Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Rebound

rebound is the term for how well the wheel returns energy when you are skating. If a wheel had no rebound it would be like trying to skate in sand where all your motion would get bogged down. A wheel with higher rebound returns more energy/flexes back more when you are skating enabling you to expend less energy for more return. The best way I can describe the feeling was going from Millenium Grippers to RR Hornets. The Hornets felt almost bouncy in comparison because they have a higher rebound than the Labedas, and they returned more energy enabling higher speed because of better energy return than the Labedas which felt like they were sponging onto the floor and bogging me down.

That's actually a pretty darn good explantion. I'm sure there are engineers or something that have better, but in plain terms, couldn't have said it better myself.

I guess I would just add that when thinking about rebound, think about SNAP or LIVLINESS. If you're on a single pour or really cheap wheel, the wheel seems plasticky (Spelling?) or hard. No life to them. But a rebound wheel, will snap some energy back, feel more lively, more cushiony.

yes. high end wheels have good rebound..but there's more than that to the wheel..

the first real high rebound wheel that I recall was one by Prime, Chem10, they rocked...93% rebound..akin to a race wheel..most inline wheels had 75-80% rebound..which is more than sufficent since you are looking for more than speed

iceburg- revisions have great rebound. Like it was said before a single pour wheel is more of a hard wheel. Because of revisions torus system it gives you great rebound.. even when you turn, if you look down at your wheels you can see them bend. Revisions have great rebounds and hold you through tight turns.

Great wheels. Had the older model with the different Torus ring in it. Seemed a bit stiff/hard, but turned out to be an excellent performing wheel.

yeah you are right.. i too felt that the torus ring was stiffer on the original ones.. as time went on and as more versions were made the torus has had more flex and even the original wheels were amazing

Gentlemen,

No wheel has a higher rebound then Rink Rat wheels!!!

Over the course of the next few weeks I will be explaining this more. The public needs to be educated on what exactly Mtech is and why were the only wheel company in the world that can do it.

Other wheel companies have hard inner rings which supply "Zero" rebound! although they will tell you differently.

Some companies have an air bladder in the middle, which they will tell you gives you added incredible rebound. It's been tried before by a different company with out much success because air is dead. there's no rebound to air.

With Rink Rat our Mtech is the soft inner layer that is actually a soft superball material that replaces the air. We have replaced the air because as said above "air is dead" This soft material is 62A durometer. This is the huge rebound you feel when you skate on Rink Rat. And because we have a soft inner we're able to harden the outer tread to 76A, 78A and 80A for speed and wear. What you do with our wheels is take the average of the 62A with the 76A and you are getting the grip of around 69A because the 2 hardnesses work together unlike any other wheel on the market, you also get the roll, speed and wear of a 76A. The absolute best of both Worlds.

Again, as I have said before use the wheel or wheel company that works for you. I see allot of the information that's put out on the board and sometimes is less then accurate. As said above over the course of the next few weeks I will be discussing with you the real facts and those that use smoke and mirrors!!!!

Have a nice weekend guys,

Mike

P.S Rink Rat tri duro is coming!

Some companies have an air bladder in the middle, which they will tell you gives you added incredible rebound. It's been tried before by a different company with out much success because air is dead. there's no rebound to air.

I remember those old wheels Hyper put out, you actually had to use an air pump with a needle. Chalk that one up to the bad idea column.

this stuff has gotten way too complicated in the last 10 years.

i remeber my only barometer of a wheel is how fast it wore down to the "hub" on asphalt in 90 degree weather. :)

(i guess ice hockey "icy pond beginnings" sound much more pictureqsue.)

now $6 a wheel is a steal.

i sound like an old man

this stuff has gotten way too complicated in the last 10 years.

The companies are beginning to understand more and more for making beter wheels though too, so it's bound to get a bit harder. Basically though, if you want a good wheel, run with Rink Rat or Revision. They are by far the two top wheels right now. If you don't want to go 8-10 dollars a wheels, I highly reccomend Cyko over Hyper or Labeda, since you'll get similar performance at around 3-4 a wheel instead of 5-8 a wheel. I personally am in the Rink Rat camp because I've never had a wheel last me as long as the hornets, nor with as much performance. Never tried Revision, so I can't comment

oh yeah - i know and appreciate the difference in the quality of the product, I'm just commenting on the state of the technology. :)

I'm now starting to get back into playing more; back in '01 I remember Wicked Stickies by Kryptonics were 'hot', now I don't even think they make hockey wheels... It's good to see 'real' changes in the design of these wheels though.

I'm now starting to get back into playing more; back in '01 I remember Wicked Stickies by Kryptonics were 'hot', now I don't even think they make hockey wheels... It's good to see 'real' changes in the design of these wheels though.

Kryptonics is owned by Bravo Sports who also owns Hyper and a newer company called Factory, so Kryptonics only does skateboarding stuff now. Hyper and Labeda both had the opportunity to advance their products, Labeda sat on the same product for a couple years too long and Hyper hasn't developed anything groundbreaking since 97 or so. Rink Rat and Revision are definitely the way to go, although I remember reading something quite some time ago where both Rink Rat and Revision addressed their products attributes on here. Basically the Rink Rats are more lively with the rebound and Revision is a stiffer feel if I remember correctly. If you are hard on wheels at all, I can attest to the longevity of the Rink Rats, they last me 3-4 times longer than anything else so far.

i have to say ,this is a great web for inline info,i also use the rink rat wheels,but lately thier wheels have changed and they dont feel the same(my opinion)i was using afull set of new hornets and i felt i was skateing with cement boots,all night my skates felt heavy,i was a little disappionted,i changed back to hot shots and my skateing felt better, BUT if i could find a wheel that gives me the grip i need and holds its grip skate after skate,game in game out,then i want to use that wheel. i will give the revision wheels a try and see how they feel and hold up.rink rat is still a very good wheel co. i would like to give revision wheels a try,just another option.

alostsok,when you now your equiptment and how it feels you can tell when something doesnt feel right , like when your stick is to long or to short.those wheels did not feel right 1 to heavy 2 didnt grip good ,they did not feel like the old green hornet wheels used to feel like.when i put 2 hot shot wheels in the middle it lightened up the skate,that felt alot better so ill give the revisions a shot and see how they peform.what can i say i hate when my equiptment doesnt feel the same game after game,its like a distraction of sorts. i hope im not the only one that feels like that with hockey equiptment.anybody else?

.. from what i remember from the original rinkrats they are soft and did have pretty good rebound. Wont disagree with that comment. But with revisions i feel like they arent stiff but not to soft either. They are just right. The revisions bend with you as you turn and when you push off they also bend to give you a quick start or rebound. Every company has a different theory. Rinkrat has the Mtech and Revision has the Torus system.

As for the Krytonics.. those wheels were sick lol.. the pink ones were amazing.. you can still find them around every once in a while

P.S Rink Rat tri duro is coming!

I cant wait for those, they sound sick!I dont get how 3 duros would make a huge difference though unless one was super soft or something