Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rande

Going into the boards and corners

Hello MSH!

I got some questions and i hope that you could give me the advice i need!

Im an average hockeyplayer, playing since 2 years and im doing well (if i compare it to other guys who play like 5-8 years) but theres one thing i need help with:

Going into the boards and into the corners.

I just cant. :huh:

I feel like i am inhibited (sp?) and i just poke with my stick on the puck and look like a newbee.

I dont know why.. Maybe its the fear to get crushed (even when there is someone in the boards and i skate towards my opponent) - its just in the "back of the head" that i could get crushed or something like that.

Also, i dont have ANY power in my arms. When im in the boards i (have to?) angle my arms to reach the puck but i cant get any power/pressure on the stick, dont know why.

Hope you can help me !

Thank you guys.

As for going into the corners, you just have to man up and go in. You might get hit but most likely the stronger you go in and the more confident you look the other guy will back down (if this is a non-check rec league). Rarely have I had anyone contest me in the corners when I skate hard to the puck. If they are coming hard as well, you just have to be ready for a hit. Try to dodge the hit if you can - either scoot or twist out of the way, or duck down.

What do you mean about your arms? If your upper body is weak, you can always work on it, but if you have a hard shot or can deliver hard passes, this should not be a problem. From the sound of it, it may just be your angle. Obviously you can't come into the corner directly at the puck. You need to be off to the side so you can get your stick out at a normal angle, although you should position your body when you go in so that you are between the puck and the opposing player, regardless of the angle. If the angle is bad, you can kick the puck up to your stick.

One of the top traits NHL scouts look for in a player is the ability to play without fear.

Samurai warriors would accept their own death before a battle, in fact choosing death over life, and that way they conquered their fear and could vanquish their opponents.

And everyone knows what a Klingon warrior would say: "Today IS a good day to die!"

You have to overcome your fear of the corners. Just go in there and get the job done! Mix it up, work, work, work, don't ever give up until you have the puck on your or a team mate's stick. You might have to do it over and over and over until you are used to it. After a while you will see that it is not so bad. A little while longer, and people might be saying "look at that guy, he is fearless". You still might not like going in the boards, but no one will be able to tell that by the way you act!

I'm not the best at going into the corners and along the boards, but the guys who are best at it use their body to shield the puck. The biggest mistake I see beginners make is they don't bend their knees and get pinned against the boards where they can't make a play with their stick.

If you get to the puck first you have to be aware of who's coming in behind you, and often you have to make contact with an opponent before trying to touch the puck with your stick, in order to get position. In a non-check league, obviously you can't throw a full body check but you can lean on the guy. You don't want to go in with your back turned to an opponent, but if you can get in between him and the puck, with your shoulders turned parallel to the boards and bracing yourself for an impact, you are protecting yourself and the puck as much as possible.

If the opponent gets to the puck before you do, you can try to lean on him and pin him against the boards to tie him up. Then go to work!

Oh, there are techniques to learn. Lets say an large opponent is against the boards (facing the boards, back to you) and you want to pin him there. Skate up behind him, place your left knee between his legs and press it towards the boards, put your stick in front of him with your right arm and hold on with the left arm. You can waltz him around all night. A little guy could keep Chara there with the right technique.

If it looks like you are going to get a penalty, let up a little, let him move a few feet, then put the hammer down again.

Rande-

Some great advice given so far...If you live in the NY area, try to watch some Ranger games as well and Jagr. How he goes against the boards and controls the puck. There are many differences between the average player like us and him, sure. But the same concepts of puck protection are there.

Great advice, try to watch the NHL players you like and those like Jagr and Kovalev who always find a way to get out of the corners with the puck.

Rande-

Some great advice given so far...If you live in the NY area, try to watch some Ranger games as well and Jagr. How he goes against the boards and controls the puck. There are many differences between the average player like us and him, sure. But the same concepts of puck protection are there.

lol yeah did you watch jagr's great demonstration of going into the corners against finland?

Admirable

Rande-

Some great advice given so far...If you live in the NY area, try to watch some Ranger games as well and Jagr.  How he goes against the boards and controls the puck.  There are many differences between the average player like us and him, sure.  But the same concepts of puck protection are there.

Great advice, try to watch the NHL players you like and those like Jagr and Kovalev who always find a way to get out of the corners with the puck.

I think Peter Forsberg is the best at getting the puck in the corners and controlling it. Jagr normally has someone go in the corners for him in NY, not that it makes him less of a player, but it's smart as he's the most talented so don't tire him out more than he has to be!

Make sure you "swoop" in at an angle. You dont want to skate at it like you're running towards a wall. That's just asking to get hurt, and your body knows it, so that's why you're scared likely.

some things i do when i go to the boards is to first protect myself.. so if me and another guy are in a foot race for it then i'll go in first towards the boards so that the puck is between me and the boards only. then cut in to either hit him first or at least knock him away before i even touch the puck. i see some of the faster nhlers do it all the time. oh and remember to get as close to the boards are you can when taking a hit and make sure your side is facing the player coming towards you and not your back or even your front.

bottom line... go in fast and hit him before he hits you or at least slow him down.. play the player first instead of the puck.

Rande-

Some great advice given so far...If you live in the NY area, try to watch some Ranger games as well and Jagr.  How he goes against the boards and controls the puck.  There are many differences between the average player like us and him, sure.  But the same concepts of puck protection are there.

I think Peter Forsberg is the best at getting the puck in the corners and controlling it. Jagr normally has someone go in the corners for him in NY, not that it makes him less of a player, but it's smart as he's the most talented so don't tire him out more than he has to be!

Make sure you "swoop" in at an angle. You dont want to skate at it like you're running towards a wall. That's just asking to get hurt, and your body knows it, so that's why you're scared likely.

You can't be for real or you haven't watched many Ranger games this year. Every game is is along the boards controlling the puck. Probably top 5 ever in protecting the puck in tight spaces. Same with Forsberg.

I'm not saying he doesn't do it... but I thought Forsberg is a better example.

if you bend your knees, keep your feet moving, and keep yourself aware of the other guy ( head up) you'll be fine. Most of the people who get crunched in the corners either didn't see the guy coming or were standing straight up and got knocked on their ass for it.

as I tell the lads that I coach, its better to angle yourself into the boards+ not just skate straight into them, that and keep your head up