Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

In season Training

I will be practicing on Ice about 16 hours a week this season + about 2 or 3 games a week. But I also want to train off ice. I don't know exactly what should I do? I think I should do some Plyo and weight lifting and maybe some sprints. I don't know if I should go with high reps. or low reps. when I will do weightlifting.

I wanna heard your thoughts on that.

Choose a weight that will allow you to do one set of each exercise to exhaustion at around 9 to 12 reps. Go immediately to the next exercise.

You will see results and you won't be in the gym for two hours.

Don't wear your self out. It's key if you want top performance. Don't over work yourself to the point where you can give it everything. Also, lots of fluids. I know this doesn't answer your questions, just trying to help you out.

You can try the one legged squats where you hold your one foot with the same hand and use the other hand to hold onto something for stability and just go down and up. It is hard for out a shape guys like me but for you it may be easier. It's something that Peter Bondra says he does when he was younger.

Another excercise from a NFL great Walter Payton(A legend of a running back) is run up the mountains. You get more explosiveness by training hard going up the hills.

Any opinions on these examples I have shown?

Off-ice workouts during the season should be about maintaining and not building. You don't want to be hitting the ice with tired or sore muscles as that will inhibit your performance and could even lead to injuries.

You can try the one legged squats where you hold your one foot with the same hand and use the other hand to hold onto something for stability and just go down and up. It is hard for out a shape guys like me but for you it may be easier. It's something that Peter Bondra says he does when he was younger.

Another excercise from a NFL great Walter Payton(A legend of a running back) is run up the mountains. You get more explosiveness by training hard going up the hills.

Any opinions on these examples I have shown?

Obviously not everyone has mountains around the corner, ;) so you can run the stairs too.

The simple fact of the matter is, skating will not keep that muscle mass up throughout the whole season. You do not have to go at it like offseason, but deadlifts, squats, olympic lifts pull ups, dips, rowing--all are good at least once a week to keep the body tweaked. Just don't work out heavy within 2 days of a big game!

Especially if you have an intense season, I would seldom go heavy, and almost never max out, which creates a defecit that is hard to make up for while balancing games and practices.

You do not have to lift every time you are in the gym. 3 times per week may be too much! It is the heavy lifting that mucks up your muscles and screws up your hockey performance for the next 2 days. Olympic lifting is more about speed and brain/muscle training, so it should be easier for recovery. Plyometrics can be done the day before a game. Some even do light plyo as a warm up on game day. NHL pros often will exercycle, especially after a tough game, to help their muscles recover. One thing you can do is really watch the body and work on those areas that have weaknesses. For instance, Hockey players, in general, have very weak backs because they do not use them much while skating. So you can do a lot of seated rows, for instance, that would build up that area and it would probably not hurt your game as much as heavy squats would. Maybe you find that you have to work on your forearms to get a better snap shot, etc.

During the season, it is pretty much about maintaining what you built up during the summer. So watch what is happening and tailor the work out to that.

I would watch the body weight. If your hockey is so intense that you are losing body weight/muscle mass, then go to a heavier diet and lift more. If the muscle mass is kind of hanging in there, maybe once a week is all you need to maintain it.

I workout twice a week with 1-2 excercises for every major muscle group, and two sets for each excercise. Doesn't have to be hard, but you just should try and make sure you have enough energy. Take glutamine too. I find it gives me more energy, and helps keep my muscles from breaking down even if I get sick and can't lift for over a week.

what our team does is skate 3-5, then run a mile, then hit the gym, light weights and 10-12 reps for every exercise. the program is split up for forwards/defence, but on one day you may have squats and bench press, but yout going for 10-12. not 3-5 so heavy aint necessary.

and you dont need plyos durign the season, if you did them all summer, they will be good all season. i used to do heavy plyos for 3 yrs, i plateaud from them cuz i went way too hard, but they stuck with me for a while.