Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reaper07

The small details of hockey

so today at practice our capt. was waiting behind our goal for the breakout

he had his stick at his waist but i wanted the pass up the boards

so i just skated by to lead the d or get the pass

chaos ensues and he loses the puck

after a shift he tells me that the common rule is that if the player has his stick at his waist he wants u to take the puck but if hes playing with it then skate by

ive only started playing hockey a year ago

and only house league

natural ability got me on varsity and ive been improving

i can hold my own

deke a few guys

shoot

hit

play d

buuutttt i dont know the little details you would learn in mites or atoms....

soo can u guys help me out?

anything in the same arena as wut i explained above

stuff everyone should know

but i dont lol

thanks

much appreciated

well every team i would assume have little tricks and little things that they have used to help start plays. i know that in high school our d man would stand behind the net with the puck and if he he had the toe of the blade on the puck he was going to skate the opposite direction of the guy swinging and pass back, if he didnt touch the puck it was yours to take, and he if had one hand on his stick, he was going to skate it up. this is all assuming that there is no pressure.

i know that personally if i am behind the net, we ran like a three player play, while two guys would kinda block anyone from entering the zone...one guy would skate behind and stop behind the net (usually me)...another guy would skate buy, and then the other and they would cross. i would pass the puck off the back of the net (on the metal) and it would hit off the pipe, bottom of the boards and then sit there to be picked up and i would be the guy to lend some cover so someone could skate out

obviously this doenst help your situation but to just give you some ideas. my advice would be to ask the captain and break down all of your plays/positioning to identify what you need to work on/reconize

Hockey "details" like you say are not universal i think, they are decided by the team generally. If i play for your team tommorow, i don't think i'll know the the subtilities of your communication right away.

Anyway i don't think there's a general rule about those.

Generally you want your stick on the ice all the time -- just ask Don Cherry.

In that situation, if the person behind the net has his stick on the side of the puck that his teammate is coming in from, that means don't take it. The opposite is also true.

Another way to look at it is if I'm the player skating toward the back of the net and my teammate is already there, if he's shielding the puck from me, I don't take it. If I can see the puck then I take it.

Clear as mud?

guys ur focusing too much on the example at hand

maybe its a team issue but i dont remeber us talking bout it ever

anything that is common knowledge maybe?

not universal

It all depends on how well you know your team. A lot of skaters have payed with eachother all their lives. He could of easily said "take it" and most the time you should, but be ready to pass right away accross ice because there is almost always a man ready to pressure you. Tell your D to talk to, thats how you controll the ice.

He should have his stick on the ice.

But, if you want to improve communication with him, just accept that as his little quirk. Keep talking with him and your other teammates between shifts and in the locker room. It does help.

Here are a few...

ALWAYS TALK! Beginners NEVER talk when they are on the ice. The sooner you realise that you can communicate while skating, the better you can function as a unit.

Never screen your own goalie. Don't make your goalies job harder than it alreay is.

On D - Stay "Goal-side" of opposing players. That means you are inbetween them and the net.

Play the body - look at the oppositions waist. The puck can dance all around, he/she can deke all they want, but their waist has to go where they are going. Watching the Head and Shoulders can get you burned.

Have fun and if you don't know...Ask.

When I started playing PeeWee (a long time ago!), I was offside all the time. I didn't ask, so I didn't know why...

Chris

Agreed! ALWAYS TALK. Go watch NHL or top D1 games. What is the star doing before the pass? "Hey, joe!" as you watch joe turn to get the pass and make the game wining goal!

Its the guy who passes and "thinks" that the forward skating ahead can read his mind and turn at just the right moment that is going nowhere!