Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kovy_Ribs_Fedo

Another In season Training topic

Here is my schedule :

Monday :

10 - 12 AM : On-ice practice

18:30 - 20 PM : On-ice pratice

Tuesday :

19:00 PM : Regular Season game

Wednesday :

19:30 - 21 PM : On-ice pratice

Thursday :

10 AM - 14 PM : On-ice practice

Friday :

10 AM - 14 PM : On-ice practice

Saturday :

19:00 PM : Regular Season game

Sunday :

22 - 24 PM : On-ice practice

I'm looking to go to the gym about 3x times a week. Right now, I'm doing some strenght maintenance and a bit of plyo but I want a do something to improve a bit my power and my strenght and not just maintenance.

What do you guys suggest me, cardio/plyo/strenght/olympic lifting? And what kind of exercises? If someone want to help me to create a program, I will really appreciate it...Also, I don't want something that will kill me, just a solid workout.

You can not work out in the gym very hard or you will either:

1) have no energy for playing the games

or

2) get injured easily

The time for gym work is the spring/summer.

As I said last week, work on flexibility, muscles that do not get a good workout while skating (back,shoulders), and light plyo. Maybe some bodyweight lower body, like single leg squats, balance board stuff.

In short, anything that does not beat the heck out of a major muscle group and then expect if to somehow heal when you are on the ice 3 hours a day!

overtraining is a very common subject in this. i recommend actaully not working out at all. we just had a presentation here, overworking ur body is just as bad as playing a game and then boozing, you need to give your body time to recover.

p.s. you really don't have to do plyos, what you did this summer will stay with you all winter

You still need to do some working out, just be smart about it. We have a somewhat similar schedule to yours, but our later practice is at 2:35 PM, a lot earier than yours. After that we workout for about an hour. We don't do anywhere near our max, but still we get the reps and exercises in.

Any time you have to put the word "Another" in a thread topic means there is no reason NOT to put your post in the thread that already exists.

Accidentally skipped the word that I have written in caps the first time around on this post.

Any time you have to put the word "Another" in a thread topic means there is no reason to put your post in the thread that already exists.

Yeah, I want a kinda personal training for hockey not a regular training that they do give at the gym if you ever went to one.

Again, why couldn't the purpose of this thread have been posted in the other thread about in season training, or, in one of the multitude of threads on workout routines?

Perhaps the title of this thread should be "Look at me, look at what I do."

"overworking ur body is just as bad as playing a game and then boozing, you need to give your body time to recover"

What's wrong with that? :P Beer has all the proteins and carbs my body needs to recover!

overtraining is a very common subject in this. i recommend actaully not working out at all. we just had a presentation here, overworking ur body is just as bad as playing a game and then boozing, you need to give your body time to recover.

p.s. you really don't have to do plyos, what you did this summer will stay with you all winter

Yeah you are not the first one who has told me this. I think I won't do much weight lifting, maybe like set ups and push ups, some body weight exercices, would this be good?

yup, for example guy liek afineganov, never touches a weight, jsut does body weight circuits, and never gets tired btw. he can skate for 60 mins but comes off because he has too. i know this for a fact 100%

I honestly think a short workout twice a week would be good. Maybe something like this:

Lat Pulldown - 2 sets 10

Weighted Push Up/Bench/Incline bench 2 sets 10

Row - 2 sets 10

Squat - 2 sets 8

Overhead press 2 sets 10

Deadlift - 2 sets 6

Roughly two excercises per muscle group, covering all the main bases. Add in any ab/core stuff you wish to do, and do it twice a week. I did something like it last year and it worked well.

yup, for example guy liek afineganov, never touches a weight, jsut does body weight circuits, and never gets tired btw. he can skate for 60 mins but comes off because he has too. i know this for a fact 100%

Wow, I can't believe it...Have sou seen him practice

The best time to workout in season is right after you get off the ice. Your body is already worn down and the recovery is a lot easier. I've been the Oilers dressing room many times after games and those guys are pumping iron and riding the bike harder than you can imagine.h

I haven't heard of players lifting after games, at least not often, but it does make sense. I always thought the Bikes were to get rid of the lactic acid in the muscles.

The bikes were definitely the hotter item, but back in the day guys like Jason Arnott would be squating and benching like mad.

I'd suggest some "bang for your buck" type lifts that work the whole body.

Stuff like Power Clean-Push Press complexes, kettlebell work, and deadlifts are some stuff that can help keep you in tip top shape throughout the season without overdoing it. Another good maintanance tool is a sled. That is a great GPP tool that can help maintain gains without adding a lot of wear and tear on the body.

And you can not expect to keep all the gains made in the offseason to last the entire season without doing some sort of weight training.

You will have to put in some weight room time if you want to at least maintain the gains that were made in the offseason.

Jim Bob, excellent points--Nothing like some Olympic lifting to increase explosiveness. And as they are more speed/technique than brute force weight, one should recover quickly.

And nothing builds up the core like some single kettlebell routines. Thowing the iron around like that really works the whole body.