Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dangle16

Kinda wondering....

So i was thinking, does anyone on MSH play college roller hockey and if so what is it like? Is it competitive or kind of like a joke?

I've played with some of the Ohio State Roller hockey team members here locally and they are very very good. I'm guessing it is definitely not a joke at all to them.

Depends on which college you play for. Lindenwood/BU/N.Eastern are top notch programs that come to mind. Pretty good players.

umm, neo, I wouldn't classify Northeastern as up there anymore with the top notch programs. Their glory days are behind them for now.

But the college level is pretty good. Lindenwood is by far the best around. Michigan state is usually strong too. Towson has been strong recently as well.

I'm guessing these colleges don't offer scholarships and the teams are picked from tryouts then right?

I'm about 90% sure that is how OSU does it. I think it falls more in line with a club style sport where the university might give some support, but not fully funded.

Depends on which college you play for.  Lindenwood/BU/N.Eastern are top notch programs that come to mind.  Pretty good players.

umm, neo, I wouldn't classify Northeastern as up there anymore with the top notch programs. Their glory days are behind them for now.

But the college level is pretty good. Lindenwood is by far the best around. Michigan state is usually strong too. Towson has been strong recently as well.

I played with/against some of the Michigan State guys last fall in what amounted to be a pickup game. They definately weren't playing all out against us, but it was still fun.

I played College RH at Purdue, in our good days, we suck now. We had an excellent team and I have met a lot of my best friends while doing so. College roller hockey is very comptetive and I have played against some great players (Jamie Buffalino of the Mudcats).

Scholarships are not offered by any school that I know of. Lindenwood used to give students scholarships and may still do but I am not sure.

Best 4 1/2 years of my life!

I played College RH at Purdue, in our good days, we suck now. We had an excellent team and I have met a lot of my best friends while doing so. College roller hockey is very comptetive and I have played against some great players (Jamie Buffalino of the Mudcats).

Scholarships are not offered by any school that I know of. Lindenwood used to give students scholarships and may still do but I am not sure.

Best 4 1/2 years of my life!

Did you guys play in any tournaments and how many games did you play in a season would you say?

I think we had around 20-25 games from September/October until March, then Nationals are in April. For nationals we went to California, Florida, Michigan and St. Louis.

Games were usually played in the threes or fours on a given weekend. Maybe twice a month.

A bunch of the guys on my adult leauge teams and my best friend play for the michigan state roller hockey program. They do not offer scholarships they hold try outs. Also there is an A team and a B team and if at anytime during the year a spot opens up on the A team then players from the B team are brought up. You could consider some of the guys on the B team as "kind of a joke" but everyone on the A team that i have ever played with are some of the best hockey players i know.

JR I'm amazed you could even play on that squad since you weren't part of the Pythons..haha..used to love to watch those guys run and gun..they wanted to be the Loyola Marymount of college roller...

college roller hockey is at a good level...guys like Greg Thompson (Suffolk Mutt Pro Stock Tour Burner) are established NARCh Pro and Team USA Players who will try to reach the level of Sniper 21 one day...and then you have the kids I coached in TX whom we affectionately referred to as "Squirts on Steroids" who played in the B division

the problem is that you can play forever...as long as you work for the school or take x amount of hours..people have been playing at MSU since the late 90's.....but really..if you want the sport to take the next leap in its perception by the NCAA etc..time to follow their rules..imagine if a guy like Gabe Gauthier decided to just stay and play at DU, he is after all a god there, and could because he took a job in the Sports Dept..

JR I'm amazed you could even play on that squad since you weren't part of the Pythons..haha..used to love to watch those guys run and gun..they wanted to be the Loyola Marymount of college roller...

LOL I thought the same thing.

Agreed on the legacy you could build there...FSU had a guy who was there for like 10 years...and one of my teammates had played for like 4 colleges in our division...

college roller hockey is at a good level...guys like Greg Thompson (Suffolk Mutt Pro Stock Tour Burner) are established NARCh Pro and Team USA Players who will try to reach the level of Sniper 21 one day...and then you have the kids I coached in TX whom we affectionately referred to as "Squirts on Steroids" who played in the B division

the problem is that you can play forever...as long as you work for the school or take x amount of hours..people have been playing at MSU since the late 90's.....but really..if you want the sport to take the next leap in its perception by the NCAA etc..time to follow their rules..imagine if a guy like Gabe Gauthier decided to just stay and play at DU, he is after all a god there, and could because he took a job in the Sports Dept..

I played in the ACRHA for several years, teams such as NC State(which has turned into a A+ program, with some real talent) UNC, UNC Charlotte, East Carolina, and about 7-8 more teams...Although Ive heard the league as a whole is kinda heading down hill, about 3-4 years ago they were some of the best most competitve games Ive ever played in....As far as the number of years you could play, I want to say our league was in the process of coming up with a cut off as far as numbers of years you could play when I was finishing up...