Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shorthanded67

Random Rant

Yesterday I go up to my LHS after work just to get some tape, etc...

Over in the stick aisle (which is spilling over with OPS by the way with all the old 2004 stock PLUS the newer 2005 OPS) I overhear an older gentleman, probably a recreational hockey player with typical knowledge of equipment. He asks the LHS employee, "Do you still have the yellow Responses?"

The employee's answer as he points to the Response Plus: "Yeah they're right here but they just made them red".

Customer: "Is there any difference?"

Employee: "No just the color."

Then he proceeds to show him the Reebok 5K (which they overordered by the way) and tells him that it's almost an identical stick because "they bought out TPS." :rolleyes:

I ended up seeing the guy in the parking lot and explained the correct facts to him. I lifted up my work shirt and showed him my MSH shirt underneath and told him if he had any questions to come here for plenty of useful help.

Not every employee at this company is like that, but there's WAY too many people who are. I've probably got a good dozen other stories like that. On a side note, my LHS had tons of Reebok 6Ks with a blank nameplate for $179.99. I didn't check out the curves though.

Believe it or not, the staff at Great Skate is, on the whole, pretty clueless, too. There are a few guys there who have an idea as to what they are talking about, some of them are actually pretty knowledgeable.

There has been more than one time where I have gone in there and have had to help a confused customer out after an employee gave him/her information that could not possibly be more wrong. There have been a couple times when I have actually been asked to fill out an application to work there, but since I am not yet 18 and live about 35 minutes from the store, it's not an option for me.

The experience at your LHS reminds me of one of mine at Sportchek. The salesperson told me a 100 flex Ultra Carbon is better than a 95 flex Cyclone. You know what his reason was? "The flex rating is higher, so it's a better stick." or another time when I was helping my cousin buy a helmet for drop in hockey. My conversation with the salesperson went something like...

Salesperson: No you don't want the CCM cage, you want the chrome Itech cage(It was $15 more). I use it myself when I play hockey.

Me: So what league do you play in?

Salesperson: I just play here and there...

Me: So who do you play with then?

Salesperson: Just some friends here and there.

Me: What's the name of the RINK you play in?

Salesperson: I forget, some place out in Surrey.

Either the sales person has a very short memory or he's trying to BS me into buying a more expensive cage.

Off topic, but im newer here, and I would like to know how to get an MSH t-shirt.

We had some made up to raise money to pay our bills but ended up making virtually nothing on them. All were sold.

Off topic, but im newer here, and I would like to know how to get an MSH t-shirt.

We had some made up to raise money to pay our bills but ended up making virtually nothing on them. All were sold.

Dang.

The experience at your LHS reminds me of one of mine at Sportchek. The salesperson told me a 100 flex Ultra Carbon is better than a 95 flex Cyclone. You know what his reason was? "The flex rating is higher, so it's a better stick." or another time when I was helping my cousin buy a helmet for drop in hockey. My conversation with the salesperson went something like...

Salesperson: No you don't want the CCM cage, you want the chrome Itech cage(It was $15 more). I use it myself when I play hockey.

Me: So who do you play with then?

Either the sales person has a very short memory or he's trying to BS me into buying a more expensive cage.

What's worse is that I went in there a couple years ago to buy skates(didn't know much about equipment then) and the guy sized me in a size 8.5 Easton. After 2 years I've worn a 6.5 Graf and now a 6.5 8090. <_<

The experience at your LHS reminds me of one of mine at Sportchek.  The salesperson told me a 100 flex Ultra Carbon is better than a 95 flex Cyclone.  You know what his reason was?  "The flex rating is higher, so it's a better stick."  or another time when I was helping my cousin buy a helmet for drop in hockey.  My conversation with the salesperson went something like...

Salesperson: No you don't want the CCM cage, you want the chrome Itech cage(It was $15 more).  I use it myself when I play hockey.

Me:  So who do you play with then?

ya i have to agree the guys are sportchek is as dumb as you get. most of the hardgood guys don't even play the sports they sell and most of the time you won't even be speaking to someone who works in hard goods cause the sales people from shoes and cloths will wonder around just to make the sale on just about anything. i use to work as a manager there and you'd be surprised how many times i've seen skate sharpenings so bad it's almost funny. anything from doing only 2 - 3 passed on the stone for a new skate to having no hollow at all or only having one edge instead of two. i've even seen people say that skates are good right out of the box because the sales person doesn't know what sharpening a skate means. funniest one yet was the when we sold a bike but didn't lock the handles down so the customer ending up riding the bike but couldn't turn or keep control of the front wheel. :lol: only thing i miss about not working for sportchek anymore is the looks on the employees faces when i say "what the fuc* is this?" while trying my hardest not to laugh.

The experience at your LHS reminds me of one of mine at Sportchek.  The salesperson told me a 100 flex Ultra Carbon is better than a 95 flex Cyclone.  You know what his reason was?  "The flex rating is higher, so it's a better stick."  or another time when I was helping my cousin buy a helmet for drop in hockey.  My conversation with the salesperson went something like...

Salesperson: No you don't want the CCM cage, you want the chrome Itech cage(It was $15 more).  I use it myself when I play hockey.

Me:  So who do you play with then?

What's worse is that I went in there a couple years ago to buy skates(didn't know much about equipment then) and the guy sized me in a size 8.5 Easton. After 2 years I've worn a 6.5 Graf and now a 6.5 8090. <_<

haha no doubt, when i was like 10, i went in with my dad. and tried on a pair of bauer skates. the guy sized me in like a size 7 when i was like a 5.5, hes like oh yah you'll grow into these nicely. i had them for 3 seasons before i didnt fit them anymore.