Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Robby Glantz power skating clinic

I am signed up for the one in LA the first week of August. Has anyone here been to one of his camps? I have his videos...they are pretty informative IMO. I actually stopped by the last day of his Anaheim camp on Friday for 20 minutes. It seemed alright to me but I want some opinions before I bust out the credit card.

Anyone?

I was in one of his progams a year ago in minnesota and i liked it. although it was like alll the other stride camps ive been too. if your stride is lacking or dont have the best for i would recomend it.

My son was in the 4 day camp last year. My 2 complaints were that they have too many students in the class vs. number of instructers so there is a problem waiting in lines. Also, They touch on many good lessons, but spend very little time on each one.

My son was in the 4 day camp last year. My 2 complaints were that they have too many students in the class vs. number of instructers so there is a problem waiting in lines. Also, They touch on many good lessons, but spend very little time on each one.

I've heard the same thing from local participants.

So there is no one-on-one interaction with the instructors? I have a few questions I want to ask them and have them tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can improve. That is a huge reason I want to go.

I just got done one of their stickhandling and checking two day camps...it was a good camp/clinic IMO, but they could have spent more time on checking...stickhandling was very good though...if that has anything to say about the powerskating one it was pretty good

i would like to do the powerskating one if it comes to voorhees...

So there is no one-on-one interaction with the instructors? I have a few questions I want to ask them and have them tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can improve. That is a huge reason I want to go.

Nope, no one-on-one. They do the video and critique, but it's fairly generic. They have the student skate from the goal line to the blue line and back (once). They film it and tell you what you can improve on.

Wickedwrister, bottom line - do you think it's worth the money or not? I have a failry good stride but I need to work on quickness, tight turns and stopping on my weak side. I just don't want to spend $300 on things I can learn from the DVD's plus skating 3 times a week.

Wickedwrister, bottom line - do you think it's worth the money or not?  I have a failry good stride but I need to work on quickness, tight turns and stopping on my weak side.  I just don't want to spend $300 on things I can learn from the DVD's plus skating 3 times a week.

If money is tight (like when is it not?) then I can't say this is the best school. What I would suggest if it's available is to you is to find a great local player/ skater and get him out with you during a sticks-n-pucks or open skate session for one on one instruction. I don't know how old you are, but my boy is 8 and there are a couple of Midget Major and College players around here who I can get for $20-25 per hour for private instruction. Hands down a better way to go. Then you can decide what you want to work on and for how long. I would pay for/ take 12 private lessons WAY before another RG school.

sorta off topic but...

would the power skating videos help for inline as well? ...a stride is a stride, whether its ice or inline...basic fundementals are the same, right?

Wickedwrister, bottom line - do you think it's worth the money or not?  I have a failry good stride but I need to work on quickness, tight turns and stopping on my weak side.  I just don't want to spend $300 on things I can learn from the DVD's plus skating 3 times a week.

If money is tight (like when is it not?) then I can't say this is the best school. What I would suggest if it's available is to you is to find a great local player/ skater and get him out with you during a sticks-n-pucks or open skate session for one on one instruction. I don't know how old you are, but my boy is 8 and there are a couple of Midget Major and College players around here who I can get for $20-25 per hour for private instruction. Hands down a better way to go. Then you can decide what you want to work on and for how long. I would pay for/ take 12 private lessons WAY before another RG school.

Hmm....I could ask a number of guys for private lessons, but that could prove to be tough. I don't want any of them to think I'm gay...lol.

I'm 29, BTW.

Hmm....I could ask a number of guys for private lessons, but that could prove to be tough. I don't want any of them to think I'm gay...lol.I'm 29, BTW.

I have found rare if ever for another "hockey person" to be anything but helpful when it comes to helping someone else get better. Not to mention to get paid damn good money for something they love to do.

BTW: I am 35 and would be glad to take private lessons if I had the time. There are at least a half dozen things I could improve on.

I normally participate in a saturday morning skills clinic that is held by 2 of 3 guys. They have been doing this for years now and are pretty good at instructing both beginners as well as guys with 5-10 years under thier belt and in the same clinic. Last sunday I participated in a private group lesson for a friends team. The guy played in a minor leauge Hockey team for a number of years. Although he was skilled, he did not run the class very well and was giving too much information too fast. Teaching is much different than performing and some people are good at it and some are not. I help coach with my 6 and 4 year old. Since I am learning myself, I find I'm more successful just giving them 1 thing to work on at a time. What I found best from my clinics is when they demonstrate and teach a skill that I am capable of learning at my level then give me drills to do on public sessions.

Still not sure what I'm going to do. <_<

I wish I would have been able to go to the first couple days of the camp last week to watch (instead of just being able to go on the last day). On the last day the kids were already somewhat familiarized with some of the drills- I want to know what happens on the first two days, like if the instructors point out things you're doing wrong in the drills and work with you.

I know they don't do full on one on one stuff, but I was hoping they would at least critique you. And when I was watching on the last day last week, they were barely doing that.

Hmm....I could ask a number of guys for private lessons, but that could prove to be tough.  I don't want any of them to think I'm gay...lol.

I'm 29, BTW.

I've been taking private lessons for 3 months now and it has helped my skating tremendously. One of the local coaches saw me skating during one of his lessons during the public skate session and offered some advice. We got to know each other a little bit and I finally just asked him if he had time in his schedule to give me lessons.

The nice thing about working with a private coach is that he works me a hell of a lot harder than I work myself. It really paid off when I took my first 1 hour lesson at the rink and was able to be on my feet for a full 30min before I had to take a quick sit.

I did the Robby Glantz a few years ago. It's not bad for the $$$ although like some others said you don't really get 1-on-1 time with the instructors. They videotape you so you get to look at your skating stride, and go over a lot of the basic mechanics of skating.

If there is something specific you are trying to work on, you might be better off just working with a local instructor in a 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 situation.