Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jordan6969

Work Out

I was just wondering if you guys think that the order you do excercises in matters? I'm not really sure of what order I should do things in cause I just started working out a month ago. I also got another question, when you guys do you bench do you do it first, in the middle, or lastly in your workout?

You want to work from your largest muscles to your smallest. The theory is you have a finite amount of energy when you walk into the gym and larger muscle groups fatigue your body more than smaller muscles. The one exception to this is your abdominal muscles, since they are core muscles and if you tire them you will not have as much strength to perform certain movements.

In general, you would want to work out your legs first: glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves. Then go to your upper body: back, chest, shoulder, tri's, bi's, adominal, lower back.

Some of these are interchangeable: bi's/tri's, lower back/abdominal. But the premise is to tire your body progressively.

Pick a weight at which you can perform 9-12 reps until you reach exhaustion, but make sure you go to exhaustion, not two reps shy. Also, make sure you choose a weight you can lift in a controlled fashion. You're going for quality not quantity. You want to make sure you are lifting the weight, not throwing it.

The best way to tell whether you are throwing the weight is estimate your typical speed on a curl. Now replicate that speed with a 2.5 pound weight but DON"T hold onto the weight. If the weight leaves your hand, you're throwing the weight. (Even if it doesn't leave your hand, you could be bordering on throwing the weight.) So what's wrong with throwing the weight? For one, you risk injury if the weight is too heavy. More importantly, you're shortcutting your results, because momentum is doing much of the work for you, rather than your muscles.

One thing that I do is work my wrists a little bit first, 2 sets instead of 3(12 rep). At the beginning, because your wrists are not quite exausted but are not quite 100% they get a little bit of a workout in each of you excersizes. I do this because I find forearms and wrists hard to work because they are an endurence muscle. At the end of the workout do another 3 sets and kill your wrists and forearms.

Sniper94

Actually Salming, throwing the weight, if done right, will help you for sports performance. If you can control teh weight, plyometrics will help your speed and strength much without putting on a lot of mass.

This is how I did it threw the summer. I would do upper body one day and lower body the next and on and on. Explosive exercises should be done first (jammer press, ect.) and after that i dont think it really matters.

Actually Salming, throwing the weight, if done right, will help you for sports performance. If you can control teh weight, plyometrics will help your speed and strength much without putting on a lot of mass.

There are some trainers who espouse that.

Then there are others who say exercise is exercise, whereas playing your sport improves your strength and conditioning for that sport.

I did high speed reps for about a year when I first started exercising at 17, because that was what I was taught. When I switched over to exercising to failure at controlled speed, I quickly gained more strength and, as a result, more sprinting speed. Truthfully, I didn't put on any mass until I turned 27, which is why I've written before that your body will grow when it's programmed to grow.

Again, there are safety risks with throwing the weight, particularly since most people who throw the weights are using 20%-30% heavier weights than they actually have the strength for.

you can do all the plyos you want, but aside from quick legs, you need a powerful core and a good upper body to survive out there.

unless of course you are a speciman like afineganov, who never touches aweight but does circuits every workout, and never gets tired. a real animal