Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Chadd

Mission Intake

Fit - Definitely the most comfortable helmet I have ever used. The EPP inserts are very thick and feel great when on. Also the back of the helmet fits great with the new Mission fitting system they have, really makes it feel great. 10/10

Protection - No issues at all in the month or so I've had it. Stays in place well and I can't imagine anything hitting me hard enough for the helmet to not be effective. 9/10

Weight - Very light. Maybe not quite as light as the RBK 8K, but definitley lighter than my Nike Quest that I had. Mission w/ visor is about the same weight as my quest is w/out the visor. So it is definitely a light helmet. 9/10

Durability - Still in the beginning stages of usage of this helmet. I am going to assume that the EPP inserts are durable and will last a while. The helmet is well made and feels extremely solid. 9/10

Intangibles - Helmet is cooler than other helmets I have used, and definitely is one of the better looking helmets on the market. Plastic pulls out a little bit with my visor but doesn't effect the fitment at all. Sweat also doesn't get on my visor like it did with the Nike. 9/10

Conclusion - Extremely comfortable helmet that absorbs sweat great and keeps your head cooler than other helmets as well. Little on the expensive side of helmets but definitely worth it when it comes to comfort level. 9.5/10

Product: Mission Intake Small Helmet

FIT: 9/10

The fit on the Intake is great overall. It did take a little getting used to though after coming from a medium Bauer 5000. The Intake is very comfortable but it seemed to sit a little higher on my head that the 5000 did. It is by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever used though.

PROTECTION: 10/10

I have only taken two big hits so far in this helmet but it seems to protect just as well as any other dual-density helmet. It does fit fairly snug as well and doesn't move around very much which definately make it feel more protective and secure. The Intake also seems very well constructed, no poorly attached parts shaking around or coming loose.

WEIGHT: 10/10

The Intake is definately the lightest helmet I have used. I never really paid much attention to helmet weight but it is great to have a helmet that is light-weight but that still feels very study.

DURABILITY: 10/10

I have only used the helmet for about a month and a half now but so far it is holding up fine. The foam protection still intact and there doesn't seem to be any breakdown what-so-ever of the comfort pads thus far.

INTANGIBLES: 9/10

I personally love the look of the helmet and think that the way it sits on the head is superior to many of the other designs I have tried. The helmet also does seem slightly cooler than other helmets due to the airflow built into the design.

CONCLUSION: 10/10

While it took some getting used to the Mission Intake is one of the best performing helmets I have used or seen. The fit and aesthetics along with the low weight and durability make it the perfect package for anyone looking for a comfortable and protective helmet.

Product: Mission Intake Large Helmet

I had a $45 store credit at a local Play It Again Sports, and they were gushing about the Mission Intake.... the store was closing, and offered an additional 20% off everything in the store to cut moving costs... they JUST got the Intake in, so their loss was my gain.

FIT: 10/10

Coming from a Bauer 4000 helmet, the "Cellflex" foam did everything but flex. I felt real clunky. The adjustments on the Intake were really simple. I have a bigger head, so it felt like the Intake conformed to my head, instead of just placing itself on top. The EPP foam, with gel-foam inserts are about 50 times more confortable than the foam in the Bauer 4000.

I've only been playing ice hockey about a year, so I don't play with contact... just pickup, and drop-in sessions. I've only taken 1 or 2 diggers (since I've gotten better on my skates) but one of them I took note of- I fell backward pretty hard, and the helmet stayed on my head, thanks to the fit- but I'm putting on the "Protection" summary instead, because the fit alone plays into the protection. The "Mission Head-Lock" is supposedly what keeps the lid on. When I went backward with my Bauer, it would slip right off my head- making for some scary encounters..

I would have to say there isn't too noticeable difference in weight... I still wear my Bauer every so often and the major difference in feel is the fit, as opposed to the weight. I can't take fromt he score over that.

I've had this helmet for about 2 months, and no issues so far. However, I make it a point to put it out to dry after each skate, and I notice on the rare occasions I do forget it in the car- the gelfoam holds mosture like crazy... it will still be sobbing wet the next morning when I go out to bring it in. As it seems durable, if not taken care of properly, I can see the gel foam being an issue. Nothing a little T.L.C can't avoid.

