Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletch

Freezing gloves to kill bacteria....

For the times that I have forgotten to air out my equipment, I organize my stuff (except the skates) with the insides facing the water in my shower and let it run fairly hot while I go off and do something else. Occasionally, I might squirt a little antibacterial hand soap in there, but not always. After letting it dry out completely (preferably in the sun), it never really smells again at all until the next time I forget.

I haven't experienced any longterm damage or breakdowns, although I wouldn't leave my helmet in too long because of the glue. I would also towel dry the palms of my gloves as much as possible afterwards. Maybe you could put shaving cream on them too but I haven't had to.

I've tried febreze and some other equipment spray that I can't remember the name of, but this has worked the best for me as I don't like the thought of having chemicals on my skin which also seem to add their own weird smells.

You could just spray it down with something like alcohol or peroxide...or leave it out in the sun for several hours. That will actually kill the organisms, as opposed to rinsing the gear out, freezing it, or doing whatever else that won't actually have an effect.

does the ozone thing work on other stuff? Like stinky shoes. My skates are real bad too.

It worked on my skates. I'm going to put some shoes in the tub next time.

I know it's a bit off topic, but this could be a topper when it comes to nasty equipment...

A few years back, I took about 3 months off during the summer. I left my equipment in my bag in my basement over the 3 months. When I was putting my equipment on again for the first time since the summer, I was surprised to find my gloves were still wet. The odd thing was that the inside of my gloves felt funny...like the leather was coming off the palm and rolling up into little balls in my hands. When I pulled my hands out, I had hundreds of maggots all over my hands! I rinsed them out in the locker room the best I could and went and played. After the skate when I was getting undressed, I found that I had maggots in my elbow pads, my shinguards and my helmet!! Good stuff!!

I just occasionally bring most of m gear to an equipment cleaning place. Also I let it air out in the sun on nice warm days.

I spray my gloves with Febreze atfter every use and air dry them. The obvious solution to smelly gloves full of bacteria would be to buy a new pair. I try to buy a new pair about once a year, never had a problem with maggots or staph yet.

I know it's a bit off topic, but this could be a topper when it comes to nasty equipment...

A few years back, I took about 3 months off during the summer. I left my equipment in my bag in my basement over the 3 months. When I was putting my equipment on again for the first time since the summer, I was surprised to find my gloves were still wet. The odd thing was that the inside of my gloves felt funny...like the leather was coming off the palm and rolling up into little balls in my hands. When I pulled my hands out, I had hundreds of maggots all over my hands! I rinsed them out in the locker room the best I could and went and played. After the skate when I was getting undressed, I found that I had maggots in my elbow pads, my shinguards and my helmet!! Good stuff!!

sick

I just tried this at home. Put a small (cheap) ozone generator in a Rubbermaid tub, turn it on and leave some (already dry) gear in there for 1/2 hour to an hour.

No more stink!! I couldn't believe how well it worked. Before this, I would have to wash my hands 3 times to get the stink off from wearing my gloves.

UHG!!!!

Will you people give us more info?!!! What? Where? How much?

That maggot story is disgusting.

Febreeze Antimicrobial has been working well, just don't mix it with Clorox wipes. Had to clear the house for a while after that one.

Good tip on the sun, I'm going to try that this weekend. And I think new gloves are on my list.

One thing that I started doing that works fairly well, and I'm sure kills most of the bacteria, is go to the store and get a spray bottle. Fill the bottle 1/2 isopropyl alcohol, 1/2 water. Spray all your equipment down after use, and the alcohol kill the bacteria and keeps most of the stink out of the equipment.

I hope you are kidding ... that is nasty.

That is the nastiest thing I've heard about hockey equipment.

there was one guy who posted on here that he skates barefoot and there was a rotting mouse in one skate.

Yeah, it was pretty gross. The guys on the bench were almost puking because everytime i'd get on the bench, i'd pull my hands out of the gloves and rinse off more maggots!

It was either play hockey with maggots or don't play hockey at all!

Tony

Yeah, it was pretty gross. The guys on the bench were almost puking because everytime i'd get on the bench, i'd pull my hands out of the gloves and rinse off more maggots!

Tony

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Tony

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

A few of my friends wish that it didn't happen!

i think it might be time to get new gloves, dude.

Yeah...the gloves got tossed immediately after that, and my equipment got a thorough cleaning.

I love playing hockey, have played busted open, fear arrving to the rink only to realize I forgot an important piece of equipment-the usual hockey stuff. However, if I had maggots in my gloves I would probably call it a day.

Tony

How THAT is dedication!

I'm gonna have to throw a BS flag on the playing in maggoty equipment. I doubt any human would actually do that.

Throw whatever flags you like.

I actually asked a guy that was working at the rink if they had other gloves that I could use, and he got me a pair of gloves that were in the employee locker room, but they were some old school gloves and didn't like the feel of them so I kept using the maggot gloves. It wasn't like there were maggots pouring out of my gloves. I rinsed most of them out before I played. I would just have a few more on my hands after each shift.