Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtlantaThrashers01

Broken Sticks

Rbk/CCM sticks are sent back to the company,Easton sticks will end up in the team store or trash can,same with TPS ...this is what I have seen

Easton sticks will end up in the team store or trash can,same with TPS

My friends dad who works at the arena always picks up all kinds of prostock synergy and response shafts for me. Its great :D

i was going to ask the same thing..but what about RETAIL shop...what do you usually do with broken stick??

Because,like 1 year ago, i found 2 vector v-110 shaft in the garbage(it was garbage's day) i pick up one that was around 45 inch for cosom hockey

But what thye do with them...do they send it back to compagnie or keep them...if they do keep it...i would love to work at the shop and keep these stick for me lol!

I think it depends. I have heard stories of shops just telling their wholesaler/distributor for a certain brand like every other month how many of their stick have been broken during the warranty period + giving them copies of receipts and they will restock that amout for free. I have seen one shop do this with CCM sticks....they took them back from the customer and sold them as used shafts or added a blade put them up for rent during free ice session. I have heard other stories where each and every piece of the broke stuff has to be sent back and be evaluated before a possible replacement (can you say EASTON ?) I had a Z-Bubble break 2 days after purchase and brought it back to the shop. They said they wouldn´t replace unless I would send it to the distributor myself cause they would´t pay the postage (needless to say that was about the last time I bout anything other than tape or laces from them). At least that´s what it´s like in Germany. Don´t think it´s much different over there.

Luckily the distributor was located near the place where my dad used to work. He took it there and even they said they would have to send it back to Canada before giving a replacement. My dad insited though because he has knowlede of composite materials at all cause it´s part of his job and he annoyed them with specific stuff which convinced them to eventually replace it without forther wait. :P

They said they wouldn´t replace unless I would send it to the distributor myself cause they would´t pay the postage

That shop would have had to pay shipping to get the original stick in stock, ship it back to the manufacturer and in some cases pay to ship the replacement. Considering the profit margins on a stick, they might break even or even lose money on the entire transaction.

They said they wouldn´t replace unless I would send it to the distributor myself cause they would´t pay the postage

That shop would have had to pay shipping to get the original stick in stock, ship it back to the manufacturer and in some cases pay to ship the replacement. Considering the profit margins on a stick, they might break even or even lose money on the entire transaction.

I see your point of viewy Chadd. My problem was, though that they in fact had the shaft in stock and still wouldn´t replace it. They were the ones inserting the blade as well so no way they could blame on that part. The distributor was a mere 50 miles away so postage wouldn´t have been that much as well as they get almost weekly shipments from them. That´s something you don´t expect from a shop that you have regularly visited for about 10 years.

I see your point of viewy Chadd. My problem was, though that they in fact had the shaft in stock and still wouldn´t replace it. They were the ones inserting the blade as well so no way they could blame on that part. The distributor was a mere 50 miles away so postage wouldn´t have been that much as well as they get almost weekly shipments from them. That´s something you don´t expect from a shop that you have regularly visited for about 10 years.

I've changed my tune over time.

Originally, I thought I'd be user-friendly and allow the customer to return the stick to the retailer. However, I had retailers tell me they didn't like being put in the position of a customer 'No' when the word around the rink is Johnny smacked it over the boards out of frustration. They said they'd rather have the onus on the manufacturer.

A great example of why that was a good idea occurred months later. One of my retailers overlooked the email I had sent out with the new policy, so he sent me an email saying I needed to replace five sticks. At that time, our breakage rate had been about 2% - 2.5% during the 30-Day warranty, while he was reporting five out of thirteen (38%). I also know that one of the sticks broke in the shaft duing a collision. That's bad luck, but that's not a defect of manufacturing.

I'm quite confident that they were being too liberal in giving new sticks. Again, it's manufacturing defects that are being covered. Take a shot and the blade falls off --that's a manufacturing defect. Get it caught in the boards -- that's bad luck. However, it's difficult at times for a retailer to tell a regular customer 'No', because they are worried about hurting the relationship.

A manufacturer is just as concerned about ruining relationships. However, if they know they built the product according to specs, then sometimes they have to stand firm.

The problem we have as a retailer is, that when a customer buys a $150+ stick and it gets cuaght in the boards and breaks, they view that as a defect. The customer is not well educated, despite our best efforts, and if we tell them that its not defective, and that they are wrong, you can bet that they wont buy a stick from us again. In this case its shit rolling up hill. As a retailer, I'd rather have the manufacuter deal with the shit from the customer than me.

In Hershey some of the broken sticks, old gloves, helmets, pratice jerseys, etc, are raffeled off during games. I won a Steve Brule broken synergy at the blade. I should turn it into a shaft but I never did.

The AHL teams I am familiar with, keep the sticks and sell in a store.... the broken in two sticks they save for Manufacturer...nothing gets tossed