Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetblazer

Fighting #2

Hey,

Im just wondering if anyone else has any tips on fighting. I know the basics like grap the jersey with your weak hand throw with your good, and try and pull ur head away as he punches so your kind of absorbing the punch. Any other good tips, maybe little tricks to get the helmet off (wearing cages) basically we usually just pull from the back or they just pop off anyways cause how ridiculously loose they are.

Anyways, lets try not and turn this into "how to cheap shot someone" or "lets drop em' over the internet!" topic and just stick to tips.

Thanks

I'm going to be honest with you right now: I don't get into many fights. As a smaller guy, I make teams and will get noticed by others based on how well I move the puck and create. While I love throwing my (lack of) weight around when I can, I leave it up to the bigger guys to get things going with a good, quick scuffle.

With that said, I can tell you that I have found myself in the position where I thought it was necessary to fight a couple times, and only once did the helmets and gloves come off...I'd be lying if I told you I kicked the other guy's ass, but I can say that I held my own and landed a few pretty good shots before things got broken-up.

First thing: Keep your feet set. If you get yourself onto one foot or off balance off, it's only going to take a decent punch or a quick push to put you on your back, which, in a fight, is obviously a position you don't want to be in.

Second: Don't let him stand still and pick a spot. After a bit of dancing around, odds are you're going to find yourself tied-up with the other guy. If you stop moving at this point, it's going to be pretty easy for him to tag you. Once you're tied up, you need to tug at his jersey or shove him around a little bit just so he can't set himself up the way he might want. If you're lucky, something will open up for you, and you might get a good swat in there.

Third: Get rid of his good hand early. Usually, you can get a good read as to which hand he's looking to hit you with. So grab at that arm or that shoulder and don't let him move it around, even if you're going to be using your good hand to grab with. 'Tis better to get in a fight with your off-hand throwing than to get drilled by a nice cross or uppercut from the other guy's strong hand.

Fourth: Be classy about it, please. There is nothing I hate more than seeing a guy throw a cheap shot or act like an ass after the fight. Try to be semi-business like about it. I swear, I'm convinced there's more spine in a jellyfish than some of the guys I've seen at the rink.

When it comes to fighting with cages, my best advice is as you said grab from the back and rip downwards. Another method is to grab the cage and pull down it a quick jerk motion while trying to twist the cage... be careful with this one as some refs will call game/match penaltys for grabbing the faskmask (although in my experience I've usually just gotten the fighting major).

A lil tip I learned from Jon Mirasty was to try and throw jabs with the hand that is hanging onto the jersey to draw your opponets head away from you... then ducking under his arm thats hanging on to your jersey and poping out on the other side will give you a very quick open shot and in most cases will allow you to take advantage of the fight. Be careful with this one as well, if the guy is expereince in the art of the punch in the face contest, he may be able to block your duckunder and will probably throw a pretty heavy uppercut.

Good luck... and always keep your composure.

If you have good balance, grab the other guys punching arm with your weak one and just pull down(or whatever way you want, up isn't always a good idea though). I try to know who I'm fighting, I mostly fight in roller as I don't take it that serious.

:) ok, here we go:

one good trick if you guys have cages on, dont throw punches or drop your gloves really until you get his helmet off, if noticed that sometimes is easier with gloves on and it should prevent any unwanted extra penalty you might get for dropping your gloves incase you both fall or the linesmen get in there real quik. if you want to drop your gloves, go for the back of the helmet, near where the cage buttons, also the ear loops are a good place to pull. ive watched someone get nearly KO'ed. my teammate was hit from behind, he got up, dropped his left glove, grabbed the guys ear loop and repeatedly hit him under his chin/cage area with a gloved right hand, it was wild. ummm if you can do it ask the guy to take his own helmet off before you dance, i know in the western jr b league here (i played a few games there) that its a automatic suspension if you take your own helmet off (ncaa rules, i think) so the heavys would come real close, take each others helmets off, then back up and square off. well any who, by asking the other guy to take em off has an intimidation factor to it, like he may think, hmm this kid knows whats up. also if you rely on one arm, sliding that elbow pad off may be a good option, also looks like you know what youre doing. becareful, i had some bulky jofas so i always used to take em off, until i fell hehe. umm also in some leagues its an extra two. as far as technique, keep your knees bent and feet apart.

here is what i was taught by a boxing instructor and coaches. lets say youre squared up and he is a righty, take your left hand and grab his jersey near the left collar/shoulder area and grab tight. by doing this youve created a shield now you can ward him off and alternate throwing rights over and under your sheild arm. if youre feeling really frisky take that left hand and grab jersey near his left arm pit, arm area and just jerk him into a big right hand.

umm thats about all i can think off, oh and there comes a certain point where everyone has a "role" to play, if you keep losing fights, work on skating, passing, shooting, there will always be a surplus of meatheads

I normally grab on to their collar with my left and pull them backwards and forwards with this hand, hoping to connect a few times with the fist as i'm pulling them, then they dont have time to set themselves so I can pick when to throw the rights.

When I fight somebody bigger than me I try to get in close and fight as obviously fighting at arms length isnt going to work!

What i do is i grab their sholder cap or there jersey in that area on there strong hand side and i just starts hitting them. If you start with an upper cut to move their cage up and than you punch ther cage into their face it well really hurt them bad. I did this indirectly in one of my fights and the kid got some cuts on his chin/mouth area and he had 2 leave the game.

This guy had a novel idea:

http://www.davidditch.com/mutineers/L_IMG_2695.jpg

He basically cross checked the guy to the ice and stayed on him.

