Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tri_19

Under your gear?

I don't know about anyone else, but one of the reasons I use UnderArmour/Dri-Fit is because they do keep me dry and cooler. Heat retention ? Even with these things on I sweat like an animal and am hot, and this is true even when I'm playing outdoors in colder temperatures than I would ever see in an indoor rink. When I am playing hockey I am never, ever cold.

I understand what you are saying that being dryest/coolest would seem most comfortable, but perhaps a physiologist would state there is an optimal temperature for muscular function. For instance, I don't like a stifling hot gym, but I find I get better workouts in warm gyms versus cold gyms.

Further, there are people like myself who will be coming from wearing cotton shirts, so even if they have oinly 90% of the heat/moisture wicked away instead of 100%, they'll still be happy.

The PuckSkin Silver acts in two distinct ways:

1. It prevents bacteria from clustering, building up and embedding into the fibers of the garment. Untreated garments, even when laundered, retain buildup, hence the reek factor that you notice and hear of.

2. It transfers hot and cold energy. Heat retension when you are in a Cold arena, sweating. Cooling, when you are in the blazing heat, training outside.

It keeps you warm, when you need the warmth.

It keeps you cool, when you start heating up.

cheers,

gb

2. It transfers hot and cold energy. Heat retension when you are in a Cold arena, sweating. Cooling, when you are in the blazing heat, training outside.

I am curious, how does it 'know' when the wearer needs cooling, and when he needs heat retention ? Is there a transition point at which the material starts transferring heat in another direction ? Are cooling properties mediated by something other than the wicking away of moisture ?

So the silver...ok its all starting to make sense now. I agree w/ the poster that said UA starts to reek after a while. I remember even after washing my UA it would still have a bit of a smell while the Puckskin does not. I didn't know Puckskin had this feature. In that case it's ideal for people who are prone to skin problems and such..like me!

2. It transfers hot and cold energy.  Heat retension when you are in a Cold arena, sweating. Cooling, when you are in the blazing heat, training outside.

I am curious, how does it 'know' when the wearer needs cooling, and when he needs heat retention ? Is there a transition point at which the material starts transferring heat in another direction ? Are cooling properties mediated by something other than the wicking away of moisture ?

The Silver threads act in a web-like fashion to take heat from hotspots through the garment.

it's the silver that transfers the energy, through the natural properties of silver itself.

I know it sounds a bit like Voodo, but it actually works. You really notice when you a wear a Black PuckSkin shirt in direct Sun and heat and you don't regret wearing black, if that makes sense??

cheers,

gb

i use a mission full body sweat suit works well for me

does it retain that synthetic fiber smell? is it itchy? single layer or double layer? I Have not seen that suit yet?

cheers,

gb

anywhere we can by this stuff online? Also what are PG gloves? they like puck skin for your hands?

He meant PG1 gloves.

jpegpg105blackyellow6zk.jpg

Also, I hadn't seen you had posted in both links. You might want to consider gloves with antibacterial lining for your hands.

Thanks - firstly do they really work? second how much do they cost? third - where can i buy them

life goes on....

Are you referring to the PG1's or the PuckSkin?

I haven't used the PuckSkin, but friends who have say it's excellent compared to the typical under garments.

If you're referring to the gloves, I haven't had skin problems so I'm not a good sample. However, a professional player in Europe who had eczema switched to our gloves because of the anti-bacterial lining and his eczema cleared in a few weeks.

You can try Puck Hog Hockey. They have some of our products on their website, although I'm not sure if they have the PG1's. Otherwise, ask your LHS to carry them.

anywhere we can by this stuff online? Also what are PG gloves? they like puck skin for your hands?

privacy is raked.....

I got my puckskin at Larry's Sports Shop in North Vancouver. Great guys. Their website is www.myhockeystore.com. They don't have puckskin on their site but if you email them about it i'm sure you guys can work sth out.

It's not your typical undergarment. Its very light and it feels like you're wearing nothing! I've been using mine for almost a year now and I recommend you guys give it a look.

The PuckSkin Silver acts in two distinct ways:

1. It prevents bacteria from clustering, building up and embedding into the fibers of the garment. Untreated garments, even when laundered, retain buildup, hence the reek factor that you notice and hear of.

IMHO, treated garments and treated equipment also retain bacteria buildup. From my experience in deodorizing thousands of these pieces of equipment, I can attest the silver or whatever process is used does not last long. Not to mention the hundreds of skates with these linings that come across my sharpener, gagging me with the smells.

Yes, I expect to get flamed by all the manufacturers/reps on this board who are proud of their product features, etc, etc, and who like to use this feature as a selling point, but all I'm am saying is don't be too optimistic. Odors/bacterias may be reduced, but to what levels has so many variables. We have to be fair and identify the cons as well.

I also use two anti-microbal shirts that I use for hockey and they are no different than the non-antimicrobal wicking shirt I use. They all smell the same, nasty. The garments do help wick out sweat and keep me cool, that's the main reason I use them.

IMHO, treated garments and treated equipment also retain bacteria buildup.  From my experience in deodorizing thousands of these pieces of equipment, I can attest the silver or whatever process is used does not last long.  Not to mention the hundreds of skates with these linings that come across my sharpener, gagging me with the smells.

