Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karly14

Tennis elbow

ive been working at hockey schools for a few years now, and for the first time just recently ive started getting brutal tennis elbow after working a few sessions. Anybody else get this? and anybody know any tricks to avoid it, or help make it feel better? thanks

I have posted about this a few months back. Just to clarify where the pain is:

http://img118.echo.cx/img118/5893/elbow5ix.jpg

Pretty isolated right behind the elbow. Not the elbow bone itself. It has really acted up lately and is on my left arm (I shoot righty). After at the min of 20 mins of shooting I feel it. It really weakens and "softens" my whole elbow area for about 16-24 hours after playing.

Is this where it is Nick (tennis elbow), and any suggestions anyone?

Thats exactly where my arm hurts too. It feels tender on the opposite side of the elbow also (like the crack of your arm). I get it on my right arm and I shoot left, so its both of our top arms. Like Theo said-any suggestions would be appreciated

Are you using a stiff stick? Sometimes that can cause significant vibration in and around the elbow area, particularly when taking slapshots.

Tennis elbow in the classic sense is caused by overusing the muscle extending your wrist. Using a stick thats too stiff can definately do it cause u need strength to brace the stick when your shooting (I presume your lower hand/arm is the one that hurts) . To help it heal you need to rest it, then strengthen the muscle with exercise. You can also use heat for the pain.

You are probably using a strong "sweeping" motion when you are shooting.

Tennis Elbow is the term used for an inflammation of the muscles and the immediate area surrounding the lateral epicondyle (the bony pertrusion on the outside of the elbow).

Tennis players get this when they use their backhand. This would be the same motion as taking a "sweep-type" shot in hockey.

This is the only other mechanism I can think of.

Cavs is right. The vibration from a stick stick, or any aluminum or composite stick in general, may cause the epicondyles to be irratated.

I've been having a lot of the same type of pain. It's in my left elbow, which is my top hand and it really affects my puck handling. The pain feels like an inflammation and I've had to stop lifting weights and doing a lot of other stuff. I know the best way to deal with it is total rest but I can't stand to just quit playing hockey, so I've been putting on Icy Hot before I play and ice afterward.

I thought you put ICE and not HEAT on inflamation injuries.

From what I've read in several places, heat works to cover pain in a lot of cases simply because that's the sensation the body feels first. Because of the sensation of heat, the body ignores mild pain. It doesn't help the problem but it does cover it up until it goes away for most people.

Pierre Turgeon had similar problems and blamed it on using a stiff stick, if I remember correctly. I think that's when he switched to the rubber shaft as well

I think what you mentioned about Pierre Turgeon makes sense Chadd. I never had the problem when I used grip sticks for the last few years. This year I switched to non grip, and i started getting tennis elbow. As for the flex, i use an easton 85 so i don't think my stick is too stiff. Like Otto ive really been restricted to working out because of it, I cant lift weight with my arms the day before or the day after a game. thanks for the advice everybody, its all realy useful

I thought you put ICE and not HEAT on inflamation injuries.

From what I've read in several places, heat works to cover pain in a lot of cases simply because that's the sensation the body feels first. Because of the sensation of heat, the body ignores mild pain. It doesn't help the problem but it does cover it up until it goes away for most people.

Pierre Turgeon had similar problems and blamed it on using a stiff stick, if I remember correctly. I think that's when he switched to the rubber shaft as well

I know that in the 03-04 season, Kovalev had an elbow problem and he switch to flexier shafts.

I like using stiff hockey shafts myself but have to stop as I get pain in both elbows at times.

Switching to a whippier shaft for a bit works for me.

Ice and heat have a lot of therapeutic overlap. They both relieve spasticity and pain. Heat will also help with increasing circulation and make muscles and ligaments more pliable. I suppose in this case, if the ligament ear the elbow is inflammed using heat as it may make the swelling worse. So, i guess there is a trade off. As for the top arm being the one that hurts, when you shoot, what may be causing the pain is the action of rolling the wrist upwards and perhaps pulling back on the stick end. (The muscle that extends your wrist is connected on one end to the base of the wrist and on the other end to your humerous, just past the elbow). So with overwork, you feel the pain in the elbow because thats the insertion that is strained. Fixing it is still rest and muscle strengthening.