Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joker518

Helmet Foam Padding Glue?

I'm the default "equipment manager" for my beer league roller hockey team and some other misc. folks I play pick up ice games with. A lot of you have probably have had a CCM HT-2 or Bauer 3000 sort of helmet with single layer foam affixed to the helmet shell with some sort of adhesive... And you also know that after a few years, the glue tends to dry out in some helmets and the padding comes out (either completely or partially)...

Has anyone had any success getting the pads to stick back in position as good as they originally were? Currently, I use hot glue only seems to be a temp fix. Is there something better out there that will bond the foam to the plastic?

Thanks!

OBLIGATORY DISCLAIMER: I apologize in advance if this has been asked before recently (since there's a healthy core of folks here who love to jump down your throat if thats the case). I did a search and came up empty.

3-M weatherstrip adhesive-the yellow "Gorilla snot" type stuff

Dry in 10 minutes and wont come loose-Its a contact cement so put it on one piece and stick it to the other-pull them apart and let the glue dry to the touch-restick it and your done!

Make sure that the pieces are aligned correctly,you've only one shot at this

I used silicon based glue(caulking works) on my 3000. Worked really well...Gorilla glue is good too. Just make sure you have clamps on either of those since you gotta wait a bit for it to dry. I haven't had any problems with pads coming loose again after using either of those glues.

I used regular Elmer`s contact cement ( 3M is definitely better stuff, but the local hardware store only carries the big tubes of it, you could do either 25 helmets with it or use the little you need and let the rest of it dry up ) on my CCM HT-2 helmets. Glue the pieces up, and then use clothespins to clamp them in place overnight. Good to go......

Those are all excellent ideas, I'm especially interested in the weather stripping adhesive, that seems ideal. Thanks guys.

:P

Trust me-the 3-M weatherstrip glue works for most anything-I've even repaired torn foam in goal pads with it-just clean the inside of the helmet with a little alcohol first

One nice thing about the "Gorilla Snot"-once you stick the peices together you dont need to clamp and let the glue set-just press them together firmly and your good to go(as long as you let the glue dry to the touch first-if you dont let it dry first the bond is not as strong and you need to clamp it)