Yes, I expect to get flamed by all the manufacturers/reps on this board who are proud of their product features, etc, etc, and who like to use this feature as a selling point, but all I'm am saying is don't be too optimistic.  Odors/bacterias may be reduced, but to what levels has so many variables.  We have to be fair and identify the cons as well.

I also use two anti-microbal shirts that I use for hockey and they are no different than the non-antimicrobal wicking shirt I use.  They all smell the same, nasty.  The garments do help wick out sweat and keep me cool, that's the main reason I use them.

Hi Jimmy,

I think I'm the the only base layer brand on this board topic(although I could be wrong), so let me explain our viewpoint on the subject. Jimmy brings up some good points. ;)

flaming you Jimmy would be a tactic used by some of the other brands, but not PuckSkin style ...we applaud you for your courage to deodorize thousands of pieces of hockey equipment. and...not only that, we totally agree with Jimmy.

There are lots of variables at play. Odors can be minimized by preventing bacteria buildup etc. the process works best when the garments are isolated from nasty odors in the bag, and laundered frequently. If you leave PuckSkin in nasty bag, it will smell bad, no doubt about it. But, the silver in PuckSkin will allow the garment to get back to par with washing and proper care. Other garments that have a chemical treatment for their Antimicrobial finish are merely temporary fixes, Silver is permanent. Hence, some brands reek no matter how many times you wash it....

{The silver process just happens to be the safest, most natural way to inhibit bacteria growth. Chemicals are a bad thing, when they are blended with apparel! Please avoid them.}

So, we feel that having a PuckSkin long sleeve top and long pant is the best way to minimize your risk of catching a bug from your gear, and if you have rashes or skin irritations, PuckSkin really helps. We've just seen it work too many times to be doubters, but again, we make the stuff, so be your own judge.

My question to you Jimmy is; When will you try PuckSkin :P ?

Our biggest selling feature with PuckSkin, we've found, has to be the feel(texture) and the weight of the garment. The NHL guys that wear our product, could care less about the antibacterial side of our products as they have trainers that wash their stuff regularly. When they hear that we don't use chemicals, that strikes a chord with them, but their main issues are FEEL & PERFORMANCE. They rave about PuckSkin making them feel loose and light, and dry.

So, we'd be curious to know what antimicrobial shirts you wear Jimmy?

cheers,

gb

GB, Ah I wasn't being serious about the flaming, just some are so defensive about their products they can't take criticism of any kind. You don't expect them to be upfront about negatives, those are always ignored. Your response was pretty forthright, we all appreciate that. And yes, silver is better than chemical.

I do believe AM type products work, however very limited in "real life" hockey world and environment. In a perfect controlled lab, the results are totally different than inside a real world average Joe's hockey bag, which is quite possibly the nastiest breeding ground for our bacteria friends. I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't experience it and see the real results, of antimicrobal gloves, skates, pads, etc.. But, as always, results may vary.

I'd be glad to test a Puck Skin out! Mail to...... :)

Hey Jimmy

speaking of nastiness in the hockey bag, did you ever read that article from the national post last winter?

if not the link is here... germ warfare...scary stuff!

gb

Yes I did. I also have another great article called "Killer in the Locker Room". It's about the staff infection players have gotten from sports equipment and how it has killed them. I have it right out front where the moms and wives can read it. It's great for generating business. :)

privacy is raked.....

I got my puckskin at Larry's Sports Shop in North Vancouver. Great guys. Their website is www.myhockeystore.com. They don't have puckskin on their site but if you email them about it i'm sure you guys can work sth out.

It's not your typical undergarment. Its very light and it feels like you're wearing nothing! I've been using mine for almost a year now and I recommend you guys give it a look.

adding to Andoy's comments...

A bit about Larry's Sports. They were one of the first retailers to start selling PuckSkin, a couple of seasons ago. I believe they are up over 2500 pieces sold.

It's amazing to see almost every guy in our league wearing PuckSkin thanks to them, the guys at Larry's Sports are amazing.

They sell Under Armour too, and CCM's version. The staff even wears UA while working :rolleyes: yet they keep pumping out the PuckSkin.

cheers

gb

Im not gonna lie guys, i air out my equipment but never wash it. for one i heard you cant wash UA as it counteracts what its made, so i dont. plus i have UA socks, which i never wash, they are crusty as all hell. call this all superstition, my gear is rank but the smell doesnt bother me that much. o and i've been getting the elbow pad rash lately. what i do is i just grind it out in the shower when its wet with a rough cloth.

ahh the superstitions of a hockey player

Im not gonna lie guys, i air out my equipment but never wash it. for one i heard you cant wash UA as it counteracts what its made, so i dont. plus i have UA socks, which i never wash, they are crusty as all hell. call this all superstition, my gear is rank but the smell doesnt bother me that much. o and i've been getting the elbow pad rash lately. what i do is i just grind it out in the shower when its wet with a rough cloth.

If we ever need a PuckSkin PosterBoy, I know where to look!

:o

cheers

gb

Most guys I play with (I live over in Germany) use a 100% cotton sweat suit (looks like a one piece jumper) but I prefer my Nike Dri-fit top and a pair of polypropylene long-underwear. I also use some Pearl Izumi biking socks. I used to go barefoot but my skates were suffering from the sweat.

If we ever need a PuckSkin PosterBoy, I know where to look!

:o

cheers

gb

I'll bet he's NOT married! :D No wife would stand for that