Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gongshow11

Need some help

Well my mom just asked me if I could help her friend's son learn to skate, he is 8 yrs old. I figured sure why not, as it will involve being paid, but I was just wondering, since he's never skated before, what should I do to teach him? Like fundamentals? I'm realy not sure what to do.

thanks

I'd get him to start walking around with skates on to get his ankles used to them. That and I'd tell him not to hide toy cars under his toque in case he falls, but that's just personal experience.

At that age he needs to be comfortable on skates. Let him get the feel for it and be comfortable with falling. Dont worry to much about his stride and what not.

Let him simply get the feel. Second time around have him do the one step stride. Just push off with one foot over and over again.

This seemed to work for me when I taught kids that age.

If he can't skate at all, strap two plastic milk cases together and let him push around the rink.

If he can skate a little, get him a helmet and some hockey pants and have him skate around. Have him use shorts strides, knees bent a little, back fairly upright, and try to get him to balance momentarily on one skate and then another. He will learn that he has to shift his weight to the left when he is gliding on the left skate, and to the right when he is gliding on the right skate.

When he can glide for a full second on either skate, you can start to teach him the full correct stride.

I know from experience that having ill-fitting skates will easily deter youngsters from learning how to skate. Also, I'd suggest not-too-sharp edges since he'll want to learn how to stop sooner than later, and that'll involve getting a feel for scraping the ice without worries about catching an edge. Also, head-up always. Keep his attention focused on moving and not at his feet, looking around. I see so many kids at public skating almost crash into each other because they have tunnel vision.

I agree with biff44 on the safety gear as well.

Like the "milk carton" method...it is handy to learn pushing a chair...gives the beginer something to hold on to and allows the smaller beginner to vary where he puts his/her hands and helps control how upright they need to be to find their balance. This will help in teaching the fundemental pushing angles with the feet and knees.

Gradually the balance will come as some sense of edges, and centering of the weight becomes necessary just to push the chair. A wooden chair, like an old school chair, works well with the sliders on the bottom.

Having the chair to hang on to allows you to teach a bit more of the knee bend as well as the foot angles..without worrying so much about falling down. Occasionally as the learner gets more comfortable..take the chair away..just out of the reach of the hands.... a helmet is a must, and knee pads also help with the confidence.

Most rinks around here won't let you bring chairs or milk crates on the ice because of their insurance policies. They do often have cheaters to hold on to while learning to skate.

My problem with the aids is that the kid will think everyone is looking at them. Its all about confidence in what you are doing at this point. Heck if a 6 year old girl can get by without one an 8 year old boy should be fine as well. Just my opinion based on experiences.

Its not really about image though....it's about learning better and faster...of course it can be done without, but it can be done better with. You can use yourself as the cheater of course, and have the beginner hold on to your waist and do the same thing..it's just harder to see what they are doing.

Once they have mastered a little balance then you could start them on a "toe out" step across. which emphasizes the leg flex necessary to skate well and really helps balance and flexibility. Basically walking or stepping with the toe turned as close to 90 degreees to the direction of travel as possible. Emphasize the leg lift. This will help them get centered on their skates for balance, as well as start them feeling their edges.

Guest Datsyuk*13

THe olnly method ive really seen is the chair. But i heard its not good to do that cuz then they learn to skate really bent over and then when you take away thats how they skate. I dunno if that makes sense or not but i heard that from a few people.

THe olnly method ive really seen is the chair. But i heard its not good to do that cuz then they learn to skate really bent over and then when you take away thats how they skate. I dunno if that makes sense or not but i heard that from a few people.

I heard the same thing too.

I think there is not really a way to learn someone skating. Just put him some protection and just try to make him have fun being on the ice. The more he will be on the ice the more he will gain in balance, confidance and power.

Once he gain some balance, you can show him some basic technique.

Guest Datsyuk*13

Unless the chair is tall enough that he doesnt have to bend over, then i think that using a chair would be fine.

I used to use a bar stool to keep me upright but that really didn't have anything to do with being on the ice. ;)

Number 1 thing is to make the learning fun! Use your knowledge and start out with small tasks that are achievable for his ability, so that he takes pride in his small accomplishments and realizes that he can improve. Teaching can be fun for you to so set yourself goals to have him reach and figure out how to get him there. Having goals and a plan can mean the difference between success and failure. Hope this helps because Im sure if you play hockey already the knowledge to teach skating is alredy there.