Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nazzy19

what does it take to be a good hockey equip Rep?

Hey there

I was looking into possibly applying to be a gear rep but before I do so, I just wanted to know what I would be getting myself into and if I am the right type for the job. So what i wanted to know was what makes a good rep, and what does their job entail? What kind of experiance do they usually look for?

Thanks!

just love the game, know your stuff better than anybody, be honest, and be prepared to spend a few years building relationships, because thats really what its all about- earning trust from buyers.

cheers

gb

From what I've gathered talking to other companies at the tradeshows, I'd say the average commission paid to reps is 10% of the sale AFTER the invoice has been paid. If you are new, you probably would have a tough time being hired by one of the larger companies, so your sales won't be as common or as large when with the Salmings of the world. Consequently, many reps carry a number of lines; it increases the likelihood that a retailer would say 'Yes, you may come visit me." At that point, you can show the other products in your line.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
From what I've gathered talking to other companies at the tradeshows, I'd say the average commission paid to reps is 10% of the sale AFTER the invoice has been paid. If you are new, you probably would have a tough time being hired by one of the larger companies, so your sales won't be as common or as large when with the Salmings of the world. Consequently, many reps carry a number of lines; it increases the likelihood that a retailer would say 'Yes, you may come visit me." At that point, you can show the other products in your line.

Try 7%, but, the rest you speak of is right on the mark.

just love the game, know your stuff better than anybody, be honest, and be prepared to spend a few years building relationships, because thats really what its all about- earning trust from buyers.

cheers

gb

You forgot one thing...a bit of luck.

I have all of the above. No luck though.

After 25 years in this business, I still would not want to be a rep. I have seen way too many guys get the rug pulled out from under them with a company once they have done all the work. It is a job that looks easy and fun but is really a lot of hard work. Marcelo and Jason, you forgot to mention the best part of being a rep: buying your own samples and then dumping them at the end of the selling season at the local PIAS! This part of the job is even more fun when you have a goalie line to sell! Talk about spending money to earn money, buying your own samples has been around forever. How about the price of gas these days when you are on the road in a rather large territory? There is a new expense that just went up 100%. OUCH!

The main ingredient is having the right contacts to get your foot in the door. I would suggest starting in retail sales in a pro shop or LHS. You want to be sure you like dealing with customers! Then you have to realize the difference between retail sales and being a rep: When you sell at retail in your LHS, customers come to you ready to buy because they need skates, etc. Half the sale is done because the customer knows he needs your product. As a rep, the sale is twice is hard: You have to convince the buyer he needs your product in his shop. JR & Chadd, I'm sure you have heard as many BS lines as I have about Joe All-Star wearing this skate and then never seeing it happen. So as the rep your credibility is out there with every sale.

And finally, as stated before, the rep only gets that % commission on INVOICED product. Any rep can write a billion $ in booking, but if the company doesn't ship the product, the rep's commission is 100% of zero. And he has already paid for the samples and spent the $ on gas and expenses(hotel shows of new product lines).

No matter what, retail or rep, make sure you like what you're doing and be ready to work!

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
After 25 years in this business, I still would not want to be a rep. I have seen way too many guys get the rug pulled out from under them with a company once they have done all the work. It is a job that looks easy and fun but is really a lot of hard work. Marcelo and Jason, you forgot to mention the best part of being a rep: buying your own samples and then dumping them at the end of the selling season at the local PIAS! This part of the job is even more fun when you have a goalie line to sell! Talk about spending money to earn money, buying your own samples has been around forever. How about the price of gas these days when you are on the road in a rather large territory? There is a new expense that just went up 100%. OUCH!

The main ingredient is having the right contacts to get your foot in the door. I would suggest starting in retail sales in a pro shop or LHS. You want to be sure you like dealing with customers! Then you have to realize the difference between retail sales and being a rep: When you sell at retail in your LHS, customers come to you ready to buy because they need skates, etc. Half the sale is done because the customer knows he needs your product. As a rep, the sale is twice is hard: You have to convince the buyer he needs your product in his shop. JR & Chadd, I'm sure you have heard as many BS lines as I have about Joe All-Star wearing this skate and then never seeing it happen. So as the rep your credibility is out there with every sale.

And finally, as stated before, the rep only gets that % commission on INVOICED product. Any rep can write a billion $ in booking, but if the company doesn't ship the product, the rep's commission is 100% of zero. And he has already paid for the samples and spent the $ on gas and expenses(hotel shows of new product lines).

No matter what, retail or rep, make sure you like what you're doing and be ready to work!

Very true with your comments, with the exception of one thing...

For me, I have different arrangements with all of the companies that I rep for. With the exception of one company, I get free samples. There is only one company that I have to "buy" samples from and they give me the option to return them, even used, when I am finished with them.

I no longer pay for samples DarkStar50! LOL To me, it is the company providing me with the tools to sell their products. I dropped a line in July because they wanted me to not only pay for samples, but, the commission structure was ass backwards. The more I sold, the LESS I made! Ever hear of something like that?

Anyhow, I am off to sleep. Nice NHL roadie this week...let's see...

Leave the house at 430am to fly to San Jose at 630am.

Monday = Sharks

Tuesday = Coyotes

Wednesday = Stars

Thursday = Avs

Friday = LA (8am); ANA (10am)

How's that for some travel?!?!?! 3000 miles in 4 days! Have a great week all!

