Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cobrAA

when do u start playin contact?

I live in Quebec ,montreal i'm playing bantam AA and i started playin contact las year when i was 13yr

in quebec you play contact only in elite league and it start bantam(13yr)

and other country how about??

In BC its 11, first year of peewee.

When did they change that? When I played in Pee Wee, BC didn't start contact until Bantam. This was about 3 seasons ago.

11 first year of pee-wee. I think it is that for about all of canada other than quebec that i've heard so far.

cobrAA do you play for verdun/lasalle?

I started contact at 12 (summer AAA leagues) but in montreal i started at 15 which was bantams back then.

I missed the jump they made where every kid moved up a year, and started playing contact earlier.

cobrAA do you play for verdun/lasalle?

I started contact at 12 (summer AAA leagues) but in montreal i started at 15 which was bantams back then.

I missed the jump they made where every kid moved up a year, and started playing contact earlier.

yes i'M from lac st-louis verdun-lasalle bantma AA

your from montreal too??

Well...so i think Quebec is retard!!!!! :rolleyes:

i have improved a lot of difficulty playin contact at 13 for my first year contact..it was funny cuz I was like the biggest guy on the team with 6f 2-3 on skate and i were like allways on ass lollll :(

peewee AAA would be great 4 me to start playing contact....anywyas now im on a league montreal metropolitains it nice it bantam midget together so it 13 to 17yrs but with no contact <_<

I heard in Canada that you're allowed to check in squirts. I think I read it out of American Hockey, this article about this squirt team going to play there

Here it started in Pee-Wees. I remember going to an International Tourny and talking to some Canadian parents. They said that they didn't play contact in Canada, so they sent their team to a checking camp before coming to the tourny.

Full contact was in my first year of Bantam.

same here

actually i didnt play at all when i was supposed to be a first yr bantam, so this yr was my first experience. I did get rocked a couple of times but being big is a plus. Also speaking of the checking camp thing, my coaches never really taught us how to check - as demonstrated by our 2-14 record <_< . I think thats what's wrong with NA hockey in general: not enough skills taught, more than half the icetime is wasted on breakout and oddman rush drills, which just isnt that helpful.

Im pretty sure i started playing contact in my second year of atom. When we first started, they had people come to our practice to teach us how to hit, take hits and pin people. It was very useful.

When we first started, they had people come to our practice to teach us how to hit, take hits and pin people. It was very useful.

I wish I had that. I had to learn on my own basiclly. I think usa hockey or just illinois hockey made it mandatory todo a checking clinic before peewees.

Guest Datsyuk*13

Ours is first year atom. It used to be pee wee but they changed it now

whats with bringing up the yr old post yorks

he's just doing it to get posts, or hes so bord he goes looking through old topics

It's still a valid topic....and it used to be by USA Hockey rules, that contact is allowed from the beginning of peewee hockey which is 11-12 here in the US. I do not know if this has changed.

Someone mentioned that they wished more individual skills were taught at practices and clinics. While I think specific skill clinics address these issues, it is unfortunate that due to the cost of ice time, so many organizations focus more on team play from very early on in the scheduled practices, and leave the skill development to the individual players.

This means that to advance your personal skills, these must be learned in alternate clinics, in addition to the team ice time. Many parents cannot afford this luxury, so if dad isn't a skilled or knowledgeable coach, or there is not some friend of the family, or relative to help at a public rink, many kids do not see proper instruction for many skills ..not just the one's directly involving contact.

Teaching contact hockey should not be done until after many critical skating and stick handling skills have been soundly established in the young player. Good balance and agility are necessary skills to make a clean hit or avoid same. Heads up skating with the puck is another skill which should be developed before contact is taught. Hence in many European training systems, the individual skating and stick skills are taught for a longer period of time, before team play and contact skill training begins.

Once the skating and stick handling foundation is well established, only then should the player move up the hockey skills pyramid to the other disciplines. There are large variations in the ages as to when these skill levels are achieved, due to variations in access to training and ice time. Hence the variations in player ratings...AAA, AA, A, B, C.....within these different skill evaluation levels. I feel that while some of the more advanced skills(team play) can be taught to younger players who have achieved advanced levels in skating and stickhandling, the contact aspect of hockey should in fact be delayed. At least until the growth plates between the bones of the youth players, have matured to 90% of completion or better. This to avoid the possibility of long lasting injuries. This is typically around age 13 - 14.

Unfortunately because some systems allow contact at a lower age group, other systems feel obliged to follow suit in order to be able to compete at tournament levels where contact is allowed.

Personally I think contact should be delayed in competiton until age 14, but allowed to be taught in a controlled environment (clinics) from age 12. However to get into a contact clinic, a player would need to demonstrate at least "A" level skating competence, and stickhandling.

I know many of the larger players who are big for their age will disagree, but I stand firm.