Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

Does anyone wear glasses?

Played with glasses a few times. It wasn't so much the fog that bothered me, it was mostly when sweat drips on your lens during a game, while you are on the ice--you are so screwed. Then you gotta go the bench and try to wipe it off with a sweaty towel or an abrasive jersey, and you just make it worse cuz it smears everywhere. Pain in the ass!

I started wearing contacts mainly for playing sports. I might go for a skate in my glasses now, but never for a game. Best to go with contacts. You'll save yourself a ton of hassle and play better too

I have to agree with all the contact lens advocates. My eyes are really bad, and the newer disposable lenses are available in just about any prescription (even with severe astigmatism). They're also very comfortable, even if you wear them infrequently. I used to wear the old gas-permeable lenses (semi-soft), and they could feel very irritating if you didn't wear them regularly. The new lenses are a dream.

FWIW, I wore the rec-specs a couple of times and couldn't stand them. I switched to disposable contacts. For rec/practice skates, I'll wear an older pair of my glasses when I don't feel like messing with the contacts. But I really didn't like the rec specs. Too confining, didn't fit right under the helmet, fogged like crazy (whereas my glasses don't nearly as much), and limited peripheral vision.

If you can, go with contacts!

I used to wear contacts for hockey. I'm too lazy to clean the lenses, so I'm back to wearing my regular glasses.

Fogging is not a problem for me since I only play ball hockey, and we are not required to wear a helmet.

I have never gotten the hang of contacts and so I wear recspecs. Two things, fogging is an issue and so generally you need to wipe them down with some sort of antifog product. Second, sweat is an issue running down into them so I wear a headband. I look like an apache nerd, but it seems to work. One more thing, if you go to this kind of arrangement, you might need to adjust your helmet to accomodate the recspec strap and/or headband.

Mcgwillie

Well I took the plunge and bought some disposable contact lenses. They are relatively inexpensive I guess. I got 180 lenses for $110. THat is 90 games/practices worth, and since I only play once a week or so they should last a very long time. I can see where guys who play six times a week could get in trouble with the cost though.. These are absolutely disposable, no cleaning, no storing, no cases or solution.

I use Acuvue Advance 2 wk disposables. However I can stretch them to a month, month and a half by cleaning/storing.

That's what I do as well. so far my 6 month supply has lasted for 18 months or so and I still have some in the closet.

I use this stuff called “Cat Crapâ€. It’s an anti-fog wax that I put on before the game. I also use a sweatband to keep the sweat from dripping on the glasses. This has worked well for me as the glasses rarely fog up (sometimes they fog a little on the bench but they clear up as soon as I start moving). I just use my regular glasses.

OK, I have switched to contacts, but I did wear the recspecs. My problem was the fogging. Then my cousin opened a paintball facility back in Ireland and let me in on a little tip, he uses for the paintball masks.

Shampoo.

A tiny little bit, rubbed on the glasses, and thouroughly rubbed in so there are no smears will prevent fogging. It works.

We have to wear a full cage, so the normal glasses were not really an option for me, the recspecs have the band rather than the sticks behind your ears.

But the difference with contacts is simply amazing. Even for me, once I got used to putting them in and out, driving and having full peripheral vision is fantastic.

Wear a doo-rag thingy though, because if you sweat much like me, and don't your eyes will sting like hell with the contacts if sweat gets inthem.

Also, if you do wear contacts, bring the rewetting agent to the bench and reapply from time to time, as your eyes will dry out fairly quickly on ice

Man that was quick!!

I have even more respect for the Mods now than I had before.

Thanks

I really am done :)

I use Acuvue Advance 2 wk disposables.  However I can stretch them to a month, month and a half by cleaning/storing.

I was really tempted to go that route as well. I have tried contact several times before, and they just never worked out. Now I put them on, wear them for four or five hours, and then throw them away. No storage cases, no solutions, no enzymes, no nothing. I will keep a bottle of "insta-tears" on hand though.