Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Sharks - Canucks debacle

Actually, I've always hated local announcers because they are always so biased.  It's like every penalty against their team is a bad call and their team can do no wrong.  I've found that the sharks announcers are generally pretty honest in how they call things.  They give all the local information and but when the sharks do something stupid they call it like it is.

The color commentator, Drew Remenda, used to be an assistant coach with the Sharks and yes, he gets very critical of the Sharks play at times.

1 ain't gettin it done. They need 2 every night since 2 weeks ago. Edmonton has done them a favor by not getting on track in the stretch, also.

Last 10 games-

Sharks- 7-2-1

Avs- 5-3-2

Oilers- 5-4-1

Canucks- 4-4-2

I thought the Oilers were going to do better, but Roloson seems to be fighting the puck still and not used to the places the Oilers give up shots.

I think the Canucks are playing with more heart lately but just not getting the bounces. They had a few lapses in concentration, too. Jovanovski's return must have been inspirational.

So, now it's the Oilers and Canucks for the final spot, 2 games remaining for each team, and the importance of that 3-game mini-playoff before lived up to its hype.

Kevin,

I think Roloson has been a bit of a disappointment. Just my opinion. The #1 pick was a steep price to pay. I know I'm not an NHL GM so I really don't have any idea but.........

5 months ago I never would have picked Canucks to be in this position today. The Oilers have run hot and cold all year. That is no mystery. Its about to get late real early.

Kevin,

I think Roloson has been a bit of a disappointment. Just my opinion. The #1 pick was a steep price to pay. I know I'm not an NHL GM so I really don't have any idea but.........

5 months ago I never would have picked Canucks to be in this position today. The Oilers have run hot and cold all year. That is no mystery. Its about to get late real early.

It takes alot of goalies some time to come into a new team and get used to his team. When the Leafs signed Belfour he was booed during the entire exhibition schedule of his first season because of weak goals and miscommunication with his D. I've seen both from Roloson. I think he's a better goalie than he's showing, but he was never what they needed.

I still hold out hope for Vancouver, they have so many weapons, but just haven't put it together yet. I could see them going deep into the playoffs if it clicks, or I can see them getting swept (if they even make it).

Kevin,

It takes alot of goalies some time to come into a new team and get used to his team. When the Leafs signed Belfour he was booed during the entire exhibition schedule of his first season because of weak goals and miscommunication with his D. I've seen both from Roloson. I think he's a better goalie than he's showing, but he was never what they needed.

I still hold out hope for Vancouver, they have so many weapons, but just haven't put it together yet. I could see them going deep into the playoffs if it clicks, or I can see them getting swept (if they even make it).

Eazy_b97:

You're a Leafs fan, IIRC. At the beginning of the season, who would have thought that the two Canadian teams to not make the playoffs would be the Leafs and the Canucks?

DarkStar50:

You have a good point about Roloson's being a bit of a disappointment. Maybe it's the different role he has; in Minnesota he was in a tandem serving as the last line of defense on a team that forms a shell in the defensive zone, and on the Oilers there are more odd-man rushes against and he is the clear #1. But, all good goalies will adjust, like Belfour did in Toronto.

I was a sink or swim Leafs fan. I figure we'd be in Buffalo's spot, or we'd be in St. Louis situation. Instead the young guys played good enough to hold our head above water, while the older guys played bad enough to keep us out of the playoffs. I'm just shocked with the 'Nucks. I had no idea thier lines would fall-apart, I expected a big season from their "top" line, while Cloutier should have been good enough to get'em a good seed in the West.

Anyone watch this game?

This may be the most poorly officiated professional hockey game I have seen since the 04 cup. The Sharks announcers are going nuts and are annoying but they do have a point.

I have to agree with you. Now the head of officiating needs to do his job and discipline the refs for that game. The Sedin's held sharks players behind the Sharks net multiple times and got no calls. That game was a joke.

I agree that the head of officiating needs to step up and make refs accountable for their calls and performance. It's an issue that has needed to be addressed for years, such as back during the Canucks last playoff appearance against Detroit. I've often said to my friends that Kerry Fraser should have more Stanley Cup rings that the rest of the league combined, since he's helped more teams win them than anyone else.

