Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

92hatchattack

Learning how to be a golie?

I am 24 years of age, out of shape and overweight, and ive never really played hockey. BUT, i am facinated by it and see it as a fun way to get in shape and have a good time.

Now i bought a pair on inline skates to practice with outdoors, and i messing around with some first time stick handling and whatnot, but im also intrested in trying out the goile postion. I mean, i figure if i were intrested in playing both a foward/defense position, and a golie position i could try both out in a beginner league next winter.

But how do you get into playing goal at such an old, and out of shape/unflexable guy??? Im sure you cant just show up for a beginer league and say u want to be a golie without ever even practicing can you?

Me and my fiancee mess around in the living room and she takes some shots on me and whatnot. I bought a cheap catcher just for fun and i have to admit it pretty cool. But i feel that i should ask now and figure out some sort of proper technique before i start a bad habit.

Well, before i go any futher can anyone offer some advice for some at home first time goalie practice/technique???

Thanks guys.....

---Joe

Start stretching......being flexable will be a great help with being able to react quicker. I'm not saying that you have to do a full split save every time....god knows that I never have been able to do the splits in my life and never plan to.

Work for a good stance, nice and balanced that lets you react easily while taking away the angles the best you can.

Another tip that i can think of off the top of my head is to follow the puck. When you make a save, watch the puck hit you. follow it in to your body. It will help you keep your body in check and help you with balance.

trust me, i've seen worse goalies that you will be I'm sure of this. I have a couple friends in a beginner league and there is a 50+ year old guy on their team that shows up drunk to all their games. When he goes down into 'his butterfly' which is an inverted-v he tries to walk on his knees to recover so he basically stays in one place until one of his blades accidentally catches.

oh and being flexible is awesome... for soo many reasons :D

Funny, I was exactly in your position a few years ago (never played, overweight). Luckily, I got into hockey from friends who played, so I've always had guys to play with. If you don't have any buddies who play, check out the rinks around you, they probably have pickup games and/or clinics for beginners.

As far as fitness goes, just keep playing, you'll drop the weight pretty quickly. Wearing all the gear is like having a personal sauna. I agree with stretching. I always try to stretch before I play for about 45 minutes. Stretch your legs, hamstrings, groin, and back amongst other muscle groups. Drink a good amount of water.

As far as equipment goes, make sure you're well protected. Unless you plan on playing a stand-up style, make sure you protect your knees. Having to sit out a month or more because of a bruised knee sucks.

Thanks for the info guys.

Im hoping to get to move t first shift sometime in the summer so i can actualy start playing(being that it seems adult hockey games around here are in the evening, and i work 3-11pm)

Stretching is a great idea though. I used to be in karate when i was youngers and was almost able to do a full split, but i have found that once u stop stretching you become less flexable than you were when you started, so i guess ill have some work to do.

Heres a questions though, even though i mess around having my girl shoot at me at home ( shes not a very good shot yet... lol ) Where should i be focusing??? SHould i be looking at her eyes,head, stick, or simply just keep my eyes glued to the puck?????? I know as being a player you should always keep your head up, but how does it work for the goalie???

And how can i learn the proper stances??? HAHA, maybe someone has a diagram???

Just a few things for a beginner to think about:

-Always stay square to the puck.

-It depends on the situation, but for the most part when shooters are out on the points and in the slot, you don't want to be deep in your crease. Challenge a bit and if you are square to the puck, you have the best chance to cut down the angle.

-Stretching is good.

-Most important is to have fun. If you aren't having fun... I don't even need to continue. This position of hockey is too expensive not to have fun.

Well, i wouldnt be thinking about playing hockey if i didnt think it was fun. Just wathcing on TV makes me want to try out all aspects of the game. I will probaly never play competative hockey, but id like to be a competative player by doing the best that I can.

Haha, ive learned to stay square to the puck and that i should come out of the crease to cut down angles from listening to the TC broadcasters, but what i think im looking for now is some basic help as to what the proper stances are for certain situations, what exactly a butterfly is, when to i drop down for a shot and when to stay on my feet. That kinda os stuff......... pretty much think as if i am a person that has never stood in front of a net..... what do i do now???? Hehe

best tips for a new keeper,

warm up properly

Stretch

dont shy away from the puck

Haha .. i wont shy..... i took one in the ear from my girl the other night.... hey, it didnt get past me :D But i coulnt hear much but ringing for a few mins..... lol

Well, i wouldnt be thinking about playing hockey if i didnt think it was fun. Just wathcing on TV makes me want to try out all aspects of the game. I will probaly never play competative hockey, but id like to be a competative player by doing the best that I can.

Haha, ive learned to stay square to the puck and that i should come out of the crease to cut down angles from listening to the TC broadcasters, but what i think im looking for now is some basic help as to what the proper stances are for certain situations, what exactly a butterfly is, when to i drop down for a shot and when to stay on my feet. That kinda os stuff......... pretty much think as if i am a person that has never stood in front of a net..... what do i do now???? Hehe

the best way to learn is to get out there+ try, I played goal for a few seasons + that was just by padding up+ giving it a go, learn from your mistakes+ if you have a coach, listen to the advice they give

best tips for a new keeper,

warm up properly

Stretch

dont shy away from the puck

Haha .. i wont shy..... i took one in the ear from my girl the other night.... hey, it didnt get past me :D But i coulnt hear much but ringing for a few mins..... lol

I took a few under my arms a couple of times, that was because I forgot I had all the padding on!! :lol:

I made the same post on another forum, and a guy told me that at 24 years old and out of shape itsprobaly to late for me to be wanting to try out goaltending... should i listen to him????

