Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Kgbeast

Garage sales in Columbus?

Recommended Posts

It appears that Bobrovski has put his residence in Columbus up for sale. It is time for him to flip a page, and he is doing it fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The moves that looked incredibly stupid, that looked pretty smart after round one, now look incredibly stupid again. 

Not only losing your best players for nothing but doubling down to acquire more for a cup run? That’s a GM that should have been let go the day after they were eliminated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

The moves that looked incredibly stupid, that looked pretty smart after round one, now look incredibly stupid again. 

Not only losing your best players for nothing but doubling down to acquire more for a cup run? That’s a GM that should have been let go the day after they were eliminated. 

Sold their future for a slight increase in a chance this offseason, it was always stupid. Luckily for them they hit one of their patented “we’re a competitive hockey team” streaks at the right time to get past the first round (paired with Tampa doing Tampa playoff things), but their definitely a team on the downswing from here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the moves they made (and didn't make for that matter) we're pretty stupid. Though looking back now, maybe I was wrong. They had a good run, generated some buzz around the league and most importantly, put some fans in seats.

I couldn't see them dealing Bob at the deadline. Move him and you're basically saying the season is over. 

I wanna see how it shakes out. If everyone bails. That nice little run won't mean jack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the moves did plenty of good. 10 games on national TV including Canada is important for establishing their brand. Locally in Columbus some major recognition of hockey happened as well. Their commercial value has grown a fold or two over, which will give them some capital for bonuses and development. Merzlinkis can be an interesting goalie and can be better than Bob in goal for them. So Bobrovski departure is probably not as impactful. Loosing Panarin and Duchene would be bad, but they did fine before without either one. With nearly $40m in cap space they can pull from this and other pro leagues. CBJ goalie pool is pretty good and they can trade one for good picks and get back in the draft game. All and all, I do not think they have lost anything this season. The commercial success was worth the effort and was desperately needed for this club, more so than some draft opportunities that they may or may not miss.  CBJ has to dabble at the top of the division next season to maintain the success, if they slide to the bottom, that will undo everything. On paper as of now, they should be able to make playoffs again or at least be close to that. At the moment they are looking at loosing some key people from the front office and one of the coaches that might be their bigger problem for near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Columbus might not a well publicised NHL destination during a regular season, but it surely makes a spalsh this off season leading the top of discussions.

I think Panarin did good, by picking NYC. He surely was the man in Columbus, but missing an opportunity to be the man in NYC could not be missed. Plus his rocket of a soon to be wife, would hate to get stuck in Columbus or Miami even if it means extra 10mil at the end. Bread chose wisely.

Bobrovsky, is my favorite goalie and is a thing to watch in the game. Going to Panthers however I am not sure about. Playing for empty seats in the team that does not fare greatly against other teams in the conference, is a sign that he just went to the higher bidder. We'll see. 

Duchene going to Preds... This shows some love for country music. I do not see that much else can come out of this as I do not see Preds playing his kind of game. I will not be surprised if he has a "bad season". Columbus looked like a team where he has finally found his groove and if Merzlikins ends up being the next Marty Brodeur they expect him to be, they would have been a team to crack the two series in the postseason.

Well, this is just the way I see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Columbus might not a well publicised NHL destination during a regular season, but it surely makes a spalsh this off season leading the top of discussions.

I think Panarin did good, by picking NYC. He surely was the man in Columbus, but missing an opportunity to be the man in NYC could not be missed. Plus his rocket of a soon to be wife, would hate to get stuck in Columbus or Miami even if it means extra 10mil at the end. Bread chose wisely.

Bobrovsky, is my favorite goalie and is a thing to watch in the game. Going to Panthers however I am not sure about. Playing for empty seats in the team that does not fare greatly against other teams in the conference, is a sign that he just went to the higher bidder. We'll see. 

Duchene going to Preds... This shows some love for country music. I do not see that much else can come out of this as I do not see Preds playing his kind of game. I will not be surprised if he has a "bad season". Columbus looked like a team where he has finally found his groove and if Merzlikins ends up being the next Marty Brodeur they expect him to be, they would have been a team to crack the two series in the postseason.

Well, this is just the way I see it.

I'm not sure Nashville has anything to do with country music so much as just being a pretty strong team and a city most players love being in. 

I have no idea where you get the "surely makes a splash" and "leading the top of discussions" stuff. Columbus is at the bottom of the list for free agents. The only aspect of leading discussions this off-season is about how many of their players are signing elsewhere. Their GM gambled and it didn't pay off. Now they have no stars, is not a desirable market, and they traded away their first round pick that could have at least helped the rebuild even though it wouldn't have been a high pick. At least it's easy to imagine them having a much much higher pick in 2020. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm not sure Nashville has anything to do with country music so much as just being a pretty strong team and a city most players love being in. 

I have no idea where you get the "surely makes a splash" and "leading the top of discussions" stuff. Columbus is at the bottom of the list for free agents. The only aspect of leading discussions this off-season is about how many of their players are signing elsewhere. Their GM gambled and it didn't pay off. Now they have no stars, is not a desirable market, and they traded away their first round pick that could have at least helped the rebuild even though it wouldn't have been a high pick. At least it's easy to imagine them having a much much higher pick in 2020. 

Not sure what is your beef with Columbus. When I said that they make splash is because they have 3 top UFAs on the Market. Their name mentioned, their uniforms are in highlights. Also, they hardly need a rebuild as they have been making playoffs 3 years in the row and even after loss of Bobrovski who you thought was not all that anyway, Panarin who is ok, and Duchene who have not had much success in NHL, they still pretty strong team and have an opportunity to make the playoffs again if the Merzlikins can be the goalie they are expecting. As for GM gamble .. you have to take shots like that to increase fan base and raise profile of the club. I think they did that. Loosing Duckair and Abramov is well worth it (although I think Abramov can be something special). As for picks... It is even more of a gamble. Plus now that Duchene is gone, they will get one back.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 9:00 PM, chippa13 said:

This might need to be retitled "Fire sale in Columbus" with how many FA's they're likely about to lose.

Nailed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UpYes, Columbus will remain a revolving door club for high end talent that they might get for at least another 5 years. Merzlikins has signed 1 year contract. If he turns out to be great, he us gone next year. Columbus also have a good shot at signing Gusev... probably 2 year. I doubt he will sign an extension. It is quite remarkable that they are a very good performing club with probably top 10 fanbase. I have started following them because of Bobrovsky, but I have grown to love their team and Tortz, so I am staying on their bandwagon. If they sign Gusev, between him and Nyquist, they would be pretty close to getting that skill upfront they have just lost. I will be watching Rangers though as well for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Columbus will continue to be a revolving door franchise until they move on from Tortorella. Players can only last so long under his go-go-go and everybody blocks shots regime before they get burned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nyquist isn’t close to getting back any skill they lost, and I say this being a Nyquist fan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that they wiffed on getting Gusev, they are total favorites to make the bottom 3. While they are ok as far as skill go, they are a little more spoiled a little older than back in 2015. Dubinsky is now very bad, no glue guys like Hartnell, Calvert, Gagner. Will be interesting to see if they sink all the way to the bottom or find a will power to move past being pouty that no body wants to play there. IMO Tortz is a right coach for them. He is bad for the developed egos, but great to drill a peasant squad that needs a continuous spanking. If they find themselves playing with a chip on their shoulders, trying to prove everyone wrong, they can do well just like inaugural VGK did. Especially, that all stats are against them and they will be underestimated by other clubs. All they need is good goaltending, if they get that, there is a chance they will be that dark horse that can sneak passed and surprise everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×