Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

For all you Southern California people....

I am tired of going to Hockey Giant and Hawk Hockey to get my skates sharpened because I always seem to get a bad cut (like the other night when I got my skates back and one of the edges was completely crooked).

Where do you go for sharpening? Who do you have do it? I am looking for some good recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

the older guy at Center Ice Ontario does a good job. you could also try Skate Zone in HB. their pro shop has done my skates many times and i've never had a problem.

incidently, the Hockey Giant that was in Disney Ice/Anaheim (or w/e the fuck it is now) is no more. Its changing into something like Ultimate or Supreme or something super cool like that. I used to really like the Disney Ice pro shop way back before HG went in and sold their cheap-ass sherwood and gear shit. Hopefully this new store is good like that one was.

Steve at Giant was the only person that could do a good job, but he was not there half the time when i would go in, or if he was, someone else would end up sharpening, so yeah, I just send them to JR. Speaking of which, I finally got back on the ice this last week after a couple months off, Its about time to send my steel back. Luckily I have an extra set of steel from the s500's i converted to inline.

Steve at Giant was the only person that could do a good job, but he was not there half the time when i would go in, or if he was, someone else would end up sharpening, so yeah, I just send them to JR. Speaking of which, I finally got back on the ice this last week after a couple months off, Its about time to send my steel back. Luckily I have an extra set of steel from the s500's i converted to inline.

So you just send the steel to him, he sharpens it, sends it back and you put it back on the holder yourself?

Not that he needs it but I'll vouch for JR's ability. The only sharpenings I've had that were as good were done by the equipment manager for the AHL's Iowa Stars.

So you just send the steel to him, he sharpens it, sends it back and you put it back on the holder yourself?

yep. The pitch holder makes this easy.

I'd like to get my new solid steel done up by JR, then put it in my XXXs but im not sure on shipping costs and period of time it would take..

I'd like to get my new solid steel done up by JR, then put it in my XXXs but im not sure on shipping costs and period of time it would take..

Shipping cost shouldn't be too awful. You could probably send them in one of those priority envelopes that's padded, it was like 10 bucks for me to ship an envelope that size from Canada to the US with insurance and tracking, so it shouldn't be that bad. I think it would be even more economical if you get like two or three extra sets of steel and ship them all out at once, so you can ship more than one pair of steel out to him to be sharpened at once.

priority shipping is $4 each way, and you can use the free priority envelopes from the post office and wrap the steel in paper towels or something.

I'm in Thousand Oaks / Simi Valley area. I use Skaters Edge. It is one guy (Robert) working out of a garage. He does all kinds of high end figure skaters as well as hockey folk. They drive serious milage to get there. Funny thing is that the guy never played hockey or skated. He is a machinist. Guages all his work. Allways square, even and never burned. I have to drive a bit to get to him so I bought extra set of steel for my grafs. That way I get them both done and don't have to go for a while. The consensus around here that he is by far the best guy around. Let me know if you want his phone, or just google him -Skaters Edge Simi Valley-.