Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crosskore

How often do you tape your stick?

Lots of people on my team retape thier stick before every ice time. I retape my stick about once a month. I usualy wait till the tape just falls off by itself. What about you guys?

It's usually after 2-3 ice times before I re-tape it. When it's cut or anything I'll just tear off the surrounding tape.

If it's inline I always use a fresh tape job. I figure anything that might extend the life of an expensive stick is worth a go. If I'm just playing ice, I'll do every two or three times since the tape doesn't wear as quickly.

Most of the time I can get through a full game without having to re-tape but not always. If I take a lot of big shots, I'll have to change sticks because the tape is worn off the bottom.

Usually every 2-3 ice times unless it gets a tear or a cut from a skate blade or whatever in it. Also if i had been shooting alot and the tape was worn off the bottom of the heel I'll retape it. Sometmes if its just a tiny tear or cut I'll just put wax over it if I have practice next, but if its a game I'll retape it.

Can't always afford to buy some tape so it's about once every 3h of play.

Before composite blades I'd have easily done it every game but now it's barely an afterthough unless there's a gaping hole where I'd handle the puck.

here is my tip, put one layer of tape along the bottom of the blade then start wrapping up the blade with your hockey tape. This way you won't have to go through as many tape jobs because its usually the bottom of the blade that gets worn out first.

another tip I recommend is using friction tape. Its alot more durable and I find it gives a bit more grip for catching the puck. The only drawback is that its heavier than regular hockey tape.

here is my tip, put one layer of tape along the bottom of the blade then start wrapping up the blade with your hockey tape. This way you won't have to go through as many tape jobs because its usually the bottom of the blade that gets worn out first.

another tip I recommend is using friction tape. Its alot more durable and I find it gives a bit more grip for catching the puck. The only drawback is that its heavier than regular hockey tape.

ya but when friction tape gets wet, i find its like any other regular role of tape

I guess you are right on that one, I did notice that it tends to get a bit wet. I didn't bother to wax it because it would take away from the grip.

On the other hand, its better for outdoor hockey in the winter. You won't have to worry about it getting wet then. I originally started using friction tape in the outdoors because the chippy ice really killed regular hockey tape.

Ljack, if you say my lie is wrong for my height what do I do about the curve of the blade? I use 5.5 lie and i'm about 5'8 if thats any info to determine the lie?

Ljack, if you say my lie is wrong for my height what do I do about the curve of the blade? I use 5.5 lie and i'm about 5'8 if thats any info to determine the lie?

Everyone likes different stick lengths so it's not possible for me to say how long your stick should be. You should use whatever length feels comfortable to you. The blade should be flat and the wear should be even across the bottom of your stick. If it wears only at the heel, you should either use a shorter stick or a lower lie. If it wears in teh middle, your combo is correct and if it only wears tape near the toe, you need a longer shaft or higher lie.

Thanks. So I do like my sticks a bit longer, so to make it wear evenly across the bottom I need to search for a new pattern that has the same curve but a different lie. The bottom of the heels of my blades arn't all breaking or anything I just have to tape them often so that they dont get too worn. I learn something everyday, thanks ljack!

Guest phillyfan

I usually re-tape the blade before every game. Sometimes between periods or whatnot depending how bad the tapejob subsides to. For the top end of the shaft, I usually leave the tape on until it wears off, I like how the tape starts to become rougher, and more like one material after awhile. What once was white tape will die as black tape, but it's what I prefer. Saves a bit of money in the long run as well.

A lot of people have to deal with limited selection of low-lie blades.

and its an evil thing too. anything lower than a lie of 5 is almost impossible to find with a decent curve on it. pro stock stuff is about the only place to find a good combination of a low lie and a usable curve.

i usually tape my sticks when ever the bottom on the blade wears out. if i'm lazy, i'll just put a strip of tape on the bottom only. my usually lasts pretty long, at least five games. i use a lot of wax, it seems to keep the tape from shreading and it helps it stay in place longer. if i'm playing bad, i re-tape just for the sake of it.