Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

asr

Need new shinguards..sugestions for around 60

I have been using the same shinguards for like 10 years..time to upgrade. here is what i found for arounf 60

bauer 6000 - and for a little more 8000

jofa 8060 or 7500 or 9040

ccm 852

ok, so now i need some advice form you guys. Who has some inside knowledge and can help me out. Any other choices are great to. Not sure what to get, but it is that time. Oh yeah, i think i setteld on a bauer vapor X shaft..any feed back on that is apreciated to.

thanks

I switched to Jofa 8060 about 2 years ago from Bauer Supreme because I was "bottoming out" when I went down hard on the knees. The Jofas are much better protection, cooler (temperature, not appearance) and have a removable liner. I would rate the Jofas a 10/10.

I wear Jofa 8060's too, and I think Jofa shin guards are the best. Here's the story why... One time I was on a breakaway away going full tilt and got tripped up by the goalie, I flew into the boards knee first and cracked the shell on them but I wasn't hurt at all. It was one of the scariest moments I've ever had while playing and I am greatful for those shinguards. Jofa all the way :lol:

I had some 8060's and hated them. They were terribly uncomfortable and felt awkward on me. I replaced them with Nike THG's and they're much better (though still not perfect)

I had the 852's and they were terrible. Took 3 shots with them and it felt like there was nothing there at all. Played one game and got rid of them.

Not sure of the price but the new Missions look pretty good. I would look into those too if they aren't too pricey. If they're too much, I'd go with the Jofa's as well.

I've been using 852s for almost a year and they work for me. Light and well ventilated but I don't block a lot of big slappers so you may not like them as much. If you plan on keeping them for a while you may have some problems too. I always dry out mt gear and take it out of the bag but my 852s are starting to fall apart.

Guest phillyfan

I'd go for the Jofa 7500 or 9040's. I really like the Jofa Shin Pads, and if you can find last years model, they usually are priced low too.

Jofas are great. Koho also makes a good shin for the money. I would steer you away from the 852s. I've had mine for 2 years. I dry out my equipment and play men's league three times a week, ref, assistant coach, and always wear my shin pads no matter what. As Chadd mentioned, the 852s are light and well ventilated, but aren't very durable or protective. The padding around the knee has compressed and the lining is tearing away especially around the tongue of the skate area. I skate in Pure Flys and wear my shins over the tongue of my skates. While the Jofas are great, if wrap around protection for your lower calf is important to you (especially behind the tendon guard of the skate) have you considered the Easton Ultralights? They should be in your price range.

Guest 2048

I use 8060s and really like em. As for calf protection...eh, it's really not all that important. You're not gonna take all that many pucks off of your calves and when you do, it's one of the meatier parts of your body. I took one off of my calve a few weeks ago and I didn't mind it at all. The padding didn't wrap around far enough to protect it, so it hit the flesh, but it wasn't really painful at all.

V-12s are a like $90 U.S. You may consider the Nike V-10. Calf protection is more important for slash and cut protection than the stray puck. If you've ever been slashed with a stick in the back of the calf or cut with a skate you may seriously consider having adequate protection in the back of the shin guard as well, both of which are painful.

yea and then there are always the clowns who turn their back when blocking a shot, the calf protection would probably help there also. :D

yea and then there are always the clowns who turn their back when blocking a shot, the calf protection would probably help there also. :D

The people who does that and get hurt deserve it for their lack of intelligence.