Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockey_player_11

What makes a good coach?

One who can adapt to the players he coaches as well as the systems the other teams use and has the ability to communicate his plans to the players.

i like coaches who know the game,can teach the game,shows self control,a coach who runs drills in practices,and then goes over game like situations{special teams or controlled breakouts}i like a coach who shows passion for the game.

I think motivation is probably the best asset for a good coach, at least for me. I have had coaches who are "good" because they're great at running practice, they teach their systems well, they definitely know their hockey, and do everything else right, but when it comes down to it, they do a terrible job motivating their team to play well. I guess I am hard to please as a player, but if the coach doesn't motivate his team, not just me, then I can't think of him as a good coach. I also hate nice coaches, the ones who try to be friends with people on the team. My coach this year only got mad at our team once, and he was terrible at it.

I like coaches who aren't bastardsand get pissed every time someone screws up. They also should have fun drills that work. and they souldn't have stupid rulse likee being dressed 15 min. before PRACTICE not games but practices.My soach did it last year and it was stupid since he wasn't even in the locker room.

Guest phillyfan

I actually prefer a strict, no-nonsense approach sort of coach. Being constantly corrected for whatever we do wrong is encouraging until the point we no longer need to be corrected. A coach that knows the game, and has been involved with it for a long time. Coaches that don't run the same drill every single practice for the entire practice. Coaches that take and accept positive criticism as well, I hate when a Coach makes a stupid mistake, and won't accept any help, or ackknowledge that they were wrong.

hocckey77:Being dressed 15 minutes may seem stupid and pointless now, but you'll thank him later on. It's a foundation of responsibility, and maturity. Even without a Coach telling us to, the majority of my team gets to games/practices 45-60 minutes before, and we are all dressed and ready to go out onto the ice 10-15 minutes before. I always thought something like this was a given, add that to my pet peeve list too. I dislike players who show up 10 minutes before the game time, and comes out half-way through the first.

The coach I like is the one who shows a true passion for the game and everything involved with it. Whether it's playing poker until midnight in the hotels or going with the players to McDonalds after practice. Also a coach who runs hard practices and has good sucess with players and parents. It also helps to have a good sense of humor but be strict about players messing around at practices and games.

A coach should'nt take his players to McDonalds lol

Anyways the best example I could give of a great coach would be Herb Brooks. Im sure most have seen the movie Miracle. He seemed to be one of the best coaches ever. He was tough, He cared, and did whatever it took to motivate his team to win against all odds. What I loved is that he did'nt want the best players, he wanted the right ones.

The coach I like is the one who shows a true passion for the game and everything involved with it. Whether it's playing poker until midnight in the hotels or going with the players to McDonalds after practice. Also a coach who runs hard practices and has good sucess with players and parents. It also helps to have a good sense of humor but be strict about players messing around at practices and games.

That sounds like the kind of coach I'd like.

Someone who identifies who they are dealing with and realizes what each player needs to be successful. A coach that'll go for bat for his players if he feels it's in their best interest (when they are right or wrong), can have some fun, but knows when it's "game time". Someone who can argue with the refs, but not take it overboard, unless it's necessary (As a coach i'm working on this one still).

I like a coach like Kosy and Flo_Hockey like, but I also think that I like a coach who isn't afraid to push his players to be the best, and get everything he can out of them. I hate coaches who sit on teh bench and when a BS penalty is called he will just say oh well, I like it when they stand up for their team, thats what a true coach should do. I also think a good coach should learn to use his players effectively(sp?). Take advantage of what you have and don't dwell on the skills your team doesn't. I guess I like a coach who works with the team, not one that trys to change it.

I also like coaches who take risks, like putting out people at the end of the game who you normally wouldn't think would work, or choosing someone as a captain who the parents wouldn't like. Stuff like that sends the message that its the coach's team, not anyone elses.