Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McCabe#1

Steve Larmer

I'm surprised no one on here is talking about this yet, it sounds to be a huge story. With his resignation email to the NHLPA and all the harsh things he had to say, what do you think this will do to the NHLPA? From what everyone has said, he is a very important guy to a lot of the players.

He was a class act his entire career and retired early. For him to throw out comparisons to the Eagleson tenure at the NHLPA means there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than anyone thought.

McCabe#1,

Thanks for bringing this up. It was Hot Topic #1 on HNIC on Saturday. Ron MacLean was pushing buttons every time he spoke and Greg Millen was breathing fire on the West Coast broadcast. Fortunately, Grapes and Kelly Hrudey reminded everyone not to kill Trevor Linden and his effort, otherwise there would be no hockey right now.

That said, after listening to everyone on HNIC, there is a lot going on that Joe Fan does not have access to. For Larmer to use the name "Eagleson" is pretty serious stuff no matter what his point is. At times it sounds like the dissidents(Klatt and co.) are after something more than the "process" that "elected/selected" Saskin and at times it sounds like get the guys together in a room and let them hash it out. However, with 700+ members in NHLPA, there is no way everyone will agree and someone will always be pissed off about something. With Klatt going to National Labor Unions Board, there is some serious biz in the weeks to come. At the end of the day, you can't please everyone but the NHLPA should realize that right now every player has a PAY CHECK, and that is a whole lot different from one year ago.

This is an extremely interesting story to follow. Please add links when news is there from Canadian newspapers. Down here in the States, this is nowhere on the sports pages. Thanks,

I agree with Cherry and Hrudy. A mistake was made. There was no malicious intent, but they (Saskin and NHLPA Executive) have to turn the clock back and make it right.

I agree with Cherry and Hrudy. A mistake was made. There was no malicious intent, but they (Saskin and NHLPA Executive) have to turn the clock back and make it right.

I had agreed with that until the Larmer resignation. For him to imply that the problems were still ongoing really makes the situation a bit more suspect. Initially I wrote off most of the dissenters as Goodenow's guys, this really changes things for me.

My hunch is Larmer is upset that they're trying to wait out the storm hoping this blows over. Instead, they should be putting the system in place to right the wrongs.

I doubt we'll ever know. Here in Vancouver, the media reports are that Linden has lost weight and is really bothered by all of this.

Linden is a fan favourite so local media won't bash him, but I wonder if he has anything left in the tank after all this -- let alone play hockey -- which he isn't doing all that well this year.

There is a VERY easy way to fix all of this:

Saskin should resign, and they should put a list of candidates in. If Saskin is chosen by the proper method, then everything is fine. if he isn't, he shouldn't have been in the first place.

Saskin should resign, and let is be done the right way.

I did like what Lindros said Saturday...

"Maybe Ted is the right guy to run the PA...and he very well might be...we just want him put in there the right way" (or something to that effect).