounds very fun.  I'm impressed with the attitude you've expressed here dealing with it all.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I had no idea that "ostomy protector rated for hockey" was a thing.  That's awesome.  🙂

Happy to hear you'll be getting back out!  None of this sounds very fun.  I'm impressed with the attitude you've expressed here dealing with it all.

Mark

Thanks for your kind words.

This is actually rated for “extreme sports, fire fighters and police”, but I grilled the company owner about this protector (www.stomaplex.com) and he says he has a couple of goalies in this protector. 

I figure it like this: I don’t have to like what is going on, but I had bloody well better embrace this and figure out how to keep doing the things I love. It will still be awhile, but I will stink up the rink once again!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my ostomy protector. Feels nice and secure. The hernia belt definitely makes coughing more comfortable. Coughing and sneezing is what makes me know I had major abdominal surgery. 

My only question is how to wear my ostomy bag. Two companies claim they have sold these units to hockey goalies, yet none of them are members here, it seems...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly a year later, and I ended up waiting until this past April for my loop ileostomy closure. At six weeks, I started doing stick and puck. I have gone twice and am already wanting to graduate to drop in. Now that I have no more bag, getting dressed is considerably easier. No more extra equipment or anything.

Now just to get some reps!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×