Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

Taking ice shavings off your skate every shift

I only do it when I change on a whistle. That way I take time getting out on the ice and I have a chance to stomp my steel on the ice to knock off the snow. I know I could break my steel but I've never broken a pair of steel in my life, so why worry now?

Obviously no one knows why they do it except to speculate that it is just out of habit. I wonder if the shaved ice on the blade perhaps makes the steel colder and keeps it from melting the ice as quickly (regarding that article about melting layer from another topic)...

I wonder if any of the chemicals they use in the ice affect the edge. Keeping the blades warmer sounds like a good theory too.

Actually I find it has to do with a couple things when the snow messes up your skating. Either the rink is usually really cold, so the snow almost freezes to your blade. Or the chemicals make it freeze really easily, again almost making the snow freeze to your skate.

I always end up taking it all off in the locker room and end up with a puddle of slush under my feet when im taking off my equipment. :(

But I clean off my stick blade after every shift if that counts.

Actually I find it has to do with a couple things when the snow messes up your skating. Either the rink is usually really cold, so the snow almost freezes to your blade. Or the chemicals make it freeze really easily, again almost making the snow freeze to your skate.

You will find that snow clings to your blade more in warmer rinks than in colder rinks. Wet snow sticks, dry snow doesn't.

Now that I cut my skates to 3/4, I notice a lot more snow on my blades. I did end up fricking slicing my damned finger clearing the snow off! I don't even know how it happened. So anyway, I will clear snow with my glove on from now on.. worked just as well.

Also, I noticed that when I did clear it, I felt that I could feel the difference when making sharp turns.

So I'm not crazy then. I thought I could tell the difference. I also use a 3/4" cut. I never considered the blades being warmer too. I'm gonna keep doing it then. Not that I was ever going to stop anyway. :D

What they do is store up the shavings, and during the break they make a delicious snow cone!

YUMMMM

i was thinking probably supersticions(sp???), sometimes i do stupid things like that, i guess im supersticious

one less thing for me to carry by leaving the towel in the lockerroom, if you go slow and are careful you won't slice your finger and if you do it won't even draw blood. Since most of the cuts you get is from the debris that the skate picked up.

However, you're correct a towel would be the easiest was to protect ones hands and gloves if they wanted to remove the ice buildup on their runners.