Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robin640

Free Skate Sharpening

Providing you have a VIP card at Modell's you are able to get your skates sharpened for free. I just called a local Modell's store and they will sharpen them 3 different ways. Beginner, intermediate or NHL player - what ever this means. When I asked about sharpening my skates to an 11/16" blade hollow (radius) the sporting goods employee was confuse.

It is not that i don't love my LHS skate sharpening, but there are 4 of us in the family that skate and it can get fairly expensive. I guess it cannot hurt to try it. Has anyone had any experience with them?

-Thanks

Unless you want to end up buying new steel for your skates dont get them done there.They are inexperienced and will not do a good job.How do you think a random store employee is going to do sharpenning your skates?

Skate sharpening is a bit of an art. It looks simple, and most lunkheads could use the machine without losing a finger, but the results vary greatly. You can burn a blade, change the rocker or balance point unitentionally, grind a weird hollow radius, grind two different height edges, not notice the blade is bent, etc, etc. The best bet is to find one or two guys that you trust, and pay the $4.

If you have 4 family members that skate AND are a little mechanically inclined, a skate sharpener pays for itself very quickly. I use a Wissota. You also probably need an edge caliper to learn how to do it right.

but yes... even at my LHS its 1 guy or only one other if hes is not there...even then I usually wait...they know what I want....and take pride in doing it. Its worth the extra drive to the shop

I have gotten pretty good at sharpening by now, and sometimes it takes 5 minutes, and sometimes it takes 25 minutes! Depends on how chewed up the blades are, if they are bent, and the phase of the moon. You do not want to rush your sharpener! He might give you back your skates before they are ready.

What you need are sharp, nick free and parallel edges. If you have been walking on sand tracked in at the rink and there are deep gouges, or 1" of an edge has broken off, it will take some time to repair.

When I asked about sharpening my skates to an 11/16" blade hollow (radius) the sporting goods employee was confuse.

i bought my skates in sportsrouseua in MTL and they offered free sharpening, so i asked for 3/8 and the guy had no idea what it meant so i changed my mind