Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Nike Apollo

Test Product: Nike Quest Apollo, 87 flex, lefthand, Jackman/Legwand Pattern

Test Subject: 5' 10", 190 lbs. of twisted steel and sex appeal

Inital: For all the bashing that nike took in its early Ignite days, it has certainly made up for recently. Some people may be turned off by the swoowsh, or the peaches and cream paint job, but this stick is the real thing. I was looking for a nice Sakic like toe curve, and a flexier stick when i happened acrosss the Apollo. It had everything i was looking for.

Flex: 87, and it is all of that. The thing Ive noticed about all Apollo's is the distinct flex when taking a slapshot. You actually feel the stick flex, and return to normal. 10/10

Stickhandling/Shooting: Having used an XN10, i can't say this stick beats it in velocity, but its close. wristshots are wonderful, slapshots are rockets, and the added flex doesnt send shots in all directions. The blade holds up well, but is not too hard. Stickhandling is a breeze, especially with the Legwand/Jackman. 9.5/10

Weight/Balance: Earlier models of Apollo's were a bit heavier. This series weighs in at 490 according to the catalog, but its just as light as any synergy Ive ever used. Balance is perfect, no complaints here. 10/10

Durability: The paint chips, big deal. The blade is the nicest of any OPS Ive ever used. right up there with the Nemesis, XN10, and Eclipse. The shaft has been slashed, slashed with, hacked, fallen on, and abused, and still comes back for more. I wish i could meet a girl so resilient. 10 times on the ice, and its as nice as it was the first minute. 9.5/10

Intangibles: The concave feel is sweet. I dare say this stick is perfect.

Overall: 9.5/10

Anyone considering this stick should give it a serious try. You will not be sorry.

Available in these patterns: Jackman (sakic), Brind'Amour (Lidstrom), PL106, P91 (Drury), and PM9 (Modano)

Product- Nike Appollo, 102 flex, lemuix curve right

Subject- 5'8" 150 lbs.

Inital- This stick is not bad at all. I it very light for not a brand hockey name stick. I was looking for a back-up stick for my Si-Core, i bought a M-1 and its horrible. The weight was terrible compared to the Si-Core. I was looking for something light and durable. It turned out to be perfect, and without a long taper if i break it i can turn it into a 2 piece.

Flex- Probably the worst thing about this stick. It is very stiff. I use a 110 flex SiCore and that has less flex then this stick so. 5/10

StickHandling/Shooting- Because or the stiff flex my slapshot was not really up to par. Being a defencemen this didnt help, but my wrist shot was wicked. Stick handling was a breze. Toe drags were easier and i pulled of my first ever mighigan move when :D when i thought some1 stole my si-core but i just misplaced it :ph34r: 9/10

Weight- Not bad at all. Not as light as a TPS xn10 but not far away, judging that my si-core is 450 grams this stick is about 480-500 grams but the balance is very good. It evens out at about where you put your lower hand. 8/10

Durability- Very very nice. Used in one game but i always get slashed and hooked, after the game saw no sign at all of wear.

Overall- 8.5/10 looking for a nice stick under $100 definetly give this stick a try.

Product: Nike Apollo OPS - 87 Flex, PM9 Pattern

Subject: 17, 5'11" 155lbs.

Initial Observations/Thoughts: After hearing/reading some good reviews on the stick, I jumped on the opportunity to buy a bunch when I found them "Buy one, get one." I can't say I was crazy about the color scheme, but it's not something that I was going to get hung-up on - c'mon, they're hockey sticks. I cut them down to the top of my chest, taped them up and hit the ice...

Flex: Initially, this was a major problem for me. I had been using extremely whippy sticks for the last few years, so making the adjustment to the 87 was pretty tough for me. I made some adjustments, and came to like the stiffer flex. Once I was acclimated a little more, I was pretty impressed with the way I could feel the lower part of the shafts kick through just about every shot I took. 8/10

Stickhandling/Feel: Pretty damn good. Comparable to the Inno 1100. The blades are remarkably receptive. I can feel exactly where the puck is on the stick blade, which always makes the sick dangle, or the navigation through traffic, a little easier. 9/10

Shooting: Again, I had some issues with the sticks when I first got them, and seriously thought about giving-up on them all together. But, after a few practices/open hockey sessions, I started to learn the fine art of shooting with a stiffer twig. While it does seem like I have to try to little harder to put a little more "oomph" into each shot then I have with other sticks, I'm now able to consistantly shoot bullets with these. Not quite as awesome as my late XN10s, or even my old True-1s, but still pretty good. 8/10

Weight/Balance: Meh. Decent. A little blade heavy, but, like almost anything else, it's something that is easily adjusted to. Good solid weight. Really not too light, and not too heavy. 8/10

Durability: Coming from the XN10s, I was a little frustrated (first two sticks broke in the first week - both replacements broke three weeks after I got them). I have been pretty pleased with the Apollos. Of the six that I bought, I have four left after a full summer of hockey being on the ice about 10 hours a week. The two I chucked didn't break, but the blades just got a little too soft for my liking. The remaining sticks are holding up extremely well, and they don't seem to be weakening at all. 9.5/10

Intangibles: The shafst has a good feel to them. Not bad at all.

Conclusion: Good sticks. Worth $150 each, nevermind two of them for that price. I really like them a lot, and will probably be buying more when these go...9/10.