Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neo5370

Do It Yourself Great Whites?

I put tape on my 735's and from about 10 feet away you couldn't tell that it was tape. I had a few "did you get new skates?" to.

Here's a pic

white7352qr.th.jpg

I wouldnt see why not, but if you ruin them, thats a large investment down the drain (skates)

Well I've got some junk skates I can practice on.

If I actually do this I'll try to post pics.

Don't do it you'll wreck your skates. A buddy of mine and myself tried this and at first it looks great, but after a couple of skates all it does is chip and look terrible.

Dye chips?

That's what I'm sayin'. Maybe Pats' friend used leather paint.

Anyhow, I looked up how to dye leather yourself and it seems like something that I can easily screw up.

I put tape on my 735's and from about 10 feet away you couldn't tell that it was tape. I had a few "did you get new skates?" to.

Here's a pic

white7352qr.th.jpg

That actually looks nice, but take it off before it leaves residue.

The problem is that it's really not getting dyed persay. With skates for some reason, the dye doesn't stick very well and you'll find that it chips, I'm not sure how else to describe it. I don't have any pictures, because my friend just took a sharpie to them to change them back the best he could as that was his only option.

Here's a pic

white7352qr.th.jpg

That actually looks nice, but take it off before it leaves residue.

He took it off a long time ago, it actually looked decent for a little while but it got all marked up

if you dyed your skates did you strip the laether first? when i got new boots i used a healthy dose of shaving cream and a scrub pad. i would let the shaving cream die and scrub it off wiht a scrub pad, so i'm down to the bare leather. the leather has a protective layer on it that you have to get under. if you don't the dye job is wasted. after stripping the leather i would apply a good dose of black dye, let is soak in and then used a whole can of shoe polish. end result was a mirror finsh on my boots.

hope this helps

I think I might be selling my Great White 735's soon, I am hoping to get G-35's, Great White with Pro Stiffness. After my last 4 pairs of skates have broken down in 3-4 months, and I don't work at a shop I hope that these treat me well...

Most of the time just go to your LHS and ask if they can put a custom order in for them, it will run you 100-150-200 more though

if you dyed your skates did you strip the laether first? when i got new boots i used a healthy dose of shaving cream and a scrub pad. i would let the shaving cream die and scrub it off wiht a scrub pad, so i'm down to the bare leather. the leather has a protective layer on it that you have to get under. if you don't the dye job is wasted. after stripping the leather i would apply a good dose of black dye, let is soak in and then used a whole can of shoe polish. end result was a mirror finsh on my boots.

hope this helps

Yes they were stripped first my dad sells all of the stuff that is needed and my LHS also says that they've seen another pair or two that they have tried this on and have destroyed the skates.

its easy to do it to the synergys becuase i used white vinyl decal which stays on when it gets wet, but you can take it off without ruining the skates