I mean, are there people that actualy do get into goaltending in first time beginer leages at old ages???

you are never to old to try something new, if you work on your fitness+ flexibility there is no reason why you shouldnt become a decent keeper, I played rec hockey+ we had a 37 year old come+ start playing in goal, I think he is still going strong+ playing well

Haha, ive learned to stay square to the puck and that i should come out of the crease to cut down angles from listening to the TC broadcasters, but what i think im looking for now is some basic help as to what the proper stances are for certain situations, what exactly a butterfly is, when to i drop down for a shot and when to stay on my feet. That kinda os stuff.........  pretty much think as if i am a person that has never stood in front of a net.....  what do i do now????  Hehe

the best way to learn is to get out there+ try, I played goal for a few seasons + that was just by padding up+ giving it a go, learn from your mistakes+ if you have a coach, listen to the advice they give

You develop your style the more you play. As for stance, if you have your stick out about 8 in to a foot in front of your feet. keep your gloves out to the side and just a few inches in front of your body. the idea it to cover as much as the net as possible. Try watching some NHL goalies, IMHO many of them have some problem or another with their stance, but you will start to pick up on that. For instance My favorite has always been Potvin (Roy is still better tho) but his style was kinda dreadful at times. He use to hold his glove in front of him with the palm up, like he was catching a pop fly.

Once you start playing regularly you will pick up on mistakes and learn from them.

I made the same post on another forum, and a guy told me that at 24 years old and out of shape itsprobaly to late for me to be wanting to try out goaltending... should i listen to him????

I mean, are there people that actualy do get into goaltending in first time beginer leages at old ages???

Never too old. I started ice goalie two years ago when I was 24.

go to vaughnhockey.com and click on the "goaltending resources" link at the top. There's a lot of articles there that will really help you out (including one about the correct basic stance).

Potvin's stance is pretty good, but for your average beer-leaguer it might be too wide. The wider your skates are apart the harder it is for you to move laterally. As for playing butterfly style, make sure your knees are well padded (like I was saying before). The easiest way to perform the butterfly is to have a wide stance and have the straps on your pads fairly loose. When a shot comes in, you just basically kneel down, keeping your knees together while flaring out your skates. It'll take some time to get the move down, but just practice. As for timing, that's all experience, just keep playing and you'll get a feel for it.

You're never too old to start playing. That being said, unless you have some god given talent, you're probably not gonna make it to the NHL. But as far as playing in rec leagues and having fun, you're never too old. I first started playing when I was about 23/24.

Watch the pros and watch what they do, how they react, what moves they make and incorporate the best parts into your own personal style. Try new things, don't be afraid to make mistakes.

Great.... ive been checking out the vaughnhockey sire already, and its pretty good. Looks like ill be saving the butterfly to learn when i have my flexability level up .... right now, it doesnt work to well and dropping into it may make me cry.

Hahaha, im not thinking about going to the NHL... haha lets be realistic now ... i just want to have some fun and get in shape at the same time. Haha, now my son, haha, maybe he will be NHL material....

Can I just piggyback on this thread, rather than start another one. I currently am in the learning stages of playing hockey, and loving it. I used to be a goalie back home in Ireland for soccer, and thought my co-ordination/reflexes were pretty good.

I know its not the same, but if you have the reflexes and the likes, its a building block.

Say I want to try goalie, but don't have a ton of cash, can someone recommend the essentials for me, and what I can't afford to spend.

I am 6'3'', and about 235/240ish with a 38-40 waist.

How much from scratch could I start playing with? and what do I need

Pads

Blocker

Catcher

Skates

Cup

Chest Protector

Stick

Helmet

Whats the minimum price range I could get away with here, bear in mind I will be in an adult Beginner league, most likely HNA?

Thank you

I asked the same in a thread..think it's like a few spots down.

I also asked it somewhere else where I got more responses:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=233713

I'm looking at around $400 without skates and mask. Think those things will come later once I get some money...but that's just me. Trying to get some used stuff, but there's some noobie stuff out there that's low cost--like Mission Motion Pads for $99 last nite at hockeygiant! Cept they were gone when I went back to buy!!! Gah!!!

^^^ i hope your not thinking of playing ice hockey with those pads....

they will be fine for inline entry level though i would guess....

are you planning on playing on the street at all???

I plan on practicing indoors at my apratment, and outdoors when the weather is nice...... my ultimate goal is to get into ice hockey, but this wiil be good practice.....

these are the set of pads and stuff i picked up

http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...ategory_rn=1817

Im not sure really how these compare to the ones you posted, but maybe the guys here can help......

and e-puck is great, they charge a flat rate $8 shipping, even for big stuff like pads...

^^^ oh, to add to this, the catch glove is OK..... i mean, the lower price range stuff never fits and feels as nice as the good stuff, and it was hard to open and close at first, but i broke it and and im content with it for the price.... the blocker is a blocker, does the job and is comfortable....

the leg pads will be comming in next week, but i have seen them in person and they were pretty nice.....

If anyone cares, since i posted this thread i have been on a diet,and stretching and whatnot.... im starting to get more flexable, and havelost oamost 20lbs in the fast 5 weeks....

i practice in my living room with my fiancee shooting at me.... she doesnt shoot wicked hard, but when the shot is comming from 6 feet away its still pretty chalenging(sp) ...