Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeyherb

How do I play Right Wing?

I'm playing right wing this year in my beer league after having played my whole youth as a defencemen. (I need some glory in my later years!)

Looking for any general suggestions on positioning, what makes a good RW, etc. Thanks.

in your own end, take care of your man (left D) and you already know where you expect your RW to be for outlet passes. Other than that, it's a matter of fitting in with the other guys on your line and the system that you are going to play. On the forecheck and backcheck we always push the puck to the boards, it's a lot safer to have it there than the middle of the ice.

are you a left or right handed shot? I play some right wing and some center in my league. I'd say from a centers position I'd like my right wing to be prepared to cover high slot to points in the defensive zone and be ready for a clearing pass off the boards. Be able to get the puck in the corner and have enough hockey sense not to try and center it immediatly. Alot of good chances come from great passing so in the corners look to bank it up to defensemen or behind the goal to move the opposition around. I see alot of beer league guys get in the corners and throw it right to the top of the crease. This usually ends up in a turnover.

I shoot right.

It's my first year playing beer league so I'm sure it's not going to be even close to this, but I loved watching all of the Olympic hockey. The way the good teams moved the puck around in the offensive zone was amazing. Some teams were happy spending as much time passing behind the net to create openings as they do out front.

I think you're right that too often people just want to fire it in the slot and hope someone is there to take a shot. I think I'll be more liley to put it back to the point than a lot of wingers - that was something you would see a lot in pro levels too.

I think I'll be more liley to put it back to the point than a lot of wingers - that was something you would see a lot in pro levels too.

I do the same when I play up instead of defense. Our d-men get a lot of chances on those nights. Just make sure you look first.

being a right handed shot the one-timer from across your body will be difficult. I'd focus more on getting the top shelf shot perfected or be ready to feed a pass right back across the crease for an easy tip in goal. I'm right handed as well and one bonus you'll have is most of the time you'll be on your forehand in an offensive rush situation. this will help with passing accuracy or if you wanna pick off a corner. One thing I am focusing on more myself is the pass back to the point. many times wingers forget about the pass back or don't trust themselves or the defense to drop one back. Moving the puck will increase the scoring chances and rack up the assists, when teammates unleash a shot, go to the net and put yourself in scoring position. Alot of points will come from rebounds and other "garbage" goals.

As a career d-man you probably already know this: when your d gets possession of the puck down low, as a winger don't just turn and head up ice. Lots of times the d regain possession of the puck below the goal line, look for a forward to pass to and they're all in a different zip code. Give your d-men a target for an outlet pass to start the breakout.

When I play RW instead of D I really try to concentrate on my defensive zone coverage. One little tip is when you are in your defensive zone position yourself halfway between the face off circle and the blueline with your butt facing the boards keeping a distance approx 2-3ft away from the boards. This way you will be able to watch the play and your check the left side D. This position enables you to do many things-keep an eye on the D, get a pass up the boards, and help out down low a bit. Nothing worse than watching the D man sneak past you in the high slot and get an easy one because you had you back towards him. In the offensive zone I chip it in, forecheck agressively, board play, and crash the net. On the back check I just try to "gently" impede a breakout out of their zone. Nothing pretty.

make sure when you are breaking out that the defenceman can hit you with a pass when you are at your full speed. Nothing worse then passing to a winger who is standing still

Great tips everyone!

We're in a non-checking league since we're fragile old men (well 30's anyway) and I was wondering if people prefer to do a dump and go in the offensive end or carry the puck over the blue line and try to setup a play?

I would guess the dump and chase works better when you can smash the D guy into the boards and take him out of the play.

Great tips everyone!

We're in a non-checking league since we're fragile old men (well 30's anyway) and I was wondering if people prefer to do a dump and go in the offensive end or carry the puck over the blue line and try to setup a play?

I would guess the dump and chase works better when you can smash the D guy into the boards and take him out of the play.

probably depends on how the D you are attacking are playing. If they're loose you probably should skate in and set up a play and or shoot and try to get a rebound out to whoever should be crashing the net. if they're playing tight near the line, dumping it would be the best choice.

Great tips everyone!

You don't really have to worry about a guy standing you up with a big hit at the line, so carrying the puck isn't such a bad thing. That said, you can still put a lot of pressure on a defenseman without hitting him, so that method works for some teams. I only tend to dump the puck so I can change or if I can put it where I think my guys will get first.

make sure when you are breaking out that the defenceman can hit you with a pass when you are at your full speed. Nothing worse then passing to a winger who is standing still

Very good point, but one thing that you will learn over time is when to just dump it. It is always worth icing the puck rather then giving them possesion, especially in your own zone. Thats the problem with our team, we cant get it out because a winger is sitting along the boards waiting for a pass and the D will see that coming step up and either drop him or intercept, poke check. When your on wing make sure you have enough room to catch a pass coming from the D on the break out before you call for it or make eye contact. sometimes eyecontact with the D on your own team will get you a pass.

It depends a lot on your linemates as well. I am 38 years old so I know what you mean being fragile. When I play with guys my own age typically they tend to stand around a lot, recieving passes standing still so I basically dump and chase. Try to overload one side. When I play with kids or older guys that like to skate we set up plays-give ad go's, delays, etc. Sometimes we look like we actually know what we are doing. The important thing at our age is to have fun with the sport. Yeah, its nice to excel but got to have fun. I just spent the last year beating myself up for not getting better-that sucked. Now I am actually playing better now that I am not so serious about my game. I am having fun again and so should you. Remember, we pay to play versus getting paid to play. :rolleyes:

Now I am actually playing better now that I am not so serious about my game. I am having fun again and so should you. Remember, we pay to play versus getting paid to play.

That's a great point I have to remember. When our captain sent out our first email introduction he explained the situation of who brings beer, so that tells me I shouldn't be too concerned about playing at a really high level! It's a bunch of guys that just want to get out, shoot some pucks and have beers.

Fine by me!

That's a great point I have to remember. When our captain sent out our first email introduction he explained the situation of who brings beer, so that tells me I shouldn't be too concerned about playing at a really high level! It's a bunch of guys that just want to get out, shoot some pucks and have beers.

Fine by me!

Ha -- you're playing in the Chap Ice league, aren't you? :D

What team are you on?

I play right wing for my local team+ I end up battling for the puck a lot, the thing youve got to remember when covering on d is not to get caught napping but be ready to break out quickly, apart from that just do what comes naturally

That's a great point I have to remember.  When our captain sent out our first email introduction he explained the situation of who brings beer, so that tells me I shouldn't be too concerned about playing at a really high level!  It's a bunch of guys that just want to get out, shoot some pucks and have beers.

Fine by me!

Ha -- you're playing in the Chap Ice league, aren't you? :D

What team are you on?

Come on - what gave it away? It can't be the only Beer league in the country!

Team Dahl - it won't be too hard to tell who I am based on my username either!

Come on - what gave it away?  It can't be the only Beer league in the country!

Team Dahl - it won't be too hard to tell who I am based on my username either!

Nah, the part about just recently getting the beer assignments from your captain tipped me -- and then I checked your location in your profile. ;)

You're in the B league, though, so we won't be playing each other. (I'm on McNearney.) :)

Well at least it's nice to know some other guys from Chap league are on the board. Good luck in your game Sunday.

Thanks to all the suggestions from everyone. In my first game at RW I had 1 G, 2 A (and a cross check minor but that guy REALLY was asking for it :P ) and we won 4-2!!