So pretty much its a full time job? not something to do on the side?

Yes, it would be a full-time job. You would also have to work nights, stay in hotels overnight, and drive your car a lot of miles around the territory. You would also have to work week-ends when you are at a rink running a tournament and showing your product in the shop to help drive sales of your line. You would learn where every McDonald's is in your territory, also Dunkin Donuts or Tim Horton's. You do like coffee? Caffiene will be your drug of choice. Hey, this rep job, sounds like fun!!

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
Yes, it would be a full-time job. You would also have to work nights, stay in hotels overnight, and drive your car a lot of miles around the territory. You would also have to work week-ends when you are at a rink running a tournament and showing your product in the shop to help drive sales of your line. You would learn where every McDonald's is in your territory, also Dunkin Donuts or Tim Horton's. You do like coffee? Caffiene will be your drug of choice. Hey, this rep job, sounds like fun!!

So dead on!

I currently work in a retail store and have always dreamed of a sales rep position. Ive talked to all of the reps about the job and they have said exactly what was stated above about the job. EVEN with all of these factors being ture, I STILL WOULD LOVE TO BE A REP. Here is the one question that no rep has been able to answer for me. How do you go about getting a position as a sales rep for a hockey company?????? Everyone always says a litle bit of luck, right time right place, "I was selling beanie babies to toys R us when a buddy at easton told me about a position and referenced me", etc etc etc. It seems as if there is no direct path to becoming a sales rep for a hockey company. All of you sales reps on the board, PLEASE, help a fellow modsquader out!!!! Is there a direct career path to becoming a sales rep or is it truly just about luck. If there is no direct path then what is the most likely way to land a job and what type of experience and tools would one need to possess in order to get one of these positions. When and where do the companies post these open positions. Also, how much does the average rrep take home per year?? How about working in the front office of a company, marketing department, design team (justin??), anywhere in the company other than customer service or a warehouse position (I figure I would have to move in order to work for a Hockey company and neither of those 2 positions would be worh it to me to move for). Some insight into this career path would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It would be hard to estimate how much a rep earns, as there are many factors involved.

How established is the brand?

How many stores are in your territory?

How long have you been working the territory?

What is the state of the economy?

How motivated are you?

Let's just make up some numbers to get an idea. I had suggested 10% commission on each sale, while Marcelo said 7%. That leads me to believe the larger companies assume you'll be having larger sales, so their percentage is smaller; conversely, newer companies realize you won't sell as many sticks/gloves, so they attempt to compensate better. Let's use 8.5%.

Bear in mind, you are only paid after the company is paid, since the possibility exists that the order could be cancelled. This lag time is important to know, however, because many of the sales occur around January but ship around July, which means you actually wouldn't be paid until August.

So, let's say you sell $5K to one store. Multiply by 8.5% and you would receive $425 as commission for that store. If you had five stores a month with that volume, you'd make $2125 per month; ten stores and you's make $4250 per month.

However, it's most likely that a large percentage of your sales will come earlier in the year, with smaller follow up sales later. For that reason, many reps try to sell more than one line, because the different lines might have different sales cycles. Some products -- like tape or laces -- will sell monthly, while equipment tends to be updated each year and sold to the stores at the beginning of the year.

Again, territory has a lot to do with it. More stores in a close drive increase your opportunities. What area are you from?

Im in Columbus Ohio so I would fall into a midwest category or to sum it up nicely, MIchigan (mainly) and any bordering states. Ive been interested in a sales rep job for quite some time and have yet to be able to "get my foot in the door" so any help as to getting a job within the company would be greatly appreciated. I just need to know how to get the career started, what steps to take, job experience needed, education, etc etc etc. Anything would help. Thanks guys.

go to college and take sales classes, maybe even major in sales if they offer that program. work retail, deal with customers daily. hockey shops work better if you want to be in the hockey field. get to know the reps in the area. offer to help them as a grunt, doing some of the weekend promo's, helping with paperwork, learn the lines, and not just the major brands. this job is mostly on luck... their arent that many positions available. ask jr about that, he has already mentioned his situation.

as for gettin into the biz, you probably wont get hired out of the blue as a hockey rep. you usually have to start with an estabolished rep, and be a sub-rep for that person/group. work your way up through the ranks, get known (on a positive basis) by the customer and companies. then eventually you will start getting the calls.

as for pay... get used to not having a clue how much money you will make per month or per year. straight commissions, pay your own expenses (all of them), and pay your taxes quarterly. as for how much... i wouldnt really look at salming's model. the problem is that the "big" companies pay even less then 7%. 7 is pretty much the industry standard. but then you work with big customer, and then your comm rate goes down again. some of the small companies with inexpensive products may go up to 10%, but don't plan on paying much more then your gas bill with the comms from that line, but the are VERY important to have. i would look at more like 5% as what you would actually gross in your income, especially if you are working as a sub rep... you will be paying a portion of your comms to the agency... part of the dues you have to pay to get into this industry. my biggest words of advise, don't rely on the hockey industry to make you a great living... not in the current state of the hockey industry... and not unless you have a very big line. let the hockey part be the icing on the cake, and expand into other industries as well, withing sporting goods.

good luck.