Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

How can I get quicker legs?

I feel like my legs just aren't strong enough to move quickly out there. I can move my legs quick for a couple strides but then I get really winded. I'm a little out of shape, so I know that is attributing itself toward the stamina factor, but my legs and feet have never been quick.

Anyone know of any off-ice drills that can help me? I'm thinking sprints...

Plyos and other explosive training. I never did alot of it. I think Ygold is really big on them, try even searching for Plyometrics. I'm sure you'll find alot. That plus stamina, which I think you know, and you'll be good, or better :)

it seems like your already doing a lot of hockey per week. sometimes i fine that taking some time off like a full week really helps out.

Simple drill.....find a moderately steep hill. Sprint up to the top and jog back down. Great for explosive speed. Jerry Rice used that his whole career, and I think Walter Payton did also.

a lot of people make the mistake of thinkin that thighs are where all of your speed comes from. don't forget to increase calf strength. anything that exercises your calfs and work to increase your vertical leap. the calf is used to finish your stride, and that will greatly increase your speed and quickness.

calf raises, jump rope, plyo's up and down hills as already mentioned.

ladder exercises... used on the ground, the rope ladders... doing different crossover and quick step drills with those help as well. do those quick and you will increase stamina as well as speed.

good luck

Plyos and other explosive training. I never did alot of it. I think Ygold is really big on them, try even searching for Plyometrics. I'm sure you'll find alot. That plus stamina, which I think you know, and you'll be good, or better :)

Well, I've seen YGlod's videos - If he got that quick from Plyos, then I'm sold.

Make sure you're strong enough to do plyometrics before you start em. I've always read that you have to be able to squat 2.5x your weight before you get into them seriously.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
I feel like my legs just aren't strong enough to move quickly out there. I can move my legs quick for a couple strides but then I get really winded. I'm a little out of shape, so I know that is attributing itself toward the stamina factor, but my legs and feet have never been quick.

Anyone know of any off-ice drills that can help me? I'm thinking sprints...

Well, now that you're married ;)

I feel like my legs just aren't strong enough to move quickly out there.  I can move my legs quick for a couple strides but then I get really winded.  I'm a little out of shape, so I know that is attributing itself toward the stamina factor, but my legs and feet have never been quick.

Anyone know of any off-ice drills that can help me?  I'm thinking sprints...

Well, now that you're married ;)

Yeah, I thought that would help improve my stamina- it's not. Maybe I should start doing the tantric thing... ;)

Make sure you're strong enough to do plyometrics before you start em. I've always read that you have to be able to squat 2.5x your weight before you get into them seriously.

I think it's 1,5x your weight.

From Twist's book,

Readiness for high-intensy plyometrics used to be tested by the ability to squat 1,5 times your body weight.p.110 for those who has it.

low intensity 1 time your body weight.p.109

About plyos...are there any websites, or books anyone can recomend about proper excercise routines, forms, etc. I want to get in to plyos, but I just dont know where to look..

Sorry if I have not seen it, but I don't think the site is hockey specific which is not neccesary good for hockey players, sure I'm sure some exercises are good for hockey but not all of them.

Here is a very simple yet extremly effective polymetric excersize that I do at home. We have a set of stairs.There are about 20, so I hop up on one foot every time I go up the stairs. I also hop on one foot coming down. After a while you just do it without thinking. I do my right foot till 2pm and then my left leg after that. Helps with your balence,explosive leg speed, and hip,thigh and lots of calf strength. Work your strength up slowely though and be careful this is a high risk excersize! Also make sure to try and keep your landing soft. I don't know why thats just what my trainer said.

Good Luck

Sniper94

P.S. My family now thinks I am crazy because we will be in a mall or something and I will hop up the stairs on one foot. What can I say, let em laugh they sure don't when I'm on the ice. :lol:

I don't think the site is hockey specific which is not neccesary good for hockey players, sure I'm sure some exercises are good for hockey but not all of them.

Oops, just realized it said basketball pylotmetric training. Sorry :wacko:

watch out for the peter twist book. It is somewhat dated, and recomends all of his products on his website to do stuff.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md37.htm

That answers your exact question on foot speed. Although, it sounds like your stride might need some work. Hit some squats to really power through in your stride. Your hip-flexor, thigh, and calf are all really important for your stride.

box jumps are clutch if you want explosive speed. at the gym here, we have a 3, 3.5, and 4 foot box to jump on. once you get the hang of it, you move up to doing it while holding medicine balls. it's a great way to work your entire legs...just don't catch your shin on the edge, that doesn't feel too great. i remember watching a broadcast, and they said that kris draper does a lot of box jumping in the off season

Here is a very simple yet extremly effective polymetric excersize that I do at home. We have a set of stairs.There are about 20, so I hop up on one foot every time I go up the stairs. I also hop on one foot coming down. After a while you just do it without thinking. I do my right foot till 2pm and then my left leg after that. Helps with your balence,explosive leg speed, and hip,thigh and lots of calf strength. Work your strength up slowely though and be careful this is a high risk excersize! Also make sure to try and keep your landing soft. I don't know why thats just what my trainer said.

Good Luck

Sniper94

P.S. My family now thinks I am crazy because we will be in a mall or something and I will hop up the stairs on one foot. What can I say, let em laugh they sure don't when I'm on the ice. :lol:

thats a pretty good idea just for getting stronger without even thinking of doing it! :lol: