Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Norm

OutsideEdgeAPhobia

I'm having real problems with trusting my outside edges. Not just trusting them to grab, but trusting that if I go to an outside edge my ankle won't just roll over, as it has so many time in the past. Of course, this causes real problems with little things like crossovers. As soon as that leg starts to come over and the weight on the glide skate shifts to the outside edge I just lose it.

First: is there ANY kind of reassurance that you can give me that if I do trust my outside edge that my ankles won't be making sounds like a cement mixer 30 seconds later? (It's ok to lie)

Second: Are there any drills that you can suggest to strengthen my trust in my outside edges?

Thanks all!!!

First: Make sure your edges are sharp. I have lost edges before during games and would be scared shitless to turn because going at high speed.

Second: I'd just continue to work on your crossovers with the outside edge. Thats all i could suggest.

Feel free to correct me on anything guys.

There are edge drills that I have seen figure skaters do. You skate forward on one skate and make a halfcircle on the outside edge, then you switch to the other skate and make another halfcircle with its outside edge. You keep the other skate up in the air behind you for balance.

You can do them skating forwards or backwards. You just go around the whole rink doing these half circles on the outside edge. I wish I could describe it better, but I can not do them! Just seen it done. Maybe someone else could elaborate. I would guess a few weeks of doing these drills and you will be a pro at the outside edge.

the drill biff44 explained is a very good one. i learned how to use my outside edge better at a Laura Stam Powerskating Clinic. there they had us do crossovers for a while (while going around one of the circles) and then when the coach blew the wistle,(you wouldnt need the wistle tho. u could do it whenever you were comfotable) you glide on your outside edge while continuing going around the circle. Make sure you keep your knees bent when you do it. this will take a while to get good at it but it will be worth the practice. there was a drill for strengthening your ankles but i cant remember what you do. hope this helps!!

First practice coasting on one foot.

Then when coasting on one foot turn inside. (This uses the inside edge so pretty easy.)

Now here comes the tough one, coast on one foot then turn to the outside -- which of course, uses the outside edge...yikes!

When you get really good coast on one foot turning in and out progress to 'S' shapes.

Good luck.

JJ

First practice coasting on one foot.

Then when coasting on one foot turn inside. (This uses the inside edge so pretty easy.)

Now here comes the tough one, coast on one foot then turn to the outside -- which of course, uses the outside edge...yikes!

When you get really good coast on one foot turning in and out progress to 'S' shapes.

Good luck.

JJ

We do those sort of things in practice every day. First we do c cuts with one foot doing the c cuts and the other just gliding all the way down the rink using our inside edge, then do it with the other skate on the way back. Then we work our outside edges with what biff said it's pretty tough at the beginning of the season but towards the end it's pretty easy, another thing to work on your outside edges is to do overspeed crossover around the circles. Make sure to really work out of your comfort zone.

Norm:

I don't know your skill / conditioning level or how long you have been skating or playing hockey, or the age at which you started, but here is a progression of drills that is even more basic than the ones above (may be too easy for you). As you progress your ankles should strengthen, too:

(i) The route: go side-boards to side-boards, from one of the outside defensive faceoff hashmarks to the other, touching the top of the goalie crease. This is a very gentle curve.

The technique: Keeping both skates on the ice, make c-cuts with the outside skate (the one closer to the goal line). In order to go along the route, you should be on a gentle outside edge on the other (inside) skate.

(ii) Once you can do this well to both sides, do the same technique going behind the net, then going around a faceoff circle.

(iii) Once you can do (ii), go back to the original very gentle curve, (i) above, get some speed with the c-cuts, then lift the outside skate off the ice, and see how long you can glide around the gentle curve on the inside skate's outside edge.

(iv) Same as (iii), but behind the net, then on a faceoff circle.

(v) Going straight sideways, step over with one foot. You shouldn't be going forwards at all. Just before you land on the foot that is stepping over, you will be on the outside edge of the other foot.

(vi) Same as (v), but moving at a snail's pace forwards.

(vii) Same as (vi), but moving at a moderate speed forwards.

Then, do the more advanced drills suggested by others previously. Some of those need years of prep!

There are edge drills that I have seen figure skaters do. You skate forward on one skate and make a halfcircle on the outside edge, then you switch to the other skate and make another halfcircle with its outside edge. You keep the other skate up in the air behind you for balance.

You can do them skating forwards or backwards. You just go around the whole rink doing these half circles on the outside edge. I wish I could describe it better, but I can not do them! Just seen it done. Maybe someone else could elaborate. I would guess a few weeks of doing these drills and you will be a pro at the outside edge.

We'll start with your right leg:

You push off with your left leg, having your right foot forward on an inside edge. You'll be heading to the left a bit (keeping your left foot in the air until I say otherwise)

then turn backwards on the one foot (get light on your skates)

You'll now be skating backwards and should be on your outside edge

pivot to the left and place your left foot on the ground stepping out

It should make a 3

inside edge c but is the bottom of the 3, outside edge c cut is top portion,

I was never the best skater but last summer i went to a powerskating camp and i found it did good working on my inside and outside edges aswell as my overall skating. i would suggest trying a power skating camp out.

I learned to trust my outside edges just by going around the faceoff circles.

To improve your right outside edge: Skate in a clockwise circle. Use short strokes with your left skate to propel yourself. As you build some speed, gradually begin to lean into the circle and start using your right outside edge to steer yourself.

Initially, you'll use short strokes with your left skate, and keep it close to the ground for balance. As your confidence and feel improve, you'll get to where you can balance on the right outside edge and take longer strokes with your left skate. A little longer, and your balance will be good enough for you to bring the left skate in front of and over the right one. At this point, you'll naturally start to get some push off of your right skate's outside edge..

Reverse the process to get the same feel for your left outside edge..

Thanks all for some great drills. I'll try to print them out or remember them for the next time I'm out. I think I may have had an "epiphany" though this past Thursday at hockey class. It seems part of it was not really committing to the turn.

As the crossing leg was coming over my legs would straighten and, worst of all, my upper body would twist to the outside of the turn trying to counter balance. My teacher "fixed" me by having me skate a face off circle, while he was directly across from me and kept yelling "Look at me, look at me!" That forced me to keep my head up, my eyes on where I was going, and my shoulders/upper body "in" the turn as I chased him around the circle. He also didn't have me try it slow first which was a big help. Right over left actually got fun towards the left. Left over right? Well.... maybe next class. ;)

Like Endboard says.

If you know a C cut then basically start skating around a face off circle.

Bend the inside knee. C cut with the outside knee. As you go faster, you will not be able to help but to start to work towards your outside edge. This is a great prelude to cross overs as the next step is to just step over. I have kids doing this when they can't yet cross over. This is also helpfull when learning backwards cross overs too.

Laura Stam DVD has drills on it for balance and control. Worth the $35 bucks. Most all can be done at a not so crowded public session.