INTANGIBLES: 10/10

The ventilation on the Intake is amazing. You can feel the air channeled through the helmet as you're putting around and it does keep my head cooler. (I shave my head, so I feel a noticeable difference) It also keeps my visro pretty clear, as there's more space on the Intake than the Bauer.

CONCLUSION: 10/10

As a beginner, I was just looking to try something new. My Bauer got smelly and dirty fast... however with the ventilation, and proper care by drying- the Mission Intake have been a better experience. It conforms to the head, and the Mission Head Lock keeps the lid intact in the even of a spill. The fit, and EPP foam are piece of mind enough in knowing you're safe out there.

Product: Large Mission Intake Helmet

Fit: 10/10

I have always used Bauer 5000 helmets, and this helmet blows them away the soft "dynamo" liner on the inside is very comfortable. Fitting the helmet to my head was simple. The adjustments are easy, and can be done with a screwdriver in seconds.

Protection: inc.

Fortunately I haven’t been able to see how well the helmet protects my head. As far as I can tell though, headlock in the back of the helmet helps. It is supposed to reduce concussions, and I can see that it would probably work.

Weight: 10/10

To me, weight isn’t that important in a helmet, but this helmet IS light compared to what I used to wear. I think this has to do with the ventilation holes throughout the helmet.

Durability: 10/10

To me this is very important. My 5000's ALWAYS used to split on the sides of the helmet, rendering it useless. The Mission is still in great shape. There are no cracks and the foam on the inside is still stiff, the dynamo liner is still soft.

Intangibles: 10/10

The coolest thing to me is how cool this helmet keeps your head. When I first started playing with it, i felt as if my helmet was sitting on top of my head. In actual fact, it was the air hitting my forehead, due to the ventilation. As Mission says, this is "the coolest helmet in hockey"

Overall: 10/10

This is the best helmet on the market right now, without a doubt. Its comfortable, durable, simple to adjust, and the ventilation keeps your head cool during the game. I can see why so many NHLers are using it.

Medium Mission Intake Helmet

Fit: 9/10

I have used two bauer 5000 helmets before this and really like the Mission helmet. Now I gave it a 9/10 because the helmet is extremely comfortable and fit my head well. My reason for the 1 point deduction was just how tall the helmet is. Remember kids, it’s not how you play, but how you look.

Protection: 8/10

Not that I have been hurt using this helmet, but the one drawback is that if I take a shot to the head, I do feel it a little more than when using the Bauer 5000. Maybe it is how I get hit, or maybe I just got hit so hard in my Bauer helmet that I can’t remember anything. Really any helmet out there is going to protect you well, it is all just an opinion on my part.

Weight: 10/10

This helmet is very light in my opinion. I use the Itech TI cage with it and the whole package is much lighter then the Bauer helmet I used previously.

I have had this helmet for about 8 months and it looks like it is still new. By now my Bauer helmet would have started to have problems with the padding inside, where as with the Mission helmet the padding still feels like new and there are no signs of anything starting to fall apart.

Intangibles: 8/10

The helmet does help keep your head cool, which is a very big plus, but like I said before, I think the helmet looks a little too tall. I think the Bauer helmet is a little shorter and provides a better look, but if I was going to buy another helmet anytime soon, it would be another Intake.

Overall: 9/10

Really the only helmet that I believe competes with this is the RBK helmet. From what limited experience I have with the RBK helmet, I believe that the Intake is a better made helmet at a slightly better price point. I have been extremely happy with my Mission Intake and would recommend it to anyone looking for a new helmet.

Mission Intake

(Senior Medium - Black)

Reason for purchase:

Bought to replace my Bauer 5000

Type of use:

Ice hockey leagues (w/ contact) 2-3x per week

Fit: 9/10

The only reason why I didn't rate this section at a 10/10 is that the helmet still employs screws for adjusting the main fit. One of the features I had liked about my Bauer 5000 was the flip clip - and you didn't have to worry about screws coming loose or stripping. The occipital lock doesn't apply very much pressure on the back, so I'd say that it only very minimally ensures that the helmet will remain in place moreso than others. Overall though, the fit was very snug and comfortable.

