Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gopens67

Conditioning not so important in hockey...

you don't need a whack of supplements to put on weight. i've put on nearly 30 lbs of muscle in 6 weeks so far for next years hockey, and the only thing i've been taking is your regular protein shakes, 2 a day. if you know how to train and when to train, you won't need all this creatine B.S. to put on weight. but then again, sometimes genetics fall into play, as some people can put on more weight then others more easily

Are you planning to take caffein pills in order to gain weight?

You didn't see it but I said I don't take them read what I say.

Maybe you should read what I asked. You may not be taking them right now, but it doesn't mean you aren't considering it, or have them in mind for a "what-if" scenario.

Exactly, because your attempting to body build, not condition, which is completely irrelevant to the initial topic and the interests of almost everyone on this board.

The human body is the human body. Nutrition is nutrition, and there are tons of variations that you can apply to your nutrition to help fit your goal.

If you want to be in the best CONDITION of your life, then get nutrition in check.

Supplementation will give you that edge.

What Cavs is saying is that being a hockey board, alot of your body building techniques are useless. The Human body is the Human body and Nutrition is nutrion, but both should be tweaked to work towards your goal. The best shape a body builder can be in, is an awful lot different than the best shape a Marathon runner can be in, this is what Cavs was alluding to.

5 lbs a week is utterly insane.

Seriously.

I'd be lucky to put on 5lbs of muscle per month and I supplement in addition to training 5x/week.

I am done argueing here because I am smarter than Theo and if you want to argue nutrition, come over to the bb forums.

go benchpress you meatstick.

If you are so much smarter, why can't you debate theo here, or even in the sports training section in the BB forums...

You can't debate with someone if they don't understand something. To tell you the truth it would be a complete waste of my time to go and teach a nutrition unit over the internet when you could just go to bb.com and read their nutrition articles and learn for yourself.

Why even bother arguing with Dexy, Theo? Dare I bring up the skate threads? We gave him a second chance...perhaps we shouldn't have?

Maybe it's just 'roid rage.

Don't do roids, never will. That stuff is for the ones who look for the easy way out. Steroids acts as an exogenous form of testosterone and this pretty much shuts down the bodies natural production of testosterone. So once you get off of steroids, you know longer have an exogenous form of testosterone, nor do you have any of your normal testosterone being made. This leaves your body with high levels of estrogen, the female hormone, and it can cause you to get man boobs... gyno. That is just one of the most commonly known side effects of steroids/prohormones and there are a ton of other crappy things that will happen to your system upon taking steroids. That stuff will screw your liver.

5 lbs a week is utterly insane.

@ 5 lbs a week, I doubt it would be all muscle, and you would be more than likely putting on a lot of fat at that rate too. Probably have to be takin' roids to get that much muscle :P.

Maybe you should read what I asked. You may not be taking them right now, but it doesn't mean you aren't considering it, or have them in mind for a "what-if" scenario.

Exactly, because your attempting to body build, not condition, which is completely irrelevant to the initial topic and the interests of almost everyone on this board.

The human body is the human body. Nutrition is nutrition, and there are tons of variations that you can apply to your nutrition to help fit your goal.

If you want to be in the best CONDITION of your life, then get nutrition in check.

What Cavs is saying is that being a hockey board, alot of your body building techniques are useless. The Human body is the Human body and Nutrition is nutrion, but both should be tweaked to work towards your goal. The best shape a body builder can be in, is an awful lot different than the best shape a Marathon runner can be in, this is what Cavs was alluding to.

Yeah, the reason I don't take caffeine pills is I don't want to rely on an outside source for my energy and not to mention, it has a negative effect on creatine. Caffeine is a diuretic (causes water loss) and since creatine makes you hold more water, we don't want something to take that water away.

Anyway, if someone looks at my other post about citrulline malate and says, "Well if you don't want to rely on something for energy, how come you're taking citrulline malate?"

I am taking citrulline malate because it will cause a huge increase in the amino acid L-Arginine within the blood plasma levels. L-Arginine will be transformed into Nitric Oxide by NO synthase enzymes and the nitric oxide will dilate the veins, arteries and capillaries allowing for more oxygen and nutrients to get to the muscle to grow.

This would be important to the hockey player as it would allow for more oxygen to get to the muscles and of course to last long out, you will need the increased oxygen flow. Not to mention it gives you that boost of energy.. if you want it.

Yeah, the reason I don't take caffeine pills is I don't want to rely on an outside source for my energy and not to mention, it has a negative effect on creatine. Caffeine is a diuretic (causes water loss) and since creatine makes you hold more water, we don't want something to take that water away.

Anyway, if someone looks at my other post about citrulline malate and says, "Well if you don't want to rely on something for energy, how come you're taking citrulline malate?"

I am taking citrulline malate because it will cause a huge increase in the amino acid L-Arginine within the blood plasma levels. L-Arginine will be transformed into Nitric Oxide by NO synthase enzymes and the nitric oxide will dilate the veins, arteries and capillaries allowing for more oxygen and nutrients to get to the muscle to grow.

This would be important to the hockey player as it would allow for more oxygen to get to the muscles and of course to last long out, you will need the increased oxygen flow. Not to mention it gives you that boost of energy.. if you want it.

