Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruin88

rollarblading as an ice hockey player

well one thing i have noticed is that you can always tell when a roller player plays ice due to their skating style

I think it'll only hurt if you start to use inlineskating techniques/strides/mechanics/etc. when on ice.

I try to think of it as speaking two languages.

If you become fundamentally sound in ice and inline skating, you should be able to switch back and forth.

I also think a lot of the difference has to do w/ how closely your ice rocker resembles the relatively straight rocker of inlines.

I know a guy who played in the OHL and played two roller games and quit because it was ruining his ice skating stride when he was constantly switching back and forth but i guess hes more of the exception then the rule.

I'm not sure how much it hurts your stride, but I think it should work thee same muscles which is probably a good thing.

I remember my bantam (ice hockey) coach always used to yell at us and tell us not to play roller because it will ruin our skating. I think that had a lot to do with him absolutely hating roller hockey players and the game in general.

I think the big thing that roller hockey would change if you are an ice hockey player is the stops in general and work in the corner. For me, a lifelong ice player, I had more confidence flying full speed into a corner on ice than I ever did playing roller. I feel playing roller involves more turning than ice, while ice is more stopping and pivoting (NO RINK TURNS!!! lol). I think getting into these turning habits and different stopping habits could be problematic to your ice game.

I think the big thing that roller hockey would change if you are an ice hockey player is the stops in general and work in the corner.

i went inline skating for the first time in six years yesterday. as soon as i got outside, i tried to hockey stop. bad idea.

i think the language comparison is a good one, only don't think like english and french, for example. think french and spanish. if you can speak french, pretty much you only have to add "-o" to masculine words to speak spanish. :)

if you're a reasonably good skater and relatively smart, you should be able to adapt your stride accordingly. i like inline because it gives you a chance to improve other skills, most notably stickhandling. you have to balance any loss in skating ability with the gains you'd make in other areas.

-k

I switch back and forth and the skating on roller hasn't been bad for my Ice skating. My coaches dont like people playing roller because you read the play and react differntly.

Two biggest myths on the planet - Fighting is necessary in hockey and Inline Skating messes up your ice stride. One of the Top Honeybaked kids I had the pleasure to work with played nothing but Inline till he was like 11...best stride on team PERIOD! And here in the Midwest area, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana...without question MANY of the top Ice players have HUGE roots in Inline. And looking at TJ Hensick and the numerous other D 1 players who all played Inline A LOT, it is just stupid to say it messes up your stride. Sorry to be so harsh, but that's like saying walking messes up your stride or jogging. Or don't swing a golf club, it might mess up your slap shot.

Most of the same muscles are being strengthened. Of course there is adjustment time from stopping and edge control, but if you are truly a gifted skater and athlete, the transition takes MINUTES!!! Not hours or days. I have example after example of this. Truly not worth the time.

Of course, it is like my original comment on the fighting. Fighting is not necessary. Some of us like it and enjoy it as much as a Power Play. But don't tell me it is a must! We just justify it with things like hockey is a chippy game, it is nasty and the guys have to get it out on the ice, etc, etc. This is all BS. We just LIKE fighting!----Same as Inline hockey. If you or your coach doesn't like it, that's fine. You might even thinks it's low class, stupid or boring. Again, fine with me. But for the ignorant to cover up their prejudice by passing out bad misinformation that Inline Skating screws up your ice stride, it just is pure nonsense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 99 times out of 100, it is people who never played Inline or just hate it, who try to disuade kids from trying or playing it. I'm waiting for these people to just be honest instead of scaring kids and their parents. I know so many kids and parents literally AFRAID to get on Inlines because it would throw off their Ice Skating!!! Excuse me...I have to go throw up.

well i heard it effected your ice stride so i didnt wanna chance it because i have a good stride and im a good skater and ice hockey is #1 for me.

Two biggest myths on the planet - Fighting is necessary in hockey and Inline Skating messes up your ice stride. One of the Top Honeybaked kids I had the pleasure to work with played nothing but Inline till he was like 11...best stride on team PERIOD! And here in the Midwest area, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana...without question MANY of the top Ice players have HUGE roots in Inline. And looking at TJ Hensick and the numerous other D 1 players who all played Inline A LOT, it is just stupid to say it messes up your stride. Sorry to be so harsh, but that's like saying walking messes up your stride or jogging. Or don't swing a golf club, it might mess up your slap shot.

Most of the same muscles are being strengthened. Of course there is adjustment time from stopping and edge control, but if you are truly a gifted skater and athlete, the transition takes MINUTES!!! Not hours or days. I have example after example of this. Truly not worth the time.

