Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cforce

Wingers ... what to do in front of the net

I need some advice/tips. I play right wing, and lately I've had trouble in front of the net. I'm a smaller player and most defencemen i've encountered pretty much hook, and push me away from the front of net (when i'm not even near the puck). I am sometimes able to move them back and get into position, but it really depends on their size/strength. Any ideas?

Position yourself a little off the net and then move to the front when the opportunity for a rebound or a deflection comes. Keep moving around so the defensemen can't use their size against you.

If you can, watch a guy like Ovechkin. He never goes straight infront of the net, he's a "swooper". If you don't like that, stand infront, but keep moving, keep spinning around, make him have to move, create a lane to the net for the puck carrier.

I"m smaller myself. I'll hover around the bigger defensemen. Or I'll stay in the mid slot area waiting to jump in for a loose puck. Thats what I do in pickup when I'm with better guys. I usually get a couple one timer goals off a pass from behind the net from those guys. On my regular adult team I'm usually the guy with the puck. We have a girl on the team that is usually good at comming in from the high slot for a one timer. She's only about 110lbs

im a recent converted LW from center, and i shoot right. when i get in zone i hand around a bit past in the left faceoff dot, so when a rebound comes out, i can hope on it. I am however 6'1 so i can stand in front of net, but thats why we have a giant on my line instead

Try to skate around looking for a pass or tip. If you need to post up in front plant your feet a shoulders length apart and a defensmen will have a hard time in moving you. I get cross checked a lot in the back but you gotta take one for the team.

dont get too tight to the net, like instead of being on top of the crease move up more to the slot, its easier to attack a rebound than trying to chase it as it passes you, also its more obvious if a D man is laying some interference on while youre off the crease, rather than in super tight, always keep two hands on the stick, and your feet moving

dont get too tight to the net, like instead of being on top of the crease move up more to the slot, its easier to attack a rebound than trying to chase it as it passes you, also its more obvious if a D man is laying some interference on while youre off the crease, rather than in super tight, always keep two hands on the stick, and your feet moving

Exactly.

I use to move "around" the defenseman like moving in circle around him ( wow, my English sucks!) so he is forced to follow me so maybe he is more concerned about "covering" you rather than follow the play.

But remember always to follow the play, if D has taken all your attention then he has won because you dont pay attention anymore to rebounds, pass, shots...

I use to avoid super tight contact with D because it's much easier for D to block me.

You have to be tricky. Your main goal is to screen the goalie, so as much jostling around with the Dman infront of the goalies eyes is a good thing! Also, Dmen tend to concentrate on the greatest threat at the time, so if you are standing there with stick on the ice ready to score he will be all over you. If you are moving around, stick not quite ready, getting behind him so he has to look around to see exactly where you are, and THEN you put down the blade at just the right time, the Dman will have a split second time delay before he comes back to giving you 100% attention. Sneaking in the back door when the Dman is looking elsewhere is a good trick too. Finally, if the Dman is chopping at you too much--go down. If you draw the penalty, that is good too. Just don't be a whimpy diving fool about it.

And don't forget, be in the right place to get the rebound!!! Sooo many times I see a forward there but he did not move the 2 feet over to anticipate exactly where the puck will rebound too after a shot. Be there and score.

I'm pretty big (6-3, 225) and I go to the front of the net a lot, and I get cross-checked, hooked, tripped, slashed, you name it. It's just part of the game, so I don't complain about it. I find that when I keep my feet moving and initiate contact rather than just receive it, I can create more havoc in front of the net, which is what you want to do.

If taking a beating in front of the net isn't for you, you might try to skate from one side of the crease to the other, and occasionally circle out higher. Most goals are scored from the face-off dots in, so you want to operate as much as you can within that triangle area.

A common thing with a lot of teams is you see all three forwards trying to crowd right around the crease. Sometimes there's just too much congestion and you can end up losing the puck and giving up an odd-man rush the other way. A winger who stays high in the slot can sometimes get the open shot, and if the puck is turned over can help out by back-checking.

like crazy otto i'm big also (6'4" 230). not to many people i play with can move me. i just plant myself about 3' in front of the goalie and move as hte puck moves trying to get that deflection or a good screen.

i will also float out to the circles (a lal a brett hull) after parking in the crease, hoping the d-man forgets about me so i can get off a one timer.

when in the crease make yourself bigger try lowering your ass(center of gravity).

tomas holmstrom (wings)is a great example of a small guy being big in hte crease. esp on the PP. he takes a beating nite in and nite out, but he gets the job done