Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cosmic

Easton Mako runners and steel issues

1) I noticed when I was walking around my place, breaking in the skates, that when I put alot of pressure on the heel, there was a click, like the runner was dipping into the holder more deeply than it should be. I could not figure out if this was supposed to be like this, or if there was some sort of defect. So, I just figured that I ought not want to make a big deal of it, and just skated in them.

After my skate, it occurred to me, that I had not not yet tightened the steel into the runners, upon purchasing these skates, and prior to my first skate. So, when I realized this (upon getting home), I immediately tightened the steel into the runner, and found that it was definitely loose. It was not so loose that it was clicking while I was skating, but it was loose regardless. I probably got about 3 turns in each of the four screw mechanisms, when I tightened the screws.
Might I have damaged the internal mechanism of the runner, since I was skating and walking around on less than perfectly tight runner/holder fusion, resulting in slippage? As mentioned, I did not notice the clicking when I was skating, it was just when I was walking around, and then when I put my skates on in the locker room.
2) I think this may be a separate issue, (but still a runner issue) since the runner was not loose at all laterally, at least not from what I could tell:
My runner was sliding out from under me when I tried to get on my edges and turn. I could not hold an edge, as I had been doing (for the first time ever in my life) when I tried on my friend's Mako skates (same size- 10.5 EE) prior to purchasing my own.
Is this a skate sharpening issue? I have read about this problem here in the forums. If so, then what should I tell the skate sharpener, to correct this issue? Should I advise him to go deeper, which will in turn let me get onto my edges better? The sharpener at Jake's Hockey in El Segundo said he gave me a .5 inch, or .5, I cannot recall the unit, but it was definitely .5 something or other.
3) How does one keep the outside of the skate above the ankle, from chafing against the skin. I tried the 3mm easy fit neoprene booties, but they only come as large as "large," which is too tight and cuts off circulation in my foot.
So I just tried the ultra thin and 2 mm (after the skate), as both come in XL, but neither comes high enough to cover the area that is being impacted (I have both here on hand- I got them because I knew that I might have this issue. So, I just skated without either pair on, to see how I would do without any coverage, and then figured I would just address the issue if it came up. It came up.
1ox5.jpg

Just added another question about the "Mako bumps." I am not getting bumps, just bad chafing.

"Mako bumps" is just the name that was given to that issue you're having. I STILL have a mark from where mine did it months ago.

It will eventually go away, but until it does... cut the bottom out of the neoprene bootie. make it into just a sleeve. I worried that the stitching would come out but it never did.

The other option is some stretch wrap, like what a lot of guys use on their stick butt end for grip. You know, this stuff:

RSRT-BK-1.jpg

I've used that a couple times when I forget my neoprene sleeves by accident.

*apparently* the new mako skate for 2014 has addressed this issue.

EDIT: This is me, about 6 months after I got my Makos and the "mako bumps" havent been an issue for about 2-3 months now:

bqrzv9jm.png

"Mako bumps" is just the name that was given to that issue you're having. I STILL have a mark from where mine did it months ago.

It will eventually go away, but until it does... cut the bottom out of the neoprene bootie. make it into just a sleeve. I worried that the stitching would come out but it never did.

The other option is some stretch wrap, like what a lot of guys use on their stick butt end for grip. You know, this stuff:

RSRT-BK-1.jpg

I've used that a couple times when I forget my neoprene sleeves by accident.

*apparently* the new mako skate for 2014 has addressed this issue.

EDIT: This is me, about 6 months after I got my Makos and the "mako bumps" havent been an issue for about 2-3 months now:

bqrzv9jm.png

So, in this 2-3 months of problem free-ness, are you still wearing the neoprene sleeve or the stick tape, or are you just going into the boot with sock only? I can do the neoprene sleeve thing, may even get one custom made as I know a guy who does this for a living; just curious if the skates break in or if the problem goes away.

So, in this 2-3 months of problem free-ness, are you still wearing the neoprene sleeve or the stick tape, or are you just going into the boot with sock only? I can do the neoprene sleeve thing, may even get one custom made as I know a guy who does this for a living; just curious if the skates break in or if the problem goes away.