Of course, it is like my original comment on the fighting. Fighting is not necessary. Some of us like it and enjoy it as much as a Power Play. But don't tell me it is a must! We just justify it with things like hockey is a chippy game, it is nasty and the guys have to get it out on the ice, etc, etc. This is all BS. We just LIKE fighting!----Same as Inline hockey. If you or your coach doesn't like it, that's fine. You might even thinks it's low class, stupid or boring. Again, fine with me. But for the ignorant to cover up their prejudice by passing out bad misinformation that Inline Skating screws up your ice stride, it just is pure nonsense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 99 times out of 100, it is people who never played Inline or just hate it, who try to disuade kids from trying or playing it. I'm waiting for these people to just be honest instead of scaring kids and their parents. I know so many kids and parents literally AFRAID to get on Inlines because it would throw off their Ice Skating!!! Excuse me...I have to go throw up.

Actually, I find that most ice hockey players in this area have a difficul time adapting to inline and then have a difficult time adapting back when the season starts. Those who play both constantly or have high level instruction may not have a problem, but the average kid out there on his own seems to have issues.

Your all just talking about how playing roller messes up your ice.

Nobody has asked simalar and equally important question;

Does playing ice mess up your roller stride?

I've never played anything but roller so I can't coment make comments but i've read whats been said and i was wondering about the opposite.

Turning. Your turning will be vastly different on inlines than on ice unless you pay attention to your form.

Stride is a bit different as well, but just remember to "dig" in on your starts and pushes, bend your glide leg deep (as you would on ice) and remember to toe-flick w/ your pushoff leg and you should be able to adapt back and forth.

Think of it as skating on goailie skates...........very flat rocker.

At least that's how I percieve it.

But it is possible. I've been doing some of the same drills on inlines that I do on ice and I can just about crossover/turn as sharply as on ice.

Your all just talking about how playing roller messes up your ice.

Nobody has asked simalar and equally important question;

Does playing ice mess up your roller stride?

I've never played anything but roller so I can't coment make comments but i've read whats been said and i was wondering about the opposite.

were all talking about rollerblading wrecking your ice skating stride because thats what the question was...

i actually did mention that i had trouble transitioning back to roller from ice. but that's not the topic, and that's why nobody's talking about it.

-k

i heard that rollarblading hurts your ice skating stride? is this true?

i play both roller and ice hockey and i probably play more roller hockey but it doesn't hurt my ice hockey skills at all. i think that it improves my skills and i also think that both roller and ice hockey help you.

From a purely physiological standpoint I would say that the muscle memory in a ice and roller stride are different. Additionally, the turning, edge work, starts and stops are different as well.

Roller, due to its wide open nature, does help many crossover ice players improve their offensive skills, namley outlet passes, stickhandling ad creativity. Roller is also often a cheaper solution for many players.

Taking into account the positives and negatives of roller hockey cross training, I think it could be construed in different ways considering how you weigh these positives and negatives, respectively.

Not to beat this topic to death, but the main question was will it screw up your stride. Some of you have gone off quite far on how it won't improve or make you better on ice. But to the the original question, roller WILL NOT mess it up. Some good arguments can be made either way on whether it will benefit you or make you better. I think it makes you better but some make a decent case about it not helping it. But in NO WAY will it hurt your ice stride. Worst case, you might need an extra 5 or 10 minutes on the ice. Then, you won't have to think about toe snap, stopping, edges...please. Or as CHADD said, maybe this is only better players. I don't know. I just know I that I coach/instruct hundreds of kids a year, most do both and I personally have never seen one kid, NOT ONE, who didn't benefit by playing both. As for me and my house, we will play both. Good luck in your quest for the truth!

To say that Roller screws up your stride in Ice is a complete joke. This is the same old school Ice Hockey thinking that makes me sick. If it honestly hurts your skating, then you were probably a bad skater from the beginning....

Roller hockey can dramatically help your skills...Most of your coaches are completely clueless on this matter...

I'm with Justin on this one - yes there is a slight difference between the two (mainly in the angles that you want the blade/wheels to be at in relation to the surface), but it's the kind of thing that should take a warm-up to adjust to once you're used to both. Personally it's only if I've only been doing one or the other for a stretch that I notice an adjustment period when I go back to the neglected style. But the only way that playing cross code in hockey will screw up your game is if you go into it determined to make that so - put as much effort into inline as you do ice (or vice versa if applicable), and you should definately benefit.

being a novice at both I would say the surface you inline on would affect your ice skating more than inlining in general. More specifically the surface speed, and getting used to ice again. And since I rarely inline on a flat surface getting used to the idea that I am not constantly rolling. I noticed that it took about 5 minutes to get the ice feel back and I think the same is true going from ice to inline. Again I'm a novice though.

With tour skates it help your ice skating, because you have a flat chassis your turning is the exact same. If you have a hi-lo chassis and u play roller for a long time then go back to ice like i did it helps everything but your turning. you stop quicker you accelerate quicker and overall speed is better. But turning helps a lot in ice thats the only thing u have to worry about while roller skating

-tim

I think it has done my game good aswell i dont think it could make much difference to your stride unless you constantly play roller then a month later you switch again