Protection: 9/10

I underwent several checking drills over the past couple of days, and did not have any negative feedback about the protection that this helmet seems to provide. Very solid without being too solid.

Weight: 9/10

It is light enough for you not to notice it... I tried on both the RBK 8K and Mission Intake and to be honest didn't notice that much of a difference. Sure you can probably feel an extra ounce if you're holding the two, but once on your head, you won't notice it...

So far so good, but I haven't had it long enough to really warrant any true durability feedback on the longevity of the construction. It does feel very well made though.

Intangibles: 9/10

The first time I skated with this, I noticed right away how cool my head felt (ice hockey). My main problem with my Bauer 5000 was that especially at the end of a shift I really noticed how hot my head was feeling and it seemed to wear me down. Not once with the Intake did I have this problem, I entirely forgot I had a helmet on (except when I got hit in the head) - which is in my mind a successful helmet - what more could you ask for. My ONLY problem with the Mission Intake is the graphics that are printed on the soft padding inside the helmet to diagram the airflow. They're printed with a blue ink which rubbed off on my forehead within a matter of minutes... It's not needed, so hopefully future models don't employ this approach (Plus, why do you need graphics on the INSIDE of your helmet?).

Overall: 9/10

This is certainly the best helmet I have ever owned. Aside from the aforementioned Bauer 5000, I have also used the old-school Jofa (not fair to hold in the same category) and an old CCM. Why not a 10/10? Don't get me wrong, this is a GREAT helmet, but I think that with the technology advances in equipment that Mission's next model will be even better. For now though, I'm convinced that it's the best one on the market.

UPDATE 3/30:

While leaving the ice after my game last night, I removed my helmet and noticed my hair was still dry... this never was the case with my Bauer 5000 - I was always soaked.

Edited by johnnyi

Product: Mission Intake Large

FIT: 8.5/10

I have worn Bauer 5000's, The lemuix style nike helmets and the jofa in the past, the mission intake has the best fit on the sides and the back of all helmet I've had. The only problem i have is the front, all the gel has gone because it is so clsoe to my forehead.

I am a powerforward, crash and banger type of player and because of that i use to get headaches once in a while with my older helmets after i made a big hit agianst the boards. I used the Mission intake for one season and did not feel any head injuries the entire season.

I have never noticed the helmet on my head, it is the lightest helmet i have ever worn in a game.

After one season of wearing the helmet i thought there mite be a chipped piece of plastic or something but nothing. I thought the clear plastic pieces on the side were going to break but again nothing.

INTANGIBLES: 9.5/10

The best part of the helmet is how the sweat has not yet dripped down my face. I am a very picky person when things are around my eyes and always have to scratch it if i feel something but as of today i have not yet felt a drip of sweat. Also i do liek the look, looks great with my itech cage.

CONCLUSION: 9/10

The greastest helmet i have had to date. Will not buy a different helmet probably until another mission comes out.

Edited by oggy_3

Large Mission Intake

Fit - The helmet fits realy well, i have no problems or complaints with the fit. 10/10

Protection - Now ive been rocked a couple times wearing this helmet and ive had no head injuries or anything, compared to my old helmet which i got two concusiosn with in one yr. 10/10

Weight - It is very light, i really cant tell there is anything on my head when im skating, it is amazingly light... very nice 10/10

Durability - Mine has held up fairly well through 2 years now, the foam in some spots seems to of almost dissapeared and it seems to scratch and scuff fairly easy, although most of that is probably my fault... 8/10

Intangibles - The helmet doesnt "over-heat" at all... very good airflow and that is prob the reason i like it so much. It also looks fairly good although i think it seems so sit kind of high compared to the rbk or new ccm helmet, some of the reviews say no sweat drips down on there visor, i have found that some does drip down on my visor and face ... not a big issue though 9/10