I think its just that area softens up over time. I skate without the sleeve or any sort of wrap now, with no issues. Though it took quite a significant amount of time just for my ankle to heal, so even if the skate has already broken in it could still be painful. My advice: use a neoprene sleeve for at least 3-4 months. The last thing you want to do is open that sore back up! And it's such a small thing, I was totally prepared to just get used to the idea of having to wear it every game if it meant otherwise comfortable skating (for the first time ever).

I only realized it had gotten better because I forgot to put it on one day, until I was taking my gear off after a game. Haven't needed it since.

Oh and regarding your sharpening issue, he probably have you 1/2, which is "the standard" (aka the most common cut that a place will give you if you haven't specified anything different). I guess all you can do is ask your friend what hollow he skates on. Maybe try a deeper hollow. If you go to Jakes and explain how you felt after you skated, he may be able to suggest a better hollow for you. Jakes is a pretty top notch shop, you're lucky to be so close to them!

I'm down here in San Marcos.

Oh and regarding your sharpening issue, he probably have you 1/2, which is "the standard" (aka the most common cut that a place will give you if you haven't specified anything different). I guess all you can do is ask your friend what hollow he skates on. Maybe try a deeper hollow. If you go to Jakes and explain how you felt after you skated, he may be able to suggest a better hollow for you. Jakes is a pretty top notch shop, you're lucky to be so close to them!

I'm down here in San Marcos.

Yea I am only close for the next 10 days or so. I will go back and see if we can get square. My friend got his skates sharpened in Manilla of all places, so who knows what they call what. In Indo, they have a whole different naming system too.

It's not likely that you damaged them... You sometimes hear the same guys clicking for months in the locker room before they get around to tightening them. Don't over tighten them though. You can break the runners by over tightening them. I just usually keep snugging them up a little until the clicking is gone so as not to over tighten them.

The slippage is most likely bad sharpening, especially if it was FBV (less room for error). 1/2 inch is "middle of the road". I wouldn't expect you to feel "slippage" unless it wasn't sharpened correctly.

I used moleskin (or more specifically molefoam) on my hot spots there from my Mako's. (http://www.drscholls.com/Products/MolefoamPadding). Cut it up into smaller pieces so you don't waste so much of it. You stick it right to your skin. It did the trick for me. After a couple months of use I didn't have to use them anymore (I don't know why).

You should get in the habit of making sure the screws are snug when you put on your skates. A little bit of blue loctite will help keep them from getting loose. As for losing your edges, it's almost certainly a sharpening issue. I find that Makos tend to take more time to sharpen than most other steel. Once sharpened though, they seem to hold their edge well.

You should get in the habit of making sure the screws are snug when you put on your skates. A little bit of blue loctite will help keep them from getting loose. As for losing your edges, it's almost certainly a sharpening issue. I find that Makos tend to take more time to sharpen than most other steel. Once sharpened though, they seem to hold their edge well.

Sound advice. When I get home, I will make sure to keep my skate sharpeners in my gear bag. Out here, I left them home because I do not want to lose anything at this rink, as I am out of my element.

Since the mako bumps were from repeated friction I lined the part rubbing me with clear tape, reducing the friction. This Has worked for 3 months I usually re tape it every 2 week

Sound advice. When I get home, I will make sure to keep my skate sharpeners in my gear bag. Out here, I left them home because I do not want to lose anything at this rink, as I am out of my element.

Buy a small bag like this one and keep all of your tape, wax, stones, screwdrivers, etc... in it. Then you don't have to search through the big bag in order to find what you need.

Buy a small bag like this one and keep all of your tape, wax, stones, screwdrivers, etc... in it. Then you don't have to search through the big bag in order to find what you need.

^ This! Having a bag to keep all my tape, laces, tape tiger, wax, helmet screws and even a small first aid kit has been a huge help in keeping organized. You can even check out Junkyard Athletic if you want a custom bag in your team colors/logo: http://www.junkyardathletic.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=75