Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HDragons73

Eating breakfast before games

I've had a few early games lately, and I seem to suck alot more than at later games. I don't want to eat too much that I'll throw up, or not enough that I have no energy at all. I've been eating mostly lighter breakfasts before the game if any, and results haven't been good. I tried eating a lot once, and that wasn't too great either. So, what does everyone else eat before early games?

I usually have a bottle of water and a Powerbar or two. How early are we talking here? I remember a while back, someone thought 9:30 was an early game. If its around 7ish, I wouldn't suggest eating a lot, unless you plan on getting up at aroud 5.

i used to play early morning drop in twice every week (7am games). i found that getting up around 530, eating a very light meal, very light, with water, works. sometimes i would not eat at all either.

I tend to stay away from anything too sugary for "breakfast" before 7am pickup games. It's more of a snack since I sometimes have a cereal bar and some water. I also avoid milk and juice. I als try eating well the night before. Then there are days I'm fine without breakfast before playing.

Everyone has unique metabolism, so you have to experiment around a little. Try a big bowl of old fashion oatmeal (not the 1 minute instant kind, but the kind you have to boil for 5 minutes). It has lots of carbs, but they are in a form that takes a long time to absorb, so they should stay with you thru the game but not load you down. You could add a little peanut butter for added protein if that does not get you all the way thru the game.

I don't really go for toast but I have to second bananas. My main thing to eat right before (not for like meal 3 hours before, I am talking RIGHT before here) a game is 2 bananas and an orange. Really seems to give a nice jolt of energy. I would also reccomend eating one of these in the intermission of your game (if you have one).

hehe, this morning I had 2 big orders of pancakes from IHOP around 9:30 before a 11:00 high school roller game. Man, I could feel all those pancakes, eggs, bacon and hash browns all weighing me down! :P <_< lol I kept on feeling this syrup taste coming up in my throat and felt like I was gonna throw up. We ended up losing 10-6, I got 4 but I know if I hadn't been feeling all sick then I coulda got a few more. :angry:

Toast and a banana, I usually get that before any game no matter the time.

I was going to suggest the exact same thing. That's all I used to eat before volleyball tournaments with early games.

When you have to eat right before a game, eat foods you are familiar with. It's not the time to experiment with Thai or something. Also, make sure you can absorb it quickly like juice, bananas, yogurt. Foods like bread that fill you up will give you that puking sensation. The food's sitting in your stomach because your body's using blood cells for playing hockey, not for digestion. When you're stomach's not having it, it comes back up. So make sure it's familiar and it absorbs. Digestion takes longer in the morning than at night. I suggest eating carbs (pasta) the night before so that you have fuel in the tank.

Guest Josee

yea ddont eat food that takes long or you dont know it really well jus eat what you usually eat in the morning

I've recently started taking cold showers at the end of my regular morning showers, especially before a game or workout in the morning. It speeds up your metabolism and I've found that it helped me digest quicker, so I have a protein bar, banana, and water the morning of. I also drink the water about 30 minutes after eating to let the food digest without the water diluting my stomach acids. Try it out.