The ref broke it up and the guy on the bottom retaliated with a stick. Guy in red got a game misconduct and a game suspension. Guy on top only got called for crosschecking and roughing. Go figure. Guy on top was not suspended because he never touched the guy with his glove.

There r two ways of doing this, if it spontanious then jst start throwing with gloves until his lid comes off then drop em and hell be all over the place so just pound him until hes down. Then stop, show some courtesy.

Or if its mutual and u both want to go drop the mits get in close take his lidd off and then throw upper cuts and over jabs to get him off balance then pull away and start throwing haymakers.

If hes smaller than you then grab the coller, stand at arms length and land bombs until he drops. This has been known to put guys in hospital for up to 4 days :ph34r:

You can tell some guys have never been in a real hockey fight. Just throwing punches and uppercuts will likely put you off balance and leave you open to catching a nightender if the guy knows what he's doing.

Keep your knees bent slightly. When you grab for the other guy's jersey, make sure you aren't lunging in wildly and keep your other hand in front of your face. Make sure in front of your face is in front of your face from their point of view, and not yours, which would put your hand to the side of your face from their eyes. Important thing - protect your jaw - meaning tilt your face slightly downward and keep your mouth shut. Most knockout punches are direct blows to the jaw, which drives force straight back to your brain. If the other guy comes with an early barrage, tuck your head down a little and let some of those punches connect with the top of your head and forehead, where they'll do the least damage.

If you grab close enough to the neckline on his jersey, you can use a few quick jabs with your grab hand to back the guy off a little bit. Then it all comes down to what kind of fighter you are/are built to be. Some guys are jackhammers once they get an opening, some wait until the other guy is a bit tired, and some guys hold on and wait for a homerun punch. Some guys grab with both hands early and tug the opponent to get him off balance before letting go to punch. It all depends on your size, height and strength compared to your opponent's.

Seriously though, save your time and work on other parts of your game. Learn to hold your own and not get killed in a fight and then play hockey. Too many kids spend so much time trying to be tough guys in HS and Midgets and don't realize that you have to GOOD ENOUGH to make a junior team before you're even allowed to fight. It's tough to be a good fighter and doesn't get any easier when you become one.

I'm not going to add much to this, but I will point out one thing where you are wrong in your original post. I'm actually surprised no one mentioned this yet. It is wrong to move your head out with his punch to "cushion" the blow. All you are actually doing is letting him hit you with the full momentum of the punch if it is landed (remember you have more momentum with a slapper that a wrister because of the full range of motion.) Ask any boxer, soldier, etc that has been trained in hand to hand/close combat and you will hear the same thing. If you are going to get hit and cant avoid it by moving to the side or ducking, move into the punch since it sill not have full momentum. Also if you are inclose, dont be afraid to use an elbow, especially the one holding the jersey. It is a very quick, hard hitting blow that also saves your hands (another thing they teach you in the military). Some of this may seem bizarre at first, but if you actually think about it; it will make sense.

If both guys arent willing to take off their gloves and helmets, dont even waste your time, as it just makes both of you look like idiots, and it isnt worth getting the type of penalty you will for fighting (Especially in youth hockey) when you are slapping each other with helmets on.

I used to fight a lot in Jr's, you drop the lids, square up and i always slid my elbows down to the forearms ( if they grab your sleeve, it is real easy to slip out and catch em off gaurd like this, plus gives them a little extra on the follow through)

Dont grab just the jersey, try to grab the shoulders at the collar bone area, and try to hold them out. I have found that the guy who is throwing crazy blows as hard as he can will miss more often than not. Try to be semi accurate, and aim for the top of the nose, right between the eyes. Doesnt even have to be hard, but if you catch them there, the eyes will instantly water and temporarily blind them so you can finish them right there most of the time. (One time I went with someone at a tryout that was much bigger than me, coach told him he needed to fight me or else he was cut but honestly I was expecting him to do this in the game, when I was picking my spare, he grabbed the helmet off me, got the jersey over me, but was throwing shots so hard he landed nothing, I got the jersey off, popped up and got him once between the eyes on a weak shot, second went lower on the nose and it blew up on him. he was gushing, i didnt have a scratch.

Also, try to take as many shots on the top of the head, especially if you know the guy is getting the better of you. my last fight I was getting tuned, and was out of my league with this guy, I took a few to the cheek and didnt want any more of that, so I dropped the head and took another dozen on the top. Left me with a few good bumps and a 1/2 dozen staples, but It honestly didnt hurt at all (Until I tried to put my helmet on, and got the staple gun to the scalp) and the guy left with 2 broken knuckles and a fractured wrist in the hand he was feeding me with. Trust me, your head is HARD.

One last thing is that there is nothing wrong with a good fight with someone. You dont have to even win all the time, and you would be amazed how much respect you will gain from opponents and teamates (Trust me, lanes that shouldnt be there in a game will open up..) and what chances you will get in hockey if you show you have some balls and hold in there with a bigger guy. I know guys who are hard workers, but average hockey players at best, never played anything but Jr. B, but got a chance and they never turned down a fight, coaches like the balls they have and they are playing pro hockey, so this can be a good way to get to levels skill wont take you.

But please, if you are going to fight, take off the helmet...

umm. use both hands, most people only expect haymakers but if you can get loose and let both hands go it will make it harder for him.

I would say try to catch him cold in the beginning when hes not ready, he's likely to lose balance and fall or if your lucky get ko'd.

throw body shots. nobody does this and he'll probly drop his hands after a few then you can get him with punches to the head.