Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tri_19

Under your gear?

My customers are much the same as Jimmys. They want it all in one or they don't want it. 99% don't want to deal with a garter and jock. The ones that do are looking to save 4 or 5 bucks and could care less about performance.

so the theory that the kids want what the pros wear is out the window i guess?

I have yet to hear a Pro guy wearing an all-in-one but i could be wrong.

a regional poll might put the demand quotient into perspective, I know here(BC) that all-in-ones are getting popular with the kids. Yet UA and Nike don't produce one do they?

also, are adults buying all-in-ones?

cheers

gb

Kids have no idea what udergear the pros are using. They all have UA shirts around here but the vast majority are using all in one compression or loose fit combos. I still have a few old school customers but the vast majority are going to combos because of the convenience. They don't have to worry about packing 2 or 3 small pieces, just the one big piece.

As CHadd said, most parents want ease of use on the bottoms. For example, I even have a few customers whose kids don't like the velcro on the Shk Dr's because it lifts up, not down. Most skaters, adult and youth do not wear the long pants, regardless of make unless they have some kind of rash problem. The loose jock shorts are most popular, then compression shorts. FEW adults wear long bottoms. Wicking on the bottoms is not a concern, just on the tops. Loose jocks are very cool anyway.

Yes, it could be a regional thing (I hear Canadians won't wear white helemts) :D

Based on conversations I've had with Sweden, I think it is regional.

In 2004, their under garment was a one piece like the prospectors would wear in the Gold Rush. When I told him that we needed to add an UnderArmour type garment, he asked me what it was. He said it just wasn't big yet in Europe.

I prefer an all-in-one myself. As long as the bull's eye is in the right spot, it shouldn't be too difficult to design. I was thinking about your idea for the SockJawz today. You mentioned something about the Velcro somehow opposes itself to tighten the bond. Does that mean both sides are the "male" side? If that is the case, that could cause problems in the laundry. On the first pair of Joc I purchased, I couldn't understand why there was a piece of "closure" on the Velcro, so I cut it off. It turned out that closure prevented the Velcro from catching things in the wash, including the Joc itself, which ended up lasting less than it should have as a result.

More feedback on the PuckSkin today. I grew up in Boston, which may not be New Orleans muggy, but is pretty humid. Then I lived in SoCal for quite some time. I never had thought of San Diego as being humid before, but after eight years in Denver, SD now seems like a steam room to me. :(

I worked out today and I noticed the PS was much better than my normal cotton tank top. My face was dripping sweat but my skin was cool to the touch after taking off the PS t-shirt. I noticed the real difference after showering. Because this area seems muggy to me, I usually go right back to sweating after showering, but I only had a touch of perspiration on my forehead today.

Last, as long as we're asking for new designs. How about an basketball style tank top? Can't get much cooler than that.

We sell so many loose shorts and comp shorts in our shop that I have stopped fill-ins on old school jock supporter and cup separates. The old school stuff would turn into an inventory mess. Now, when somebody says they need just a jock or cup, if I don't have the old school jock or cup for the customer to clean out my old inventory I just tell him all we have are loose short or comp short combos. They will buy it( hey, I'm a rink pro shop so if you need a cup for the game in 10 minutes, you have no other options!) and they always end up satisfied. For the little guys, hockey moms love the ease of the shorts.

Chadd and Jimmy, I mentioned the velcro tabs for Puckskin shorts/longs to GB. I agree with you guys that players want all in one with that kind of item. I sell Nike Dri-Fit Tight pants without the velcro but that is the only brand of that type of item in my shop. The Jock Plus long pants with velcro sell very well for the guy who wants long pants and the velcro.

Jimmy, where's Cheevers?

Jimmy, where's Cheevers?

Peter,

Do you mean where's the picture or where's Cheevers right now?

The picture is Jimmy's avatar next to his posts.

I don't know what Cheesie does full time, but he commentates on about five B's games a year. I like his style. Something calming about it

I was looking for "Cheesy" as his avatar. Right now, I'm looking at W again.

Cheevers used to have some great games against my old team, the Rangers. "Glove save and a beauty!"

Interesting conversation regarding undergarments. I think its a potentail growth niche for companies and Pro shops.

But first let me tell you why parents will go for the one piece garter/short everytime..... because its one less thing to lose...... In the state playdowns last year, my squirt tells me at the rink that his jock is gone....so I had to buy the expensive shock doctor combo at the rink..... $55 bucks for jock, ouch that hurts. The other Dad's were laughing at me, but I'm not sending my kid out with no cup. Well wouldn't you know, some other kid on the team had my son's jock/garter in his bag. Now That kid has no jock, so his dad buys the shock doctor off me. I should have charged him more because he was one of the Dad's laughing at me, LOL. So....that's why parents will always choose the combo bottoms.