Conclusion - I love this helmet, looks good, protects good, keeps your head cool, its durable, it isnt to expensive, i dont know what else to ask for in a helmet, i love it 9.5/10

Size: Larger

Colour: Black

Head Size: 7 3/8"

Fit -

I use a large Intake and it's only stretched a little. I've switched from using the original Bauer 5000 with the small gel inserts. Although I had the Bauer for about 8 years it constantly gave me headaches. Since switching to the Mission the headaches have stopped. I find it fits a little higher on the head than the old 5000 but feels very comfortable. I was sceptical of the MHL on the Intake and thought it to be a little gimmicky and have yet to notice the helmet actually need it. All in all, the Intake fits comfortably in all 360 degrees of my head. 10/10

Protection - I've been using the Intake in some semi professional games and have take some had hits without fail. I haven't had a single problem in the 1+ years I've been wearing it. As I do with all my helmets, I took the ear protectors out and got clipped in teh ear with a stick. It would have been worse in the old 5000, but since the Intake sits higher, my ear wasn't folded out as much as in teh past. I can't fault the helmet for the ear though, as I remved a piece of protection. 10/10

Weight - Very light. Seems about as light as my old Cooper 3000 from way back in the day. No problems with the weight at all. Stays very dry and soaks up absolutly no sweat, thus keeping it light all game. 9/10

Durability - It's held up in tough games and has taken a few good whacks in the nearly two years I've had it. Very durable in all cases, even the gel inside has stayed glues, something that can't be said for my old 5000. 10/10

Intangibles - Coolest helmet I've ever worn. I noticed the vents immediately, something I've not noticed in the past. Fitment with an Itech HS22 pro-wave it great. The only issue is that it looks huge on my head, very tall. Not a problem though. 10/10

Conclusion - Best helmet I've ever worn. I paid $100 for it when they were new and I can't complain. It's done a faithful job for me. The only thing I would suggest Mission do in the future is add tool free sizing. 10/10

MISSION INTAKE HELMET

Cage/shield: Bauer 8500 and 9500 cages, Oakley shield

Time Used: 3 years

Fit

The Intake fits my head perfectly. I must have a wider head as I couldn't fit into any of the cheap Bauer helmets that seemed so narrow. I was a size large for most other manufacturers but a medium in the Intake. The EPP pads have been comfortable, much more so than the old yellow foam helmets were. I always remembered as a kid HATING helmets because they squeezed my head and were so uncomfortable, but this is like wearing nothing on your head at all. 10/10

Protection

I haven't taken too many spills with my helmet, although I did get slew footed and hit the back of my head on the ice. I got some whiplash, but the helmet stayed on and no concussion. The occipital lock is a life saver and I will never buy a helmet without it. 10/10

Weight

When I first got the helmet, I used it without a visor or cage. Never noticed it on my head. It's much lighter than the helmets I worse as a kid. Can't ask for anything lighter. 10/10

Durability

The outside of the helmet and the pads have held up great. But the screws are another story. When I attached a cage for the first time, the inserts fell out of place and I had to rip out the foam in the front to get them back in. After a year, the cage started getting rusty and when I went to install a new cage, the screws had rusted themselves onto the helmet. It took several hours to get the screws and inserts out, and now the helmet is mangled up pretty good. I think rust-proof screws would make a lot more sense, as well as a better screw retention mechanism (springs or clips). 7/10

Price

For what this helmet offers, top of the line EPP protection, occipital lock, and ventilation, it is a bargain. It is priced lower than comparable helmets. 10/10

Intangibles

I've heard this helmet offers more cooling on the ice with the vents. While it's cooler than any helmet I've used as a kid, it's still pretty hot on the bench and I do take it off between shifts later in the game. The EPP padding doesn't soak up sweat like the old style foam, so you will need to have a towel or something to keep it from running in your eyes. Other than that, I don't notice it's on, which is a great thing for protective equipment. It doesn't look bad, but newer helmets seem to look better.

Conclusion

This is a fantastic helmet for the money with great protective features. Just be sure to check the screws and replace them frequently.

Overall - 9.5/10