Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dgaronzik

About to leave work to put the family dog down

This has been coming for some time but my mom decided last week that it was finally time. Weve had this dog since I was 11, I grew up with her, played hockey with her and she pretty much followed me everywhere I went in the house. When I left for college, she'd sit on my bed and wait for me during the day, she even pissed on it a couple times cause she was mad I wasnt home. The past couple years she's been on meds for arthritis and a thyroid problem, the past couple months she's been barely able to walk and has had kidney problem as well as heart problems. I know this is for the best, but damn Im going to miss her.

Hope you all have a better afternoon then I do.

My dad had to put down the dog I grew up with a couple of years ago. I still miss the big guy every now and then.

It sucks I know. The best thing you can do is to get another one right away.

It works well for me anyhow.

my gf and I got a dog about 5 months ago, I was really happy the new dog got to meet taylor before this had to happen. charlie is damn cool, but she'll never be taylor.

Just know that they'll be better off because they won't be in all that pain. My mum had to put down one of our dogs last week and then another got sick and my mum just put her on her bed and laid with her until she passed. It's a brutal feeling but I took solace knowing they don't have to suffer anymore.

Yeah when I got the dog I have now I took him because he's a midget runt and I figured no one would take him. I haven't heard of that affecting how long he'll be around so I dote on him way too much.

Sorry, that other quote was me, I didn't realize that I was logged in as JR.

Our german shephard was from a police kennel and only his sister, who had a heart defect outlived him.

Sorry about losing your Dog, it's crappy, but it's not awful. Our new dog is alright, we had to put down our family pet that was older than me when it was put down. It was much like yours in the fact it was inevitable, at the time it was blind and deaf, not exactly a dream life for dogs at the end.

Guest phillyfan

Putting down a dog may not seem the best decision for you, but, in most cases, it's the best thing you can do for your dog. I've been fortunate enough not to have to have any animlas put down yet, but my aunt did last year. Her dog was blind, deaf, and had burns on most of his body, she adopted him to put him down. Imagine being blind, deaf, and being covered with burns. Would you not consider suicide?

Man, that really sucks. My parents had to put down the family dog last fall, she was 15 1/2. She had a nervous-system condition that caused skin irritation, as well as a tumor deep in her ear that threw off her balance, especially in her back legs/hips. It was getting pretty bad at the end, and she was starting to suffer, but at least I got to stop by and spend a couple hours with her before my parents and brother took her to the vet. Couldn't have asked for a better, nicer dog...

I had to put down both my dog and cat in the past year, it sucked..probably was the last time I really had a good cry. I just took comfort that they were in a better place. But on another note, looking back it's odd how we can have the dignity to put down our animals when they are suffering, but yet we don't do it to humans.

My parents are gonna have to put down one of our dogs in the next year because he's got lymphoma(sp). and theres really to point in operating because its already spread.

Yea, I had a dog from when I was 2 to 15, he was great, best personality and very calm. I could fall and trip on him, step on him etc. and he wouldn't care, when I was little I used to ride him aorund like a horse. But it was really sad when we had to put him down but when their in so much pain you don't want them to keep suffering. I've also had quite a few rabbits in my lifetime and it's sad when they pass on but usually a bunnies average lifespan is around 5 years or so, but it's just something you have to accept and deal with. Pets are great but it's sad when they leave us.

I had to put down both my dog and cat in the past year, it sucked..probably was the last time I really had a good cry. I just took comfort that they were in a better place. But on another note, looking back it's odd how we can have the dignity to put down our animals when they are suffering, but yet we don't do it to humans.

My gf and I had this conversation regularly leading up to this point. We both feel the same way and know that if the situation arose, the right decision would be made (ie life support system etc). Hopefully neither of us will have to be in that situation with the other.

I had a good cry along with my mom, in fact my dad called me and pretty much thanked me for going with my mom because she didnt think my dad would be enough support for her. I guess she needed someone to cry with, I had a great connection with that dog, I couldnt help but cry when they started injecting her.

Thanks to everyone who replied, yesterday was one of the hardest things Ive had to do in a long time. But I know she's out of pain and I know I'll never forget her.

Now the only dog in he family is mine and my gf's dog. Like Taylor, Charlie is the runt of her litter and is very playfull, now only if I could get her to play hockey properly.

We put my family dog down 3 years ago. We got it when I was born and he was 13 years old. We have a new dog now which acts exactly the same, it's weird. Our oldest cat is on it's last leg as well, he's 19 years old.