Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Vet88

Helmet Concussion Ratings

We gonna go down this road again...lol?  

I will say for my part - as I said before - I do not believe that these tests really say much about a helmet's ability to prevent concussions.  The whiplash and momentum is too great and the amount of movement the brain has within the skull cannot EVER be prevented by a helmet.

And I hate that this has become a thing for two reasons.

1) You'll probably see people buying helmets based off of their rating, not fit. As an example if you trust this, people should forgo the Tacks 710 in favor of the CCM V08.

2) Manufacturers will design helmets with the sole purpose of a achieving a 5 star rating. VT admits a higher rating does not reduce a players risk of concussion. So what's the point.

• Like 1

Howdy,

Link to VT saying that that a better rating doesn't reduce the risk of concussion?

I think actually measuring the amount of force that gets transmitted to the head for a given impact is one of the few objective ways to evaluate a helmet's performance and IIRC the results from their football stuff show a correlation between better ratings and reduced concussions.  That obviously shouldn't be the ONLY metric folks use to pick out a helmet, however.

I don't have any need to do this again either, but also didn't want the loud voices in the room drowning out everyone.  🙂

Mark