Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
218hockey

skate volume, tall foot

So my son has a "tall" foot. I don't know what you call this, high instep? It's not a high arch, just tall. Does that make sense?

He just grew out of his 4.5EE 1s skates so I bought him a 5.5EE 2s PRO. They're nice skates, maybe not quite 1s level but good. But what I really notice is the boot doesn't have the volume the 1s has. They're shorter/not as tall. I'm not sure why they changed this aspect of the skate so much but it's disappointing.

Even if these are not ideal I think they will be okay (he's only skated in them once). My concerns are for the future. Is this something that can be addressed with a custom skate?

Will the Nexus line be continued? Maybe I can find a pair of like new 1N's? Also, I have to deal with the fact that my kid is a total Bauer fanboy. I swear if there were a pile of dog sh** on the sidewalk and it had a Bauer sticker on it he'd want to take it home. 😲 !!!

Suggestions and comments please.

Edited by 218hockey

The 2S Pro is one of the better options available for a high instep. My son has a high instep and I didn't find the Nexus was any better for that on the Bauer side, even though the documentation suggests it should be.

Custom is an option, you can adjust the amount of facing (the height of the area by the eyelets) to add additional volume to the boot.

Did you try the pencil test on the 1S vs the 2S Pro to compare if there's any real difference? The 2S Pro tongue is super thick - is that contributing to the difference he's noticed? Also what footbeds did you have in the 1S vs. the 2S Pro?

colins

Edited by colins

Ya, I was just thinking of the footbed/insole. Superfeet Carbon in 1s and some cheap, Bauer insoles in the 2s. They're pretty thin, probably came in the S25 or something. So not the best footbed but one that's giving maximum room.

I'm comparing the tongue's side by side and wow is there a big difference. The 2s is so thick with all of that molded plastic on it. Wish there was something to change out there.

Another issue is that he likes to his skates to fit closely. Kind of a pain because he's growing, I had been buying half sizes when he needed skates. Obviously another half size up from where we are now would give more volume too.

If you go the custom route you need to be very specific about the facing and the height you are requesting and make sure that they will do this. Some manufacturers are removing this option from the retail custom side eg CCM no longer offer it to retail clients. You can fix volume with eyelet extenders, either make your own or buy them.

1 minute ago, Vet88 said:

If you go the custom route you need to be very specific about the facing and the height you are requesting and make sure that they will do this. Some manufacturers are removing this option from the retail custom side eg CCM no longer offer it to retail clients. You can fix volume with eyelet extenders, either make your own or buy them.

I find this pretty funny since volume issues are probably the only legitimate reason for retail customers to go custom.  Unless you've got sasquatch feet, or crazy narrow feet, the widths available at retail will fit you.

I happen to be one of those weird people with a D/E width foot, but a stupidly tall instep.