The kids I coach enjoy the fashion of their equipment as much as the function, and the hockey companies would be smart to start putting their logos on these underarmour garments more prominently. Kids would snap them up to wear as clothes.

I see more and more adults and college age kids wearing Under Armour around town (I hope its a seperate pair just for fashion, cuz mine stink).

The Under Armour is usually one primary color and that's all. If a company produced team colors and slapped a Hockey company Logo on it, kids would buy it.....some for the function......alot for the fashion and coolness factor. It would be a way for them to identify themselves at school as a hockey player without wearing their jersey like some of them like to do.

Also, we all know there are a lot of rich Hockey parents with more money than common sense. I coach in one of those programs, and some of my parents will buy their kid anything they want from the pro shop. If a program could order color co-ordinated Under Armour with the team logo......I think some programs would order a whole bunch.

Heck, I'd buy a few short sleeve tops if they had yellow/Bruins logo and Red/ Canadians Logo.

Right now I just wear something called WSI long sleeve tops and long bottoms...both in basic black. No fashion, just function. But my opinion is there is a lot of money to be made in these athletic undergarments.

Their function is undeniable, that's why they cost more than cotton garments.....but people only buy one or two when its just for function. Start introducing fashion to them with colors and logos that allow kids to identify themselves as hockey players, and they'll buy one in every color. That's my opinion.

I was looking for "Cheesy" as his avatar. Right now, I'm looking at W again.

Cheevers used to have some great games against my old team, the Rangers. "Glove save and a beauty!"

We were living in Bernardsville in 1972 when friends of my parents got tickets to the clinching game of the Finals.

I'm sure my mother couldn't have named three players, but I don't think a nine-year-old kid was going to score the second seat..... :lol:

The kids I coach enjoy the fashion of their equipment as much as the function, and the hockey companies would be smart to start putting their logos on these underarmour garments more prominently. Kids would snap them up to wear as clothes.

Hipster, that leads into a question:

If all things were equal between the quality and price of the garments, what do people think about having the classic Hockey Hall of Fame logo on their under garment?

The kids I coach enjoy the fashion of their equipment as much as the function, and the hockey companies would be smart to start putting their logos on these underarmour garments more prominently. Kids would snap them up to wear as  clothes.

Hipster, that leads into a question:

If all things were equal between the quality and price of the garments, what do people think about having the classic Hockey Hall of Fame logo on their under garment?

If the choice was an UnderArmour logo or a HHOF logo on my performance underwear, I'd choose the HHOF.

Especially if I was getting it to wear casually rather than under gear.

Kids however, would not clamor for the HHOF logo, IMO. But they might choose an NHL logo over the Under Armour or Nike swoosh logo.

I saw a guy today at Starbucks with a powder Blue Starter performance T-shirt with jeans and sandals.

So the trend is there. And the people who wear performance shirts for casual wear are going to be brand and image concious. But they'll pay more and buy more units of the same product than someone who only uses it for under gear.

....so I had to buy the expensive shock doctor combo at the rink..... $55 bucks for jock, ouch that hurts.

Wow, you must of bought that Shk Dr at a rink pro shop, they like to inflate the prices for that "emergency" piece of gear. :P I sell them for a reasonable $34.99, no tax, no gratuities.

I agree that under gear sales is growing, both for function and style. What's even better is that those of use who play more than once a week will have to get more than one, because you can't have one in the dirty laundry god forbid. For example, I own 4 pairs of oxysox just so I always have a pair. Speaking of that, have to get one and head to the rink. See ya.

I wear the WSI Microtech loose short sleeve shirt almost every day in the summer. I have half a dozen of them and they are much cooler than anything else I own. I use the wikmax stuff when I play, but the micro tech is much cheaper for day to day wear.

http://www.wsisports.com/detail.aspx?ID=46

BTW, there is no difference in our avitars. :o

I wear the WSI Microtech loose short sleeve shirt almost every day in the summer. I have half a dozen of them and they are much cooler than anything else I own. I use the wikmax stuff when I play, but the micro tech is much cheaper for day to day wear.

http://www.wsisports.com/detail.aspx?ID=46

BTW, there is no difference in our avitars. :o

Yours is a prop from a Kevin Smith movie too?

:P

Jimmy:

How do you like those Oxysox? Are they thin? I'm looking to get a few pairs of sox to wear for games that are nice and thin, but I have'nt made up my mind yet, and my locals don't have anything, so I have to base a decision on advertisements or others opinions.

