Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedwrister

Too young for travel hockey?

My son just turned 8 and has been playing for 4 years. He has played house league thus far and the last year and a half really came into his own (ie. in 20 games he scored 70 or so goals and 15 assists). He can still play another year of Mite, but I moved him to Squirt for spring to see what he can do. In the first 4 games he scored 7 goals and had 2 assists. I am not here to brag about my son, but am looking for some opinions (especially from the younger guys) about travel hockey at such a young age. I would like to see him develop to his potential by playing on a team with others of his ablility, but not sure if I should wait to make the move (He is 8 after all). The flip side is that hockey development is so rapid that you know wether or not you are going anywhere with it by the time kids are 14-15. I am not saying he is NHL bound tommorow by any means, but I am afraid if I don't give him every opportunity then how do we find out just how good he can be? I guess the bottom line is....is 8 too early?

Do you have options where you live? (If your son doesn't like this coach or system is there another one near by?) This will help a lot because I've seen kids who are awesome when they are little, but average once they're older because of growing up with the same kids, coaches and systems. It ruins development. I stayed at a lower level(single A, but we could beat AA teams around here) until draft year(this year) when I moved up to AAA. I'm not saying I'll get drafted, but I'll get a lot of exposure for local Jr. teams. So your son doesn't necessarily have to play at the highest level when he's this young, but more hockey, if he likes to play a lot, will be better for him.

My son just turned 8 and has been playing for 4 years. He has played house league thus far and the last year and a half really came into his own (ie. in 20 games he scored 70 or so goals and 15 assists). He can still play another year of Mite, but I moved him to Squirt for spring to see what he can do. In the first 4 games he scored 7 goals and had 2 assists. I am not here to brag about my son, but am looking for some opinions (especially from the younger guys) about travel hockey at such a young age. I would like to see him develop to his potential by playing on a team with others of his ablility, but not sure if I should wait to make the move (He is 8 after all). The flip side is that hockey development is so rapid that you know wether or not you are going anywhere with it by the time kids are 14-15. I am not saying he is NHL bound tommorow by any means, but I am afraid if I don't give him every opportunity then how do we find out just how good he can be? I guess the bottom line is....is 8 too early?

I'd say just listen to your child.

Normally at that age, children like to have a break but there is exception.

"Normally at that age, children like to have a break but there is exception."

He would love to play travel. He has a stick in his hand from the time he wakes up 'til he goes to school. After school, he is on his rollerblades in the driveway until dinner and that's including the nights he has practice or games. Then he plays mini-sticks in the basement most nights until bed. I NEVER ask or tell him to practice. He does it on his own. Every spring I ask him if he wants to play another sport and every spring it's "No". He is single minded and totally driven (too much at times) to play hockey 24/7. As far as coaching goes, I have either assisted or head coached him all 4 years. I am an average hockey player and I know my limitations. He listens great and is very coachable. To tell you the truth, I am ready to have someone else take over as I have never seen him play a game from the stands. I guess the real question is will he miss anything he can't make up for by starting him in travel a year or two later?

My suggestion would be take'em out. First of all there is no gaurantee he will make it. Many players that age bring in those kind of numbers, but there is also already a Triple A team made up of 17 kids and possible a Double and Single A team as well that he'd heave to beat out. I don't think its too young provided

A. You have the money

B. You have the time

C. Your hours are flexible

D. You don't get caught up believing your son is a star. He sounds great, alot of points, but keep in mind there are players all over the world with those numbers and higher at his age.

- Another suggestion, don't coach your kid past 10, now is a good time to get out. You can stil discuss everything that goes on the ice with him, if you want use YOUR summers to teach him things you think will help, because you don't want to contradict what his current coach is teaching him. Father - Son coach relationships often put unneeded stress on the relationship. I find summers better because you aren't "forced" to teach him day in and day out and theres no pressure to use it immediately or win. Go out to some public skates and teach him there. I personally believe my Dad is the best Defensive coach in the City (many agree), but we had troubles when he was on the bench because theres alot more factors going into each play than just whats on the ice.

- Good luck

I think what Eazy said is right. Plus if you coach him to long he might try to impress(sp) you more than play his game. Thats how i felt anyways.

From what you've said, I would sign him up for a squirt team. He sounds like he has a passion for the sport and it's his passion driving the situation. It's not like you're throwing him into a checking league at 8. As long as he's going to get decent ice time, it sounds good. Lack of ice time and a bad coach are the things most likely to turn him off and that can happen at any level.

The additional practices that come with a travel program really benefit players who take them seriously and is the most important part of travel hockey, in my opinion.

From what you've said, I would sign him up for a squirt team. He sounds like he has a passion for the sport and it's his passion driving the situation. It's not like you're throwing him into a checking league at 8. As long as he's going to get decent ice time, it sounds good. Lack of ice time and a bad coach are the things most likely to turn him off and that can happen at any level.

