Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Please explaing sharpening to me....

I usually get my skates sharpened at the standard 1/2 inch, but I don't know how to go about figuring out what would work best for me.

JR? Chadd? I was going to ask at the Robby Glantz camp but it looks like I'm probably not going to go now, so that's out.

Any help would be much appreciated....thanks!

The higher the number, the "shallower" the hollow. The shallower the hallow, the better the glide. The deeper hollow gives you more "bite". You want square edges, which means they are even. You want a smooth finish. After they are sharpened look at the blades, you should be able to see lines going in a direction with the blade and not wavy or a different colour.

Recap : 1/4" = Deep cut = More bite, less glive

7/8" = Shallow cut = less bite, more glide

Try going shallower, see if you like it. 5/8 is pretty well the next step.

I think I covered it in that thread before.

Dangles - it depends on the shop. You have those knuckleheads who tink that 3/8" is standard on slushy ice. Back in Orlando, my store's standard depth was 1/2". It is a good starting point. What scares people when they go shallower is that they have to learn to use their edges more as the skater is not into the ice as much. How much do you weigh? Experimentation is the best way.

Eazy pretty much nailed the short version. Keep in mind that your (fornt to back) radius will make a difference as well. You may skate better on a 5/8" hollow on 9ft but 1/2" on 11 ft.

As JR said, I see too many people that expect the skates to do all the work for them. Guys that have plenty of size and strength using 3/8, even on bad ice.

During the summer, when the ice is junky, I find it hard to skate on anything flatter than a 5/8" hollow without falling down a lot.

I used to think that with the softer ice you would want a 3/4" or so, so it would not dig in so much. But I now realize that the bumpy ice you get from lousy freezing needs a sharper edge to cut thru the hills and valleys!

i need to get my nike's sharpened!! if your blade has a lot of dig and not so much glide, does that mean you have to skate harder?? hmm.. well, i want a good edge. all that jazz about the chunky ice and hot weather has confused me. i just want a good edge, and i'll deal with the rest. i was thinking the edge with not so much dig, and good glide. i want shallower than 1/2.. so would that be 5/8?? the hockey shop i plan on going to so that i can get my skates sharpened has the following options:

3/8, 1/2, 7/16, and 9/16. so which is closest to 5/8?? i'm not good with fractions! thanks guys! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

i wear a 13 ft radius, go 5/8 in the summer, 1/2 in winter. its all pp, i went from 13 to 11 once, hated it cuz i felt liek i was running on ice. in my experience ive gone from 9 to 11 to 13, and 13 is my favorite. and the glide idea is accurate, the onyl thing with 13 is that i feel a tad longer sharp turns and crossovers, but they were at theyre best at 9. for the optimal, u have to sacrifice one thign for another, whatever it is

As JR said, I see too many people that expect the skates to do all the work for them. Guys that have plenty of size and strength using 3/8, even on bad ice.

That would be me :unsure:

I'm pretty good on my edges but cannot cut hard on a 1/2 hollow. 3/8 cured my hard cornering wipeouts.

If my lhs has a standard depth of 1/2 inch cut and i want them to make diferent cut than standard is that alot of work to do, also will they most likely charge more, or will they do a bad job because of the difficulty. thanks

You guys are so lucky. We get our skates sharpened where I am in Australia, by hand, on a bench grinder. There is no way of knowing how deep the hollow is.

Last week my edges were so badly uneven I had to get off the ice 2 minutes in after getting totally geared up.

Dangles - it depends on the shop. You have those knuckleheads who tink that 3/8" is standard on slushy ice. Back in Orlando, my store's standard depth was 1/2". It is a good starting point. What scares people when they go shallower is that they have to learn to use their edges more as the skater is not into the ice as much. How much do you weigh? Experimentation is the best way.

Pushing 130 lbs - 5'7"

I'm not the fastest skater in the world but I have very sturdy on my feet. It's one of the few strongpoints in hockey I have. By the way, last season I wore an 7D Vapor X.