Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruin88

junior tryouts/camps

get off his case, everyone has something they need to work on, im sure the rest of his game is solid because an invitation to a jr. B camp at the age of 15 doesn't just go out to everyone. at least he has admitted it, and thats something im sure he will work on in the future

If you can not make crossovers both ways, by definition you need skating instruction.  You might also have a weekness in that one foot that does not allow you to balance long enough to do the crossover to that one side properly.  Hey, you can fake it if you want, but it is going to be hard to hide this a year or two from now when you are trying out for real.  Why put it off?

no ,the balance is fine but they just arent quick. i dont know when i said i was putting it off. im probably going to end up taking power skating to get the crossovers down. and i dont think its gonig to take me 2 years to get them down. they were getting decent from the power skating for hockey program at school ,then i had my concussion and i was off 3 months and i guess i have to get going on them again. my guess is that itll take 1/2 ice times to get them as god as my other sideand maybe some off ice without skates to get the motion and bounce in them(would this help?)

get off his case, everyone has something they need to work on, im sure the rest of his game is solid because an invitation to a jr. B camp at the age of 15 doesn't just go out to everyone. at least he has admitted it, and thats something im sure he will work on in the future

around here, you don't get invites to jr b camps. all the tryouts are walk-ons i believe. jr a is where you need to be invited to try out, or drafted.

What i'd reccomend is to be a team player and pass and not showoff(unless you can) also don't dordle and always go as fast as you can

and try and flash your number infront of the scouts bench!

I am no expert on skating, but one key to quick crossovers is to keep the blade of the crossing over skate fairly low and parallel to the ice. If you point the toe down in mid-air, that is extra time needed to straighten out the blade before touching down.

I am no expert on skating, but one key to quick crossovers is to keep the blade of the crossing over skate fairly low and parallel to the ice. If you point the toe down in mid-air, that is extra time needed to straighten out the blade before touching down.

not necisarily, your power in your push comes from the ball of your foot, so you have to find a balance between the toe and flat blade.

People confuse the actual purpose of the crossover. Its to gain speed through a turn, not simply change direction. If im crossing over to the left, my right foot comes over, my left foot then slides underneath and explodes on my outside edge, (this push is crucial for gaining speed), then the second stride is made with the right foot once its back on the ground. If you can perfect the form and strength element of this techique you will feel like you're being shot out of a rocket every time you crossover.

People confuse the actual purpose of the crossover. Its to gain speed through a turn, not simply change direction. If im crossing over to the left, my right foot comes over, my left foot then slides underneath and explodes on my outside edge, (this push is crucial for gaining speed), then the second stride is made with the right foot once its back on the ground. If you can perfect the form and strength element of this techique you will feel like you're being shot out of a rocket every time you crossover.

thats what i feal when i do crossovers on the one side. backwards i have them good both ways.