If you look back at the video that the league released prior to this year, you can see how much the refs are already letting go. On a different thread last week, I was commenting how the trap had damaged the game. I think that in some ways, referees have done more to contribute to hockey's problems than anything else. For years, the league instructs the officials to change how they call the game, and the refs let things slide.

I should add in their defence that I can't imagine how difficult it must be to control and call a game at that level, with hot-headed millionaires barking at you for every call you make, and professional cheap-shot artists lurking behind every play.

I agree that the head of officiating needs to step up and make refs accountable for their calls and performance. It's an issue that has needed to be addressed for years, such as back during the Canucks last playoff appearance against Detroit. I've often said to my friends that Kerry Fraser should have more Stanley Cup rings that the rest of the league combined, since he's helped more teams win them than anyone else.

If you look back at the video that the league released prior to this year, you can see how much the refs are already letting go. On a different thread last week, I was commenting how the trap had damaged the game. I think that in some ways, referees have done more to contribute to hockey's problems than anything else. For years, the league instructs the officials to change how they call the game, and the refs let things slide.

I should add in their defence that I can't imagine how difficult it must be to control and call a game at that level, with hot-headed millionaires barking at you for every call you make, and professional cheap-shot artists lurking behind every play.

It's one thing to miss a cheap shot behind the play. It's entirely different to miss a guy with a handful of jersey for 10 seconds while the guy being held has the puck. NHL referees don;t have to worry about offsides, icings or even goals thanks to video review and goal judges. They only need to watch for penalties and they aren't even doing that right.

Even though these referees have worked their way to the top, until we skate in their skates reffing an NHL game, we have no idea what really goes on at ice level in the NHL. Add up the speed, the intensity, and the split second they have to make a decision, its a tough job. I am not making excuses for these guys, just trying to imagine how brutally difficult it must be through 7, 8 months of NHL games. I did not see this disaster of a game last night so I am in no way overlooking last nights hatchet job. If you read the article a few weeks ago in The Hockey News about what goes on in Toronto every night in the NHL War Room where the league guys watch every game, I am sure the NHL guys were on the horn to Vancouver the nminute those officials hit the chairs in the referee locker room after that game.

I'm not so sure, sometimes I wonder if the NHL likes those games because it shows they aren't being pushed around by the players. That's the only explanation I can come up with when I see Fraser reffing HUGE playoff games.

The officiating last night seemed like older than old school NHL style, I hadn't seen that much FLAGRANT clutching and grabbing with no call ever (on both sides). The ref (I forgot his name but my girlfriend HATES this guy), was right there and there was no call. I would understand if it was like some rookie getting held up like that, but I would say that Thornton is a fairly established guy in the league.

I really hope this doesn't continue into the playoffs.

Bill McCreary (sp?) was reffing. The announcers kept saying "Come on Bill, make a call!" It was pretty bad. One of the Sedin triplets had a handful of Thornton's shirt for quite a while, then a stick in the middle of his midsection after that and no call.

Even though these referees have worked their way to the top, until we skate in their skates reffing an NHL game, we have no idea what really goes on at ice level in the NHL. Add up the speed, the intensity, and the split second they have to make a decision, its a tough job. I am not making excuses for these guys, just trying to imagine how brutally difficult it must be through 7, 8 months of NHL games. I did not see this disaster of a game last night so I am in no way overlooking last nights hatchet job. If you read the article a few weeks ago in The Hockey News about what goes on in Toronto every night in the NHL War Room where the league guys watch every game, I am sure the NHL guys were on the horn to Vancouver the nminute those officials hit the chairs in the referee locker room after that game.

If they called between periods, they only made it worse.

I guess McCreary isn't interested in doing playoffs. Sorry to hear he was one of the refs. I meant to check the box score to find out who the officials were.

I guess McCreary isn't interested in doing playoffs. Sorry to hear he was one of the refs. I meant to check the box score to find out who the officials were.

Referees

Bill McCreary, Dan O'Halloran.

Linesmen

Brad Lazarowich, Vaughan Rody.

Linesmen did a great job.