Yes, the best shape a bodybuilder can be in is much different from the condition a hockey player can be in. But all the same, I guarantee you that if you were to go and learn about proper nutrition for your sport, you would definitely see some benefits. I am sure it would differ from bodybuilding as you would probably have different carbs and less protein... that is a guess. Anyways, check it out.

went from 165 to 195. it's not that hard to put on weight if you have a good frame to put it on. and i've been doing heavy dryland training with a combination of major jr, boxing, and some NHL workout plans with a friend of mine who's been around in the hockey world. it works too, trust me. he had his 12 yr old nephew benching 200lbs in 6 weeks, and the kids only 125lbs himself, so the kid was an animal at boxing. and if you think that i'm on roids or creatine, then you're wrong. the guy won't train anyone who's on any of that. says if you can't do it naturally, don't bother

I am done argueing here because I am smarter than Theo and if you want to argue nutrition, come over to the bb forums.

go benchpress you meatstick.

If you are so much smarter, why can't you debate theo here, or even in the sports training section in the BB forums...

You can't debate with someone if they don't understand something. To tell you the truth it would be a complete waste of my time to go and teach a nutrition unit over the internet when you could just go to bb.com and read their nutrition articles and learn for yourself.

It doen't make sense to read nutrition articles on a bodybuilding website for hockey. Last time I checked, Ronnie Coleman couldn't skate. I realize nutrition is important, but it's as easy as eating 90% of calories from carbs, and 10% from protein. Make sure you get your vitamins and get the fruits and vegetables. None of large amounts of protein diets are going to be helpful for sports athletes.

At what point does genetics come into play?

I'm about the same size a Pavel Bure, and I can pretty much guarantee with all the training and nutrition in the world going for me I wouldn't be able to skate as fast as he used to.

Be healthy, train hard and enjoy the game.

Adding muscle weight rapidly can lead to a lot of injuries. Your body is only equipped to handle so much of it's own body weight and strength before it will fail on you in the form of torn ligaments, muscle separation, and the like.

I dont think removing fruits from your body is a smart idea, I think your inviting a potential cancer.... I know that sounds kind of out there but your body needs to be an alkaline environment, meaning it has to be basic, meaning your extracellular fluid from cells(can be tested through saliva) needs to have more OH ions than H ions...H ions consume oxygen in the body... Cancer can only exist within an acidic environment... Considering fruits and vegetables are the pretty much the best basic food source, eliminating it, is very dangerous...

I dont think removing fruits from your body is a smart idea, I think your inviting a potential cancer.... I know that sounds kind of out there but your body needs to be an alkaline environment, meaning it has to be basic, meaning your extracellular fluid from cells(can be tested through saliva) needs to have more OH ions than H ions...H ions consume oxygen in the body... Cancer can only exist within an acidic environment... Considering fruits and vegetables are the pretty much the best basic food source, eliminating it, is very dangerous...

I guess that I am screwed for cancer because I have my body in positive nitrogen balance throughout the day with all those amino acids in my blood. I also eat around 6 cups of spinach a day so I hope that solves that problem.

Theo, I use to think like you, thinking that "fat" was bad and all but go and learn about its powers.

Anyway, I am done posting on modsquad about nutrition.

I'm about the same size a Pavel Bure, and I can pretty much guarantee with all the training and nutrition in the world going for me I wouldn't be able to skate as fast as he used to.

First off, Pavel was never the fastest player, he was the quickest. He always won races to the puck. Second I guarentee anyone who went through what Pavel's dad made him do, would be able to be as quick as him. With a proper skating stride also.

First off, Pavel was never the fastest player, he was the quickest. He always won races to the puck. Second I guarentee anyone who went through what Pavel's dad made him do, would be able to be as quick as him. With a proper skating stride also.

what did pavel's dad make him do?

what did pavel's dad make him do?

lol, I was thinking the same thing than you.

I also think Afinogenov skates like Bure.

IMO, Kovalev is the nicest skater in the league, what I mean is that he's the most elegant skater (mot far behind is Fedorov IMO), I don't think he's the fastest or the quickest thought.

Anyway, I am done posting on modsquad about nutrition.

Good. You aren't talking about nutrition anyway, you're talking about chemical supplementation. Additionally, the supplementation & training that you're going for is for maximum muscle SIZE, not performance. Hockey players & other athletes players have very little interest in how big or beautiful thier muscles are, all we care about is how powerful they are..

I used to read alot of the muscle magazines as well (mostly because they were the only ones that discussed nutrition & fitness) and I can guarantee you that you're in for a roller coaster ride. There are constantly new products, new studies, and new information out there that replaces the old information. I can guarantee you that 6 months from now half the junk you're taking will be old-hat and you'll be buying the next big thing.. That's your business though, so go right ahead..

To adress the OP: Conditioning is very important in hockey.

I think the original author of the post is confusing conditioning with muscle size or build. Professional hockey players may not have an impressive physique, but I guarantee you that pound-for-pound they are some of the strongest and most powerful athletes out there.

One of the best things that you can tell a beginner is to get into shape and start eating right. Heck, if you can just get them in the squat rack a few times a month and teach them to eat pasta before a game they'll be way better off than not doing anything..

Scott Niedermayer is the smoothest skater in the league, bar none. It looks like hes half assing it at all times yet somehow manages to blow by everyone.