Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Treo

I just got one and I love it. Email works great, and I can approve MSH members as well. Too bad the phone's defective, but I'm having fun with it until I get my replacement. I'm looking at stuff I can do to it (Genesis emulator, NHL 95 here I come!) so any feedback would be appreciated.

check out this site, www.howardforums.com amazing cellphone site, has lots of cool tricks you can do with your phone. And info on ways to fully customise it in ways I can't even explain, check it out.

I had a treo 700 for a bit. Good phone. I am not to happy with the Palm OS though. I am currently using a Cingular 8125 (made by HTC, it is a rebranded HTC Wizard), it runs on Windows Mobile 5. I dont really like WM5 either, but I prefer it to the palm. It may be because I am more farmiliar with it. It is surprisingly pretty stable and powerfull. TC is probably your best bet for treo talk.

sorry typo, I had the 650 for about 3 months, good phone, just not what I needed... the keyboard annoyed me

And what problems was he having?

Mostly poor reception and dropped calls. I just talked to Steve and his new company told him to get one and he has the same problems. His freebie LG gets better reception than his Treo.

My old Nokia got better reception than anything, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up my samsung. I like small phones and I'm waiting until they get something that performs like a Treo 700 but is in the size of a samsung e715. I want it all - MP3 player, Video/Still Camera, GPS w/mapping, Mobile Windows, etc!

Once someone has built that in a small package, that will be the ultimate cell phone.

And what problems was he having?

Mostly poor reception and dropped calls. I just talked to Steve and his new company told him to get one and he has the same problems. His freebie LG gets better reception than his Treo.

Had/Have the same problems. I'm on my 2nd 650. I like the features, but the Palm OS is still buggy and as a phone it sucks. Low volume, dropped calls, locks up, have to turn on/off to recognize network, etc... I've heard going to Windows is supposed to alleviate many of those problems, but Palm left 600 and 650 users higha nd dry. For that reason, I won't ever buy one of their phones again.

My old Nokia got better reception than anything, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up my samsung. I like small phones and I'm waiting until they get something that performs like a Treo 700 but is in the size of a samsung e715. I want it all - MP3 player, Video/Still Camera, GPS w/mapping, Mobile Windows, etc!

Once someone has built that in a small package, that will be the ultimate cell phone.

thats not that small of a phone, and there are many smartphones with all those features, that are that size.

My old Nokia got better reception than anything, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up my samsung.  I like small phones and I'm waiting until they get something that performs like a Treo 700 but is in the size of a samsung e715.  I want it all - MP3 player, Video/Still Camera, GPS w/mapping, Mobile Windows, etc!

thats not that small of a phone, and there are many smartphones with all those features, that are that size.

really... which ones. I bet you own them all?

I have a Treo 650 with Bell Canada. I agree the volume is a tad low. I dislike that there is a proprietary plug-in jack because I can't use my regular headphones to listen to music or watch videos. I've been told that Treos through Bell use up more battery than Treos through Rogers Wireless. I have to charge my phone about every two days with normal day-to-day use. My old Nokia phones could last longer than the Treo.

Having said all of that, I still like the Treo 650! I really like the smartphone concept because everything is centralized. I've also found some cool free programs to use. None of them have caused my phone to lock up. I've been warned that adding too many different programs may cause the 650s to freeze.

Conconut Fern: This is a freeware version of Connect Four.

Diddlebug: This program functions like a jot pad. I really like this to take quick notes.

TCPMP: This is a free video player that recognizes several different movie formats. This program is useful because you don't need to convert the files to *.asf through Quick Install. You just load it onto the memory card and play it directly!

Now JR, why don't you share that Genesis emulator with us?! :)

I want it all - MP3 player, Video/Still Camera, GPS w/mapping, Mobile Windows, etc!

you can do that in any pda out there today. There are many gps programs avalible for wm5. http://www.wm5fixsite.com/index.php?option...id=17&Itemid=30. All the other features you want are standard on just about every pda/hone hybrid.

I love my treo. My parents pay for my plan, and in Canada our data plans are expensive. So I only use it for the phone, no internet. In my house I can chat on msn from the couch through bluetooth internet sharing. It's pretty sweet.

JR and for those who don't like the palm interface, I use facer 3 pro on mine, which modify's the appearance and makes it look good in my opinion. I just wish the phone wasen't so big.

I'm with Vapor though, a month after i got mine, bell begain offering a rebranded HTC smartphone. I was disapointed.

For those who read engadget and the like, check out the HELIO which just started shipping this week, the phone looks sick.

JR, I think I forgot to ask you, how is your Treo as far as holding service. I need to pick up something since my phone has too much trouble keeping adequate signals. Since you have Sprint as well, just wondered if there's many dropped calls.