Who makes a good thin sock? I don't need anything fancy that reverses my blood flow or some other marketing fluff I read about. I just want THIN socks.

BTW, I also wear the WSI loose fit. I went with the long tops and bottoms so I could use them to stay warm while coaching too.

But if I find some good short sleeves with good colors and/or style, I'll buy a few of those too.

I absolutely love OxySox. They are not as thin as say, a sanitary sock, but thinner than an athletic sock. Also, keep in mind it is compression so there's no bunching up or anything like that.

Back to shirts - I just received a couple of polos from Itech - the IceAir ones. Very nice.

I LOVE PUCKSKIN!!! :D

As a former competative player and continuing hard training athlete, my appreciation goes out for what the fellas at Puckskin have done. It's about time someone has decided to take the function over fashion approach to training apparel. We don't need anymore high priced name brands that suck... the money out of the wallet and leave you smelly, wet and unhappy. To be able to slip into a soft garment ( I prefer long sleeve, long pant) prior to putting on my equipment to do my warm up, then to go play an intense game, and then a cool down workout without having to change is simply magical. There is nothing worse than peeling ofF wet formfit clothing not to mention the chaffing... oh the chaffing. Anyway keep up the good fight PUCKSKIN!!!

Who makes a good thin sock? I don't need anything fancy that reverses my blood flow or some other marketing fluff I read about. I just want THIN socks.

Hipster, we make a very good thin sock, particularly for the price. I have to return your email, so I'll give you more details.

I've had very good luck with Pear Sox sanitary socks. Thin, cheap and made about an hour away from me.

Jimmy:

How do you like those Oxysox? Are they thin? I'm looking to get a few pairs of sox to wear for games that are nice and thin, but I have'nt made up my mind yet, and my locals don't have anything, so I have to base a decision on advertisements or others opinions.

BTW, I also wear the WSI loose fit. I went with the long tops and bottoms so I could use them to stay warm while coaching too.

But if I find some good short sleeves with good colors and/or style, I'll buy a few of those too.

First of all, I love the oxysox. They are not marketing hype or fluff, they actually work at reducing fatigue. Something I really need.

They are fairly thin, not as thin as others but pretty thin. You should check them out in person. If your LHS doesn't have then, try other sporting goods stores, or running shoe stores. Or go to oxysox.com and ask them where the nearest dealer is, or to send you a sample of the material. I've sold lots of these, some customers have complained they are too thin. Go figure.

where did you get your PuckSkin? thanks for the positive feedback...

gb

GB,

A little known store in Kamloops, The Player's Bench. Are you coming up with any other lines??? :lol:

Jimmy:

How do you like those Oxysox? Are they thin?  I'm looking to get a few pairs of sox to wear for games that are nice and thin, but I have'nt made up my mind yet, and my locals don't have anything, so I have to base a decision on advertisements or others opinions.

First of all, I love the oxysox. They are not marketing hype or fluff, they actually work at reducing fatigue. Something I really need.

They are fairly thin, not as thin as others but pretty thin. You should check them out in person. If your LHS doesn't have then, try other sporting goods stores, or running shoe stores. Or go to oxysox.com and ask them where the nearest dealer is, or to send you a sample of the material. I've sold lots of these, some customers have complained they are too thin. Go figure.

I absolutely love my Oxysox!

We have prototype PuckSkin socks in the queue.

will announce their arrival when it happens

gb

Thanks Chadd,

I notice that the new UA Metal stuff has silver in it too. I checked it out at SportChek in West Van yesterday. $69.99 for long sleeve top. I will reserve my own personal comments, but would love to hear yours.

They are marketing their Silver as an aid to moisture transport.

Our nano silver yarns are different as they reduce the growth of bacteria, hence the reduction in odor w/puckskin.

My question to the mods is- Are there any other brands besides PuckSkin that are focussing on safety against bacteria? and/or odor elimination?

cheers

gb

Update. Since this thread peaked my interest, I've obtained a Puckskin top. I have tested it thouroughly, wore it 4 times playing hockey, alternating it with my UA shirt over a two-week hot late summer period. Without a doubt, it's moisture wicking capabilities are superior and overall comfort superior as well. Since I know the UA is slighly better than the WSI, then my conclusion is Puckskin wins the best of the three. For me anyway. I can't comment on ability to reject smells yet since it is still fairly new, but it does not smell and has been washed 5 times. So far so good. In summer heat it felt very cool and light. I'll have to wait a few months to review the "heat retention" capabilites when one of the rinks I play at reaches it's normal winter below zero temps. :lol: