Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnboy16

Warrior sticks

To add to the concept that players are using new sticks and such all the time, isn't it just recently that we started to see a couple of players start using the brand new Bauer one90 stick towards the end of the season?

yipperzz  Posted on May 9 2006, 02:08 PM

QUOTE (flip12 @ May 9 2006, 01:40 PM)

They not trying something different. If they were, they wouldn't stick with it. I don't know any pros but the most reasonable thought is that they use the sticks because they like the way they feel to them more than other sticks. I don't think I'd care that much what the thing looked like if it felt great and I played better with it. Looks only count so much.

how would you know what to use if you didn't try something different and experiment with different equipment? do you buy only one type/brand of gear and stick with it for the rest of your life?

I mean, they're not trying it out if they're using it in games and we see them using these sticks in pictures, in person, on tv. If they're using something in a game, they've probably tried it out already in practice for a while before they decided to make a switch. Of course, they all try things out, try out new sticks, it's just that guys like Modano have used these sticks all season, Pronger, and Peca too. So many guys have switched to them without switching to anything else yet. Marleau now uses them and he's used Ultralites for a long time. Jeff Friesen is, and as he is pretty fickle with his sticks, he'll probably switch soon. Some guys switch more than others. This is all conjectural of course, I'm just inferring that with all the practice time these guys have, if there's something new, they're playing around with it there before it shows up in a game and then games when they stick with it all season. The guys that have consistently used it are probably not still thinking of it as trial mode.

To add to the concept that players are using new sticks and such all the time, isn't it just recently that we started to see a couple of players start using the brand new Bauer one90 stick towards the end of the season?

We've only seen one, and that was Simon Gagne. He used it in the playoffs

Maybe the sheer amount of Easton's breaking every shift (As Seen on TV!) has something to do with the shift......maybe every time someone leans into a one timer they wonder if the shot will get off and that has some of them switching up.

Maybe the sheer amount of Easton's breaking every shift (As Seen on TV!) has something to do with the shift......maybe every time someone leans into a one timer they wonder if the shot will get off and that has some of them switching up.

Good point!

You can add Vapor Lite XXX's to the list of sticks that are frequently "converted" into two pieces during NHL games.

Has anyone seen a Warrior break on TV? I know I've never seen Pronger snap one of his twigs and he really gives his stick a pounding on his slappers.

Has anyone seen a Warrior break on TV? I know I've never seen Pronger snap one of his twigs and he really gives his stick a pounding on his slappers.

I think it was Pronger who broke one in Game 1 of the Oilers-Sharks series, but you are right, I can't remember seeing Dolomites brake very often. But that can be decieving too. For example, on some sticks (e.g., Hex), the blade goes soft before anything actually breaks, so I'm sure that players often grab a brand new stick long before you'd see it snap on TV.

Patty Marleau snapped one in the first game of round 1. Made me shed a small tear.

I'd rather have a stick that goes soft on me. Having one break when you're out on the ice can really suck bad. Even if you get a crack, being able to finish the shift with the stick is HUGE sometimes.

Straight from the workhorse's mouth.

Chris Pronger says, and I quote: "New stick. More confidence," Pronger smiled. "I'm getting a lot more on the shots. It's more of a weapon, instead of passing to my partner on the point. Now the opposition has to pay attention to me. I'm getting more action on the shots, stuff off the goalie where there's more rebounds."

The article says "A lot of that started in January when Chris switched to a different kind of composite stick, one that wasn't breaking as much as the one he started the season with."

More action on the shots? More of a weapon? More confidence? Hmm this is an NHL player we're talking about here. And one that ... pretty sure he doesn't need endorsment money: I know where he lives and he's not burning money like most NHLer's. Oh well maybe I'm wrong, maybe he's getting paid to endorse a crappy stick. But what's the evidence?

well i'm sure if the performance of the OPS are similiar then they'll just go with the one with better durability. Kepp in mind though that a player like peca never used OPS's and he finally tossed his woodie for a dolomite. makes you wonder.

that Pronger quote should silence the warrior hype haters ... yeah right.

I don't think I've ever heard a player attribute an improvement in their game to new equipment.

I remember Sakic talking about whippier sticks helping him out around '97, maybe it was in ESPN's original hockey preview mag (was such a good issue). I think he was talking about T-Flex Graphites because he'd just switched to them.

Just had my first full game with my dolomite wow it puts my 05 stealth to shame much more velocity on the shot and my wrister is money now, plus the blade feel is better.

well i'm sure if the performance of the OPS are similiar then they'll just go with the one with better durability. Kepp in mind though that a player like peca never used OPS's and he finally tossed his woodie for a dolomite. makes you wonder.

Updating equipment does help. Shanny rocking his new gloves, skates and dolomite had an improved year. I remember watching an interview with him on OLN with regards his new stuff, can't quote specifics, but he was happy he made the step into the new millenium.

So far my dolomites are performing well, as well if not better than my old innos. Can't really give an indicator for durability. Aside from the questionable pimp marketing i don't see why Warrior gets the bashing it does. Just becaus eit is old technology doesn't mean it wasn't high performance. They've improved distribution and awareness, and seem to have retained QC levels..

So can we get a Warrior rep or a decorated twigologist to explain to us why so many professionals are using a Polished Turd?

If we cut into a Domlite, would we find flubber or something?

They are turning around custom product in alarmingly quick periods of time and the product is correct from the time the sticks leave the factory.

What he said.

Just had my first full game with my dolomite wow it puts my 05 stealth to shame much more velocity on the shot and my wrister is money now, plus the blade feel is better.

I just bought a pro stock Dolomite. I can't wait to compare it with the CNT's I have.

Cmon lets not slam warrior's marketing. They repaint the same product and had a new campaign but the products are quality and was hard to get, now they make it easier to get at the same price.