I think if I keep him in the local (travel Squirt A) program, he would be a lock for 1st line since the team would be made up of most of the older Mites he played with/ against last season. I would try him out for AA (and I think he would have a good shot), but I can't stand the coach. Like I said earlier, my main concern is that he may loose out on some development if I don't move him. Could it be made up if I wait?

Yes, its all about Development. Like Hockeyman said he moved up this year. I know a fair bit of OHL draftees and I've say about 1/4 moved up in either their draft year or the year before. Besides that they played Single A with me (we also have AA and AAA). It's a little dependant on the area and the coaching you'll get at that specific area too. Like Chadd said Ice time and coaching are key, but you need to compete against capable opponents. Luckily in my area our A is a very good level for the most part where the top teams are generally pretty well matched.

like eazy said if you can provide the things you need in order for him to play why not give it a try

Traveling to games is not that hard, since they are typically Friday night or weekends.

It is the practices that can wear you out. I would say, if the practices are local (< 1/2 hour one way), sure go for it!

My kid was playing Junior hockey 50 minutes away (one way), and the drive to and from practice was a real chore by the end of the season.

10 minutes if I stay local. MUCH better hockey if I decide to drive 1/2 hour in a couple of directions. I should also add that it's about $500 more per season if I go with the MUCH better :unsure:

I'm not out to bag on anyone or their kid..but a lot of times the best players at 7-0..aren't the same ones tearing it up at 14-16....so don't think his hockey life is going to be determined by something at 8yrs old, unless it makes him not want to play..

that being said..i think fundamentals and coaching are what to look for when in this situation...personally i was on the other end of that scenario...played travel my first year @ 6...would have sat the bench the next couple years..so we found a good coaching program that had both detailed instruction/tournaments..so by the time i was 9-10..i was ready for top tier hockey

so much goes into developing a hockey player..not including the physical growth that has to go on later in life to keep up at certain levels (exceptions notwithstanding) most of the kids I know who made the jump did so between 12 and 14...that's when they spent all summer at camp etc..

i think a break is important...even know when i play at 34 years of age...i take some time off between leagues..and when i notice the gear getting dry..i go for a skate..get the rust off..most kids have some other sports..but I always hit a hockey day camp in August before tryouts..played the season..did a good spring league..and then just played in the street from june-august...rode my bike, played soccer, baseball, etc..

1/2 hour is not bad. I would try for the teams with the best stats. Don't fall for any fast talk from a bottom of the league coach. You want your kid to get used to being a winner.

The sad thing about travel hockey is that although it doesn't seem to matter when your kid is 8 years old, it gets harder and harder to break into the "circle" as he grows older. So if you skip it now, and decide to jump into travel when he is 13, it is going to be very difficult to get onto a good team then.

I think if I keep him in the local (travel Squirt A) program, he would be a lock for 1st line since the team would be made up of most of the older Mites he played with/ against last season. I would try him out for AA (and I think he would have a good shot), but I can't stand the coach. Like I said earlier, my main concern is that he may loose out on some development if I don't move him. Could it be made up if I wait?

You don't have to like the coach since you aren't playing for him. Just make sure he isn't the type who can ruin a child's joy of the game. If he runs better practices and is a better instructor, he may be a better coach for your child. Only you can make that decision though, not us.

There is also good reason to keep him with the kids he knows at the lower level. Familiarity can be a good thing. Playing with the kids he was with last year can be a positive or a negative.

The sad thing about travel hockey is that although it doesn't seem to matter when your kid is 8 years old, it gets harder and harder to break into the "circle" as he grows older. So if you skip it now, and decide to jump into travel when he is 13, it is going to be very difficult to get onto a good team then

a good player will always find room on the team, if the kid is a 2-4 line player..yeah..it gets dicey..but no team leaves an stud player behind...he is talking about which Tier to play..not whether to play Tier or not...

is he going to get a lot less ice time at AA? If he's going to play half as much and not get the focus,etc of it...I'd say put him in A where he can eat up minutes ..he's a 2nd year Mite right?

Choose the team based on the coaching....at that level you really want to place your child on a team which has a reputation for having a great individual skills coach where your child will get the most solid "building blocks" he can find....no matter what the overall team talent seems to be....If the coaching is good, the team will be too in most cases.

Do not get sucked into the 'great status race"...wanting to be able to tell your hockey friends that your kid plays for "so and so' team...as an ego booster. It may be that that team has a great rep because of the coaching..at which point trying to get your child on that team could be a good thing..but just make sure it's for the right reasons.

Many of these high profile teams can very "cliquish", and as such may not provide your child with a great experince, and establish some pretty undesirable values at a young age.

Do your research to make sure your child gets the right teaching....matched to their skills...too advanced may discourage them....not enough will bore them....Make sure that the parents from the team you select, are highest on the coaching, not on the winning record.....If your child sees themself learning and improving from the experience, and so do you, you will both be happiest. Once the skills are in place, the winning will come....the old adage